I'm an RV Owner!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttpadilla

Reaction score
So, my fabulous mother, despite my resistance, finally convinced me to accept her motorhome, so that I can start my new life without adding $15,000 in truck/trailer loan debt. It's a 1996 Bounder 28T, and it might need some work. We're going to have it inspected (especially tires as it's been parked for a while), oil changed, a few other minor repairs, but other than those items, the one thing I'm really interested in is a tankless water heater. They do have them for RVs, right? Are they expensive? Difficult to install?

Also, this RV has a built-in generator that has never been run since she bought it. What kind of maintenance should we do on that?

I'm currently hooked up to a standing 90g propane tank, but will get two portable tanks to take along.

Oh! Trailer for towing the car. Rent for the initial trip down to Sequoia? Save until I can buy one of my own for cash, right? Recommendations on type? Car Dolly? I have a pretty small Chevy "Classic" 4D Sedan. I'm worried about the difference between the hitch height on the back of the Bounder, and the ball coupler on the dollies I've seen. Seems like quite a vertical reach.

So excited to finally have things to work on, rather than waiting for things to happen!

Congratulations! I understand the feeling of finally having something concrete to work on after much time planning. Can't wait to see pics.

Cheers

Nana4Twins said:
So, my fabulous mother, despite my resistance, finally convinced me to accept her motorhome, so that I can start my new life without adding $15,000 in truck/trailer loan debt.  It's a 1996 Bounder 28T, and it might need some work. We're going to have it inspected (especially tires as it's been parked for a while), oil changed, a few other minor repairs, but other than those items, the one thing I'm really interested in is a tankless water heater.  They do have them for RVs, right?  Are they expensive?  Difficult to install?

Also, this RV has a built-in generator that has never been run since she bought it. What kind of maintenance should we do on that?

I'm currently hooked up to a standing 90g propane tank, but will get two portable tanks to take along.

Oh!  Trailer for towing the car.  Rent for the initial trip down to Sequoia?  Save until I can buy one of my own for cash, right?  Recommendations on type?  Car Dolly? I have a pretty small Chevy "Classic" 4D Sedan. I'm worried about the difference between the hitch height on the back of the Bounder, and the ball coupler on the dollies I've seen.  Seems like quite a vertical reach.

So excited to finally have things to work on, rather than waiting for things to happen!

Is there something wrong with the existing water heater?

It works, but there's never enough hot water to actually enjoy the shower. Or shave both your legs. Or shampoo AND condition your hair. If I have a water hookup, I just want to enjoy a nice, long, hot shower once in a while. It's been over a year for me. So far, I'm not understanding the tankless water heaters I'm seeing on Amazon. People keep saying you can't mount them inside? They're portable and start on D batteries?

For towing they have drop hitches to solve your problem.

Unless you have full hookups including sewer, it is inadvisable to add a tankless hot water heater unless you closely monitor the amout of water you're using. I've seen people add them and then fill their waste tank in a day.

What tends to work better is to add an on/off switch so you're not wasting any water when you're not actually using it. Some people switch out the shower head for a kitchen sink sprayer.

The frequency in needing holding tank dumps has been a problem for many RV owners.

Nana4Twins said:
It works, but there's never enough hot water to actually enjoy the shower.  Or shave both your legs.  Or shampoo AND condition your hair.  If I have a water hookup, I just want to enjoy a nice, long, hot shower once in a while.  It's been over a year for me.    So far, I'm not understanding the tankless water heaters I'm seeing on Amazon.  People keep saying you can't mount them inside?  They're portable and start on D batteries?

I use one of the cheap portables from Camp Chef and it works great just have to do a bit of plumbing after you hang it on the wall.

Corky

Here's an example of the kind of drop hitch that will solve your height-difference problems:  http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Tr...015183&sr=8-12&keywords=drop+hitch+adjustable

The RV101 folks sell a nice training video on towing a car behind your motorhome.  It covers all three options; flat-towing, a tow-dolly, and a trailer in depth.  http://shop.rveducation101.com/towing-behind-your-motorhome-dvd-p15.php

Yeah, I would check with U-Haul to see if I could rent a tow-dolly one way. 

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Here's an example of the kind of drop hitch that will solve your height-difference problems:  http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Tr...015183&sr=8-12&keywords=drop+hitch+adjustable

The RV101 folks sell a nice training video on towing a car behind your motorhome.  It covers all three options; flat-towing, a tow-dolly, and a trailer in depth.  http://shop.rveducation101.com/towing-behind-your-motorhome-dvd-p15.php

Yeah, I would check with U-Haul to see if I could rent a tow-dolly one way. 

Regards
John

Thank you for that hitch link. That looks perfect! And, I think I need a 2" ball, but I'll double-check before I add that to my order. I researched tow methods last night, and unfortunately can't flat tow my car. But, from U-Haul, to rent a tow dolly going from here to Bakersfield, is a little over $100, and a little over $200 for a trailer. I don't much love the dolly, but to save $100 (and avoid the extra tow weight of the trailer) I think that's my best option. Thank you!

Off Grid 24/7 said:
For towing they have drop hitches to solve your problem.

Unless you have full hookups including sewer, it is inadvisable to add a tankless hot water heater unless you closely monitor the amout of water you're using.  I've seen people add them and then fill their waste tank in a day.

What tends to work better is to add an on/off switch so you're not wasting any water when you're not actually using it.  Some people switch out the shower head for a kitchen sink sprayer.

The frequency in needing holding tank dumps has been a problem for many RV owners.

That's a good point. My assigned campground is giving me FHU, but that won't always be the case. My grey-water tank only holds about two showers worth of water as it is.

Congratulations Tammi!!

There may be something wrong with the water heater you've got now that it's not getting you enough hot water. The heater element may be crusted with enough accumulation od rust and minerals that it's not getting the water up to full temp and therefore you're using more of what has been heated and less cold water to have the shower. A new element will cut down on the propane usage as well since it won't be working as hard.

To save propane, some RVrs have learned to do all the things that need hot water at the same time...wash dishes, have shower. They turn the hot water heater off and only turn it on, say a half hour, before it's needed.

I had a 35' Winnebago on the road and with using the water saver on the shower head never had a problem with having a full shower, shampoo, shave and conditioner with the 5 gallon water tank it came with. BUT you do have to use the water saver head, you can't do like in a S&B and just let the water run all the time. Households run on 60 gallon tanks!

Before replacing it, I'd have the element checked out.

Be prepared for sticker shock for the tires if you need them...it's gonna hurt, big time. I'm putting a grand into new tires and that's on a van... :(  Also you'll want the brakes including the emergency brake and wheel bearings checked since it's been sitting for a while. There's a way to tell how old the tires are, the date code is stamped on the tires. It's coded so you have to look it up online to interpret the coding. Anything over 5 years old should really be replaced, you don't need a blowout on an RV at 60 mph, trust me!

The generator will definitely need servicing. Since it's not been run in a long, long time, get it done professionally. Once it's been done you can easily do your own oil changes on it. I did them myself on the Onan in the RV because a shop wanted big bucks to do a 15 minute, sit on a step stool, easy job. Same as oil changes on the RV motor. Quick lube shops won't touch the RVs and an RV place wanted a 100 bucks to do an oil change that took the same filter and 5 qts of oil that the same engine in a pickup would have cost me $30. at the time.

Once the generator has been serviced, make sure that you 'exercise' it at least once a month. The generator manual will tell you how much and how long it needs.

I take it that since you're using an external tank for propane now that the RV has already been fitted for using external tanks. Check to see how much it would cost to have the onboard tank put back into service (it may need re-certification). The cost of filling the onboard tank as opposed to the cost of 20lb tanks can be less and you may save money in the long run. OTOH, having the ability to hook up 20lb tanks when you're parked for long periods of time is wonderful.

IIWM, I'd definitely look into renting a tow dolly for this first trip rather than buying. As to what you need (2 wheel or 4 wheel dolly), can't help there. Towing instructions should be in the car manual, if not contact a good dealer for info. There's no point in buying something now that you'll use once in the next six months.

I'm so happy for you. Your mother is wonderful! Give her a hug from me too!

So much great information, Almost There!! Thank you!

I have been trying to remember to turn off the water heater to practice saving propane. I did great last summer. Things get so hot here, that if my shower time was mid-to-late morning, the water was plenty warm enough without the water heater. I've also tried using the water saver on the shower head, but it drips freezing cold water that makes the entire shower experience miserable this time of year. We did replace the water heater last year, so I guess I'll just have to deal with short showers, for the time being!

Mom got a quote from Les Schwab on replacing the tires... $1000. Hopefully, they'll last a long time!

Good info on the generator maintenance, thanks!

Nana4Twins said:
So much great information, Almost There!!  Thank you!

I have been trying to remember to turn off the water heater to practice saving propane.  I did great last summer.  Things get so hot here, that if my shower time was mid-to-late morning, the water was plenty warm enough without the water heater.  I've also tried using the water saver on the shower head, but it drips freezing cold water that makes the entire shower experience miserable this time of year. We did replace the water heater last year, so I guess I'll just have to deal with short showers, for the time being!

Mom got a quote from Les Schwab on replacing the tires... $1000.  Hopefully, they'll last a long time!

Good info on the generator maintenance, thanks!

The shower head shouldn't leak when it's in the off position, try fiddling with it first but think about replacing it. Either that or just put it in the off position and then set it on the floor of the shower in between you using it so it's not dripping on your head.

Wow, you're getting a good deal on the tires!!

Almost There said:
Wow, you're getting a good deal on the tires!!

Yeah, considering they wanted me to pay like $600 just for 4 tires for my little car last year (which I didn't do. I went to WalMart), it's difficult to believe they're giving us six gigantic tires for only $1000.

You might wanna switch to taking ship showers.

you rinse yourself down, turn the water OFF, soap everything down, shampoo & shave, turn water ON and rinse off. Now you can enjoy the hot water until it's used up!
It takes alittle discipline...but you use a lot less water!

If you've not pulled a trailer much, then I'd suggest renting a car trailer OVER a tote-dolly, because with a full trailer, you can back it up and it's a lot easier to maneuver...something you can't do using a dolly! It also saves wear & tear on your car too! :D

I too was wondering about the on-board LP tank. (?)

N4T, thankyou, for being one of the few people who use the correct term, "Water Heater". "HOT Water Heater".... just irks me. Why heat HOT water?
Been considering the portable propane unit myself, for both home and van camping. Should be no problem using it inside, with good ventilation. It won't be running long. Being a guy with short hair, and ex-Navy, I am used to taking short showers.
I have friends who save much bucks on tires by using Sam's Club. The savings on four or six tires would easily pay off the yearly membership, and then some! :)

Nana4Twins said:
It works, but there's never enough hot water to actually enjoy the shower.  Or shave both your legs.  Or shampoo AND condition your hair.  If I have a water hookup, I just want to enjoy a nice, long, hot shower once in a while.  It's been over a year for me.    So far, I'm not understanding the tankless water heaters I'm seeing on Amazon.  People keep saying you can't mount them inside?  They're portable and start on D batteries?

Well you could just shave one leg one time and the other leg the next or maybe the bottom half one time and the top half the next. ;)  

I see from reading the posts that you are familiar with the navy shower process to save water.  Some people including myself keep the hot water thermostat set to a temperature that is comfortable for them using just the hot water in the shower.  That way you don't get the cold water drip with the shower head turned off.  Some people use a remote meat thermometer with the probe pushed in under the insulation next to the HW tank to set a specific temperature (usually between 100 to 110* F).  I just used my finger under the faucet until I got it set where I wanted it.  I only light the WH when I am going to need a fair amount of hot water.  For dishes and shaving (not my legs, I'm a geezer) I usually just heat a tea kettle.  For summer showers I use a solar shower.

The thermostat went out on my WH last year and I debated about going tankless. In the end I opted to just spend the $70 on a new thermostat.  It would be nice to get rid of that tank taking up space beneath my sink but I decided I wouldn't save all that much space plus my van only has a 15 gallon freshwater tank so when boondocking the 6 gallons in the WH can extend my stay. 

Having said all that, getting a nice long hot shower is a real treat.  By the way congrats on your new ride.

Howiet

Check the roof, the "rubber" only lasts 10-15 years. Much cheaper to repair if you catch it before it leaks.