Ignorance of insurance in mobile life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goshawk

Reaction score
Have read for three years about mobile lifestyle. Am going that path in eight months. Permanent. But have found very few discussions about insurance management. It can take 10% to 20% of you finances. Or you can ignore insurance completely and claim you are self insured. No one is self insured unless you are well into a few million in savings. Someone pays the bill for your emergency heart attack/stroke/cancer.

Kind of wish the bloggers for mobile lifestyle would talk more. But the focus is all on living great, and it’s sunny outside, and we can all live fine without a house.

Yes we can go to Mexico for medical. If you have time and money.

But then we need to talk about vehicle insurance and having enough. Consumer Reports used to give you a breakdown of how much is needed in each part. But bet many have flopped down to the lowest limit, and are gambling they never need it.

Hope can get some constructive comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USAA covers all my needs except for health. 

Someone in my condition sees health insurance as a monthly payment plan for life care. I could never afford one of my spinal surgeries, much less two and future replacements of knees other sockets.

Healthcare on the road has always been a very confusing and stressful issue for me.
The last time I perused the Covered California website, the plans were ridiculously expensive! $600+ a month with a $6,500 annual deductible. How is anyone supposed to make that work?? Some plans had a lower monthly payment, but only at the end of the year when you got a tax credit.

Plans like those are only useful if you find yourself critically injured or dying of cancer, and even then you'll go broke trying to make the monthly payments and meet the deductibles.

Just for grins, I entered "0" as my income, and I read that I might qualify for Medicaid, but I don't know how that works. Can you get Medicaid if you simply decide not to work, or voluntarily take a lousy-paying job, or do you have to have a permanent disability?

Sometimes I fear I'll be forced to work my entire life, right up to my death, like both my parents did.

The Medicaid thing needs to be investigated. If you work and are low income, that might be the best path to follow. Think you might get it that way. Not working triggers too many flags in various reviews that would prevent Medicaid, likely. Unfortunately each state is different and some states are ruthless and broke in these funds, where they can’t help much at all. Seek out catholic charity hospital payment plans to get the care you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best thing we can technically start doing is to treat our bodies as well as we do our vehicles... Put good stuff in and it will last a good while with minimal issues. Of course, if everyone started worrying about being healthy, the insurance companies would collapse and then who knows what would happen.