If your not cooking, What is your favorite food place?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where~the~wind~blows

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day how a little private deli has become my favorite place to get food when I can't or don't cook.... They will whip me up just about anything, Yesterday I had chili on a bed of lettuce with tomatoes, onions, cheese, sour cream ... it was great and only 7.00 that may seem like a lot but it really was cheaper than a burger meal at most fast food places...

Super walmart Deli...!!!......what the heck I'm parked in the lot any way !!!!

Wawa has a design your own Panini and I get one with roast beef and horseradish that is delicious. Arbys is my first choice for fast food and Taco Bell my second if money is not an issue. Dairy Queen has a mushroom swiss burger that is mouth watering. McDonalds is my favorite for breakfast, love the bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit. If I'm in broke mode, the dollar menu is cheaper than buying food and cooking.

decodancer said:
Wawa has a design your own Panini and I get one with roast beef and horseradish that is delicious. Arbys is my first choice for fast food and Taco Bell my second if money is not an issue. Dairy Queen has a mushroom swiss burger that is mouth watering. McDonalds is my favorite for breakfast, love the bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit. If I'm in broke mode, the dollar menu is cheaper than buying food and cooking.

It's sad that eating out can be cheaper at times than eating in. I think it depends on the food of course, at ihop 3, 6" pancakes can run you almost 7.00, yet I can make 6-8 for 2.00... which is to much for just me but the dogs don't mind one bite!

for a while I got hooked on Subway's $5.00 footlongs.....would buy it and get 2 good meals out of it with soup or chili...

DD...I'm with you on the "broke mode"( X 2 with Margie).
I gotta really watch it. Mickey D's hooks us up on those breakfast deals (sometimes 2 fers) and we can grab some wifi. A senior coffee will getcha a refill and wifi.

Here around Tucson, we can bike down the street to a long established "taco wagon" I know of and get a fat, filling taco for a buck lunch and a big ol burrito for 2 bucks that fills me up. They have a flea market style tent for your dining pleasure, including fresh chopped peppers, picante, and other "condiments". Locals go there and carry their little beer cooler and in summer its most active around 10-11 PM when its cool. Tucson is one of the few cities I've adopted as a place I can hang when I need to.

Wandered a bit off topic, but in lieu of delis, the culture here leans more toward the Hispanic side historically. The "Yankee" influx has brought delis, falafel places and bistros, but the Mexican food is still king of the hill, and you can find good food cheap.

There are "all you can eat" buffets that will sell their foods by the pound. If you do this on their dinner menu, you could get steak by the pound already cooked for cheaper than buying in the store. I've gotten steak, salad and bread for around $4.00 -- and had two meals from it.

The trick is to know which foods are heavy with gravy, sauce, or water and to choose what makes a good deal by the pound.

If I go to McDonalds I will ask for a hamburger with different sauces than their standard offering "no ketchup, please" -- meaning they have to make one fresh.

Walmart -- if you like fried livers (theirs are spicey and good) -- you might get a good deal at the deli, as they don't always sell by the expiration time and have to be tossed. Tell the person you only have a couple of bucks to spend and "do you have anything I can get on special?" "how about these livers?" (The deli person will think "OMG, a liver customer -- time to make a deal !!")

Pancakes ?? You can get a box of "just add water" pancake mix for less than $2.00 -- a box of 12 little sausages for less than $2.00

I've become rather fond of Denny's "2-4-6-8" menu: Biscuits & gravy w/hash browns = $2, 2 eggs, 2 meat, and 2 pancakes for $4.

Coffee is expensive at $2 for a cup, but refills are free. Discount for vets, too.

McD's is a favorite for cheap, good grub,of course.

My go-to place is Wendy's -- small chili (with onions, no cheese) and caesar side salad -- between $3-$4 depending on where you are in country. And if it's hot and I want more, there's the 99cent chocolate frosty :)

well in very rare cases I will eat at a fast food place. usually when doing a long drive and too worn out to do anything else. I prefer local diners and look for ones full of locals. highdesertranger

Diners where you meet the locals are good when you can afford them. Often a good place to make a connection too...especially in small towns.
Not much into Mickey D's burgers, and would rather make a sandwich. Breakfast can be a winner tho.

If we see a Wendy's Margie wants a Frosty for a treat, so we might get the "double double" burgers too.

Have not done McD's for a long time. Here in the Philadelphia, Pa area there are many sub shops. What a sandwich, and all the mom and pops try to out do each other. We also have Wawa, good gasoline and great deli.
But I'm surprised no one has spotted Chick-Flay.
Don't get me started on the little store front Mexican food vendors. Cute ladies and home cooking.
Also great Greek delis and take out restaurants.
It seems every good size supermarket has a sushi vender.
Small luncheonettes for scrapple and eggs with home fries. And a friendly waitress who reminds you of home.

I have been Jonesing for a couple years, just waiting until I get in the range of an In-N-Out burger~~~ Double Double with Animal Fries double cooked. But with my diabetics, only once a month.

Either Buger King or cheap 'all you can eat' sushi. Mmmmm.. sushi. ..Willy.

Scrapple and eggs: a real treat, but a rare find in the south.

hello, Reno. That is one of the things that keeps me coming home. Yes people, it is not the Jersey sand, it's the Philadelphia scrapple.

I miss the Waffle house!!!!!..............home of the Smothered , covered ,Scattered & splattered !!!!!!

Mike, Hungry Jack makes a boxed (like a mini milk carton) version of hash browns. You add hot water, wait 12 minutes then fry them up. Makes one pound and taste just like the waffle house version. I add onions and whatever else I have handy. Yummy!

DD...I'm gonna look for Hungry Jack taters. Don't think I've seen those.
A local Waffle House was one of my faves. Gotta ask to have syrup to be warmed tho. Cold syrup on hot waffles sux :p