Inexpensive glasses

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Donedirtcheap

I have had good luck with Zenni optical. I'm very hard on my glasses because of various mechanical, remodeling, welding projects so why keep paying over $200.00 for glasses when everything else I purchase says made in China on it. I may as well cut out the middleman because hes probably selling me the same product. Polycarbonate, progressive $56.00. Regular non bifocals around $30.00

They have to give you your prescription when you pay for an exam. You do not have to buy from them. When you get the prescription it will sometimes not include the PD measurement. They want you to sit down and have them measure your PD as they are selling you glasses. Some will want to charge you extra for the PD. They want you to think its ooogly googly scary high tech stuff that shouldn't be attempted by you or you will go blind.

Zenni's site tells what PD is and how to measure it. Its at the bottom of the home page. Its not a big deal but people often get discouraged at this point.

I had an optometrist at Walmart check my glasses and she said they are fine and they are what my scrip says and asked me why I ask, I said because I ordered them on line at Zenni. She didn't say anything.

http://www.zennioptical.com/men

I'm not profiting in any way. I don't have friends, relatives or know anyone that works there. I don't get a discount or any free products
but sure wish I did.

I think the only problem I would have buying glasses online with this site or any other is vanity. Sending frames etc. back and forth could/is a drag. Glasses are such a personal thing because they're smack dab in the center of one's face.
I'm glad they work for you tho.

[... edited by moderator to remove references to already-deleted derogatory posts]

Wal-mart treats me very well for my bifocals, they repair and adjust with no charge for way past any warranty. Also I like to get personal with the staff, can't do that on line.

I discovered buying glasses on line a few years back and have been very happy with the results. At the time I could not believe the prices they were charging here in NZ ffrom 700 up to 900nz (700us) for a pair of glasses, I do get progressive, transitional and I like nice frames but it was way over the top. I would usually wait till I was back in North America but I needed them and found Clearly Contact online so took a chance, I have had two pairs from them and have been happy with the results, measuring the PD was the only issue but that was not a big deal as you said. The last pair I bought cost me 200nz (160us) tax in and delivered progressive/transitional massive price difference. I will check out Zenni next time to see their frame selection. thanks for the heads up. fk

Back in '04 I got a good pair of steel frames at WalMart on sale. Since, I've had new lenses put in the same frames at Wally's 4-5 times for reasonable prices. They have replaced all the screws and nose piece a couple times at no charge.
I wear bi-focals and don't spend for lineless or other extras. I think last time it was about $60. My eye test is free at the V.A.

Zil said:
Wal-mart treats me very well for my bifocals, they repair and adjust with no charge for way past any warranty. Also I like to get personal with the staff, can't do that on line.

... I too have bought from Walmart and they were about $225.00 and they did not live up to their scratch warranty. I may be wrong but I didn't notice anything in your post pertaining to inexpensive. In the future if you do try alternative sources that can offer us a huge savings please come back and share it.

Yes, there is a risk of not getting what you like the first time you buy on line. I and others have weighed the risk of even throwing away a pair or two of glasses because they were wrong so that we reach the point where we can consistently order and enjoy a huge savings. Thanks

[... derogatory comments removed by moderator]

My savings comes in having hand selected a set of frames I felt would last and simply replacing lenses locally saves me both hassle and bucks.

I think checking online prices/service is good for lots of things. If it works for you it might well be useful to someone here.

Appreciate the shared knowledge ;)

For some people reading glasses are all they need (they are just a few dollars at Walmart, dollar stores, eBay...).

Donedirtcheap... thanks for the review on Zenni. I've ran across them before but had no first hand knowledge of them. I may try them now.

Like some of the others, the pair I have now came from walmart at a cost of about 250.00 since I require the anti-glare coating also. 175.00 of that was the lenses only. The rest was exam and frames.

It's now two years later and I am noticing my prescription starting to change...I was grinding my teeth about spending that much money again just two years later... this maybe my solution.

If you are ever in Zona, Algodonas, Mexico is good to go for glasses. I don't wear them so this is not personal experience. The folks I have spoken to tell me they buy a couple of pairs at a time. Eye exam, go to lunch, come bacxk and pick them up. $50 or $60 bucks a pair.

I think I might go get an eye exam and give Zenni a try. I need glasses and my current ones are so old and scratched that I can't see through them, so I've gone without wearing them. (Why yes, I do sit 3" from my screen!)

I got glasses in Algadonez a couple of years ago. As expected, the advertized prices didn't apply to high-index lenses, so it was $250 for two pair+exam (reading and driving) and it took a week to have them made. I'm sorry I did not get the anti-scratch coating, (another week delay is why I didn't) since they will need to be replaced soon since they are getting scratched up.

owl said:
If you are ever in Zona, Algodonas, Mexico is good to go for glasses. I don't wear them so this is not personal experience. The folks I have spoken to tell me they buy a couple of pairs at a time. Eye exam, go to lunch, come bacxk and pick them up. $50 or $60 bucks a pair.

Obviously buying on line is limited to using their option that lets you upload your photo and use their simulator to get some idea of what the glasses would look like. So your idea is a great option if people are able to go to Mexico. I haven't shopped in Mexico but may give it a try. My wife just doesn't say much when I mention her ordering on line so I'll give her another choice. Lol. MEXICO.

I'm looking at an add for glasses in Algodones. Single vision $19, bifocal $29 per pair, regular frames, plastic clear scratch-coated lenses.
Here---http://www.algodonesoptical.net/

I use walmart. $120 for premium frames, bifocal lens, and when i broke the frame about a year or so later they fixed them free. got them in SC got them fixed in OK. Did not need a passport. Did not need to wait for delivery.
Except when i first purchased, needed to come back a few days later.

Just wanted to chip in again:

I made an appt. with America's Best, they offer free eye exams if you get 2 pair of glasses at $70 for both. Will report back when I see them.