I'm an RV Owner!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nana4Twins said:
That's a good point.  My assigned campground is giving me FHU, but that won't always be the case.  My grey-water tank only holds about two showers worth of water as it is.

I have found that "Full Hook Ups" may or may not include sewer hookups too.

In fancy expensive parks, it's usually included, anywhere else it's a roll of the dice.

When I was driving a large MH, I was mainly staying in parks with electricity. I added an electric add on option to the water heater, and bought a 2 burner electric hot plate to totally eliminate the need for propane if I had shore power.
I used electric heaters too.

That gives you the best of both worlds, shore power only when available, and propane if you're boondocking.

24/7. Is that a separate unit or an add on electric element?

LeeRevell said:
N4T, thankyou, for being one of the few people who use the correct term, "Water Heater".   "HOT Water Heater".... just irks me.  Why heat HOT water?
Been considering the portable propane unit myself, for both home and van camping.   Should be no problem using it inside, with good ventilation.  It won't be running long.  Being a guy with short hair, and ex-Navy, I am used to taking short showers.
I have friends who save much bucks on tires by using Sam's Club.  The savings on four or six tires would easily pay off the yearly membership, and then some!  :)

Lee, I worked in the construction services industry for 18 years, and learned the first week to say "water heater." It's just second nature now. :cool:

If I was paying for the tires, I would definitely go elsewhere. For some reason my mom loves Les Schwab, and at this point, she wants to pay for the tires. I figure if it makes her feel like I'm safer, and she's got the money, I'm going to stop arguing.

I'm used to taking short showers, too. And heating snow on the stove and using half to wash/rinse my hair, and the other half for my body during the big freeze this winter. But, it would be nice to have a choice. Not something I need to do every day, for sure.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
When I was driving a large MH, I was mainly staying in parks with electricity.  I added an electric add on option to the water heater, and bought a 2 burner electric hot plate to totally eliminate the need for propane if I had shore power.
I used electric heaters too.

That gives you the best of both worlds, shore power only when available, and propane if you're boondocking.

That's a good idea. I have often wished this whole thing was electric!

nana good for you. I got your last pm but thought you would post up that you got the rv and I would respond here. yes they make a on demand water heater for rvs fits right in where the tank heater goes Atwood a huge rv supplier makes them as well as a few others. looks like you got the drop hitch down. as far as the generator goes. when was the last time it ran? I would change the oil and filter first. if it was me I would change the spark plug, air and fuel filter. then give it a try. the worst case is the carburetor will have to be cleaned out. good luck glad you are well on your way. keep us informed. highdesertranger

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I have found that "Full Hook Ups" may or may not include sewer hookups too.

In fancy expensive parks, it's usually included, anywhere else it's a roll of the dice.

They specified water, sewer, electric, so hopefully that sticks. I've got my solar panel on the way, and I can bring water in from town, but sewer is more difficult to get along without. Clearly not impossible though. ;)

Patrick46 said:
You might wanna switch to taking ship showers.

you rinse yourself down, turn the water OFF, soap everything down, shampoo & shave, turn water ON and rinse off. Now you can enjoy the hot water until it's used up!
It takes alittle discipline...but you use a lot less water!

If you've not pulled a trailer much, then I'd suggest renting a car trailer OVER a tote-dolly, because with a full trailer, you can back it up and it's a lot easier to maneuver...something you can't do using a dolly! It also saves wear & tear on your car too! :D

I too was wondering about the on-board LP tank. (?)

I had been set up where I'm living now, for less than two weeks when the on-board LP tank ran out. No one would bring me propane, they wanted me to disconnect everything, and drive into town to get refilled. Town is 18 miles away. If I have two portable tanks, I can switch them out, and refill the empty when I drive my car into town for supplies.

highdesertranger said:
nana good for you.  I got your last pm but thought you would post up that you got the rv and I would respond here.  yes they make a on demand water heater for rvs fits right in where the tank heater goes Atwood a huge rv supplier makes them as well as a few others.  looks like you got the drop hitch down.  as far as the generator goes.  when was the last time it ran?  I would change the oil and filter first.  if it was me I would change the spark plug,  air and fuel filter.  then give it a try.  the worst case is the carburetor will have to be cleaned out.  good luck glad you are well on your way.  keep us informed.  highdesertranger

I'll get a professional on that generator for sure. Thank you, HDR, for all your help! I'll look into that on demand water heater from Atwood.