in lieu of flowers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
I am sure that for many here the sudden loss of their friend and fellow forum member HDR was/is still a shock.

As most of us know HDR was a big fan of Radio Goldfield which is NON profit mom and pop radio station.

I called the station to make a donation in lieu of flowers to the station in memory of HDR.

They give one 30 second statement announced 4x a day for a month during the programs they air for my donation size.

For me I can't think of a better way for to say thanks for all the input he gave me than to donate to this great non profit that he enjoyed so much.

I am posting this here to not only let others know that this is possible to do in lieu of flowers if any are so inclined but to get a little feedback on how to fill the 30 seconds spot.

I was hoping to formulate some kind of homage/poem or the similar..and because my interactions with him were here on the forum I could use maybe some assistance.

Right now I basically have the following..

"Desert_sailing sending out a big thank you for not banning him on the forum. HDR these tunes are for you. Enjoy them wherever you are  and keep on digging."

Thats not even close to 30 seconds long and nobody wants to hear my thanks for not being banned 4x a day for a month.

So if you have any suggestions that maybe I could incorporate..maybe you know he had a special saying he used regularly or if he had a particular habit.. a favorite writing that I could parse..etc. any special and fun occurrence around the campfire or out in the hills digging? I would like the statement to be more inclusive to his spirit than just me and my forum interactions with him.

Please feel free to post suggestions here if your so inclined. I will put my statement together and sending it to the station Friday the 8th.

Of course  you are also able to make your own donation to Radio Goldfield if you like and write your own. Arrangements can be made by calling the station directly.

https://kgfn.org/

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Donating to HOWA in his name would be good too.

He loved that tune from Paint Yer Wagon......."I was Born a Wandering Star"...Perhaps a song dedication for the "Old Prospector....HighDesertRanger"

I'm in to help $

JIM.......this needs Mike's NAME ?

DAMN ALS !

Oh, no! I didn't realize HDR passed away! Is there an original post detailing when and how, etc.? That's so sad. He was so helpful and kind and was one of the people I would've liked to meet in person one day.

I’m not in a position to donate, but I am listening to KGFN right now. Pokey LaFarge.

I like the idea of playing a 30 second excerpt of the "Wandering Star" song Doug mentioned. Though we are also thankful for not getting banned, I think the song idea is better.
-crofter

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]""I was born under a wandrin' star[/font]
[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]I was born under a wandrin' star
Wheels are made for rollin'
Mules are made to pack
I've never seen a sight that didn't look better looking back
I was born under a wandrin' star
Mud can make you prisoner, and the plains can bake you dry
Snow can burn your eyes, but only people make you cry
Home is made for comin' from, for dreams of goin' to
Which with any luck will never come true
Do I know where hell is?
Hell is in hello
Heaven is goodbye for ever, it's time for me to go
A wandrin' wandrin' star
When I get to heaven tie me to a tree
Or I'll begin to roam, and soon you know where I will be

A wandrin' wandrin' star""
[/font]

I definitely agree crofter/abnorm... the song would be much better. Great suggestions. I'm not sure how that would work for the station and their programming. We didn't discuss that at all... and I didn't even think of asking.

I'll give them a call tomorrow. of course I'm not the group coordinator per se but would like the "in lieu of" to be enjoyed by everyone who got to share time with HDR... whatever form that took.

I have been away from forum for several weeks. ((Had surgery). And I come back to hear we lost Highdesertstranger. Before I joined this site I believe I read everything ever posted. What I think about was his knowledge on just about everything! And he had an outstanding sense of humor! I did not know him personally, but his presence will be missed.

I am sorry for all who lost a great friend!