i'm a newbie!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
butterfly, you need to slow down! i can take a day yo go 150 miles. i like to stop a lot. one reason is that it gets uncomfortable sitting too long since i got my hip pain. i travel alone so it's not a problem, probably drive a partner crazy though. a friend told me that coming home from Vegas they stopped at a rest area and there was a native american family selling necklaces. i'm thinking there an agreement between the indians and the white man. one that hasn't been broken yet.<br><br>i'll let you guys know what happens. i think if i lay out a towel with jewelry on it, i can fold it up if i see a CHP. if i can find a place between the mens and womens restrooms, there usually someone waiting for someone, with time to look. this is all just in theory at this time, so i;ll keep you guys posted.<br><br>

Good luck .. or you cold always just say you're a surviving tribal member of the Newport Beach chapter of the Luiseno indians.

The laws are different in every state. &nbsp;In many you're allowed to sell whatever you want on the side of the road, and in some you're supposed to have a street vendors license. &nbsp;Usually first offense they'll just tell you not to do it, but you can get an expensive ticket.<div><br></div><div>When I&nbsp;traveled&nbsp;with my girlfriend who made/sold jewelry we hit up a lot of farmers markets (and I doubled our incomes there with foot rubs for five dollars), festivals, fairs, and road sides. &nbsp;We had zero luck with southwest flea markets, but other people seemed to do well.</div><div><br></div>

well, what i plan isn't really "roadside vending" which is definatly not allowed in san bernardino county. i'm going to try the rest areas along the way.<br>

You may find you get in more trouble from the sales tax people than the police.&nbsp; California makes event organizers verify sales tax paperwork, and fines the event for the estimated sales tax if they didn't collect it.&nbsp; Rest areas are run by the highway department, so may be legally roads.<br>

you always want to negotiate from a place of power. say you're chinese (a few gens removed) and are thinking of buying the place.

well, i tried, although not very hard. the only rest areas that are even open along the section of the I10 that i was on were the east and west Whitewater rest areas. i was heading east on monday and tried, but there weren't many resters. heading west today (sunday) it wasn't very busy either. no luck with this one. <br>

Gee,mountaintramp,I was parked in the field next to the Farm House Restaurant at Highland Springs Rd and I-10...west of Whitewater. It looks like a big red barn...great biscuits and gravy. I got there Monday afternoon and left Wednesday morning. I noticed an RV parked in the back,too. Its a great place to park but not for sellin' anything cuz there's not enough traffic there. I'd a bought something off ya..I was itchin' to spend some money. I wound up walking to the pawnshop on the corner and buying a bunch of dvds. I found 'Billy Jack' there,a real oldie.