Import camper vehicle from Japan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freded

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with importing a camper vehicle from Japan? There seems to be some companies out there but I can’t find anyone who has actually done it. I don’t mind things like right hand steering, diesel or even waiting awhile but sending money off to some different company overseas..:all not so much. Thanks for any input. Fred

You'll find complying with your target country's safety and pollution regs makes this a very lengthy and expensive proposition.

Found this, which is why he's only talking about 25-y.o. antiques

>> "If the vehicle is at least 21 years old, there are no EPA compliance requirements upon importation. A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS)."

Which vehicle is so appealing to you that it's worth the money and trouble to import? I don't mean that as an insult or anything. I'm just curious. It must be pretty cool.

Folks have been combining European vacations with vehicle purchases and imports for a while. Buy the vehicle, drive it in country for a couple of months, then ship it back home.

Some of the Japanese products may also be available in other West Pacific Countries, maybe even Australia. Yeah, the 'vacation' adds to the expense, but it is an expense that has multiple benefits.

The European manufacturer sells the American regs-compliant model to people doing that.

There are companies that can retro-fit foreign models to be compliant, but to do for a once-off usually like doubles the original cost.

Even if you can bring one in what about insurance? Over 25 years would probably be collector car insurance with all the mileage limitations and other restrictions that those policies have.

And then there is the parts issue. Break down on the highway. Not going to Pep Boys for your fuel pump. Or even your oil filter.

Just so many considerations.

freded said:
Does anyone have experience with importing a camper vehicle from Japan? There seems to be some companies out there but I can’t find anyone who has actually done it. I don’t mind things like right hand steering, diesel or even waiting awhile but sending money off to some different company overseas..:all not so much. Thanks for any input. Fred

These guys have videos about restoring Class B's from Japan. They're all used. Iwould worry about parts but they're pretty awesome.
http://pacificcoastjdm.com/pastexports