If you had to choose a class c ( except lazy daze ) which one would you choose?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed a lot of people talking about window leaks. RV windows need to be resealed every 5-10 years. after 5 years old they need to be inspected annually. same with any body piercing. ah I mean anything that penetrates the skin. ah I mean, oh never mind you all know what I mean. highdesertranger

There was a real problem with that front window on some of the Class C, and many no longer put it on. Sadly, anymore they are sometimes not properly sealed to begin with. I have read comments where someone developed delamination after the first year and the warranty was only for a year and the claim was denied because owner failed to reseal the window the first year, and I have read that more than once lately. We had a window leaking during a hurricane in NC while we were in our new TT back in 2000 I think it was, and we had a mobile rv tech come out. They had just sat the window in there and sealed the outside edge. The water poured in all night, long night.

A rubber roof isn't all bad, an aluminum one can take a real beating in a hail storm and a fiberglass one is a better choice. So much of this depends on one's budget. One does not need a superior unit in order to full-time RV, despite what some may say. Appliances come from the same manufacturers, the chassis comes from about 3 manufactures.

I still would discourage anyone buying based on possible resale. Something is worth only what another person is willing to pay for it at the time someone wants to sell.

In addition to my Coachmen B-19, I have a Born Free Super-C 32RQ. I'm on my second Born Free. I had an '01 23RK on an e450 chassis that I absolutely loved. I had that for three years and put 20k miles on it. I now have an '06 32' Rear Queen Super C on the Kodiak Chassis, and I've put 15k miles on it in two years. The Kodiak chassis Super-C coaches are pretty rare and I was just lucky to find mine. There were only 16 like mine built. Born Free is a small, boutique manufacturer and I'm always amazed at how many of their older coaches, 15-20 years old are still on the road and used regularly. They are without a doubt, at least IMO, one of the premier class C coach builders out there.

Not only do they build one of the best coaches on the market, their factory after-sale service is superior to any other on the market. They know many of their customers by name. Many Born Free owners are repeat customers several times over.

I bought the 32RQ used from a dealer in Illinois. We couldn't figure the air ride suspension out, so while I was standing on the showroom floor, i called the service manager, Kim Olson. I got his voicemail and he called back in about two minutes. He looked up my coach by number, looked at the photos, and told me exactly how to operate the air ride system from the photos.

One of the A/C shrouds on my unit was cracked and needed to be replaced. I had Kim order me one, but I hadn't been to the factory yet to have it installed. On a trip to the west coast I found that I'd lost the entire shroud somewhere on the previous days' route. Driving into Denver, I called Kim and he recommended that I just go to Camping World in Denver and pick one up and not to worry about the one they had in stock. I did and installed it myself that afternoon.

The factory has resealed the roof through-hulls and the one seam, replaced the LP gas remote fill line, and done several other service tasks for me. They have a private, no-cost campground for their customers and do whatever it takes to get you back on the road. There is also a Born-Free specific user's forum and an owner's club that are both VERY helpful when issues arise.

I really can't recommend them highly enough; their service OR their coaches... If you're looking for a quality Class C coach... you may find some out there built as well, but you won't find one built better. And you DEFINITELY won't find another company with the customer service that Born Free offers.

I did the same thing as yourself while researching the best class C and went with a Born Free.
The gently used born frees arent easy to find and they aren't cheap but I think you pay for quality. After searching for about 6 months I found a low mileage 5 year old BF built for 2 on the RV trader and jumped on it after researching the history on the vehicle. The built for 2 is 23 feet long so I can park in almost any regular spot. The born frees are fiberglass so you don't have as many water leaking problems as other rvs. The build quality is outstanding but the gas mileage sucks a with any class C. The rv has a ford triton V10 and gets around 10mpg. The seats are flex steel and very comfortable. After I purchased the rv , I installed 300 watts of solar on the roof which is about all you can get on it. There isn't much storage room on the bornfrees so I installed the solar batteries under the bench seat inside the cabin. I took a roadtrip across country from SC to california  and boondocked almost the entire trip. I didnt have any issues whatsoever with the RV but I did get broken into while it was parked in San Antonio, TX. The thieves punched the lock on the passenger side door. While I was traveling, I normally slept on the bench seat instead of the bed over the cabin because it was just easier and I found myself using the cab over bed for storage and didn't want to take everything down to sleep up there every night. On hindsite I wish I would have gone with a 23 foot airstream simply for the additional room and also I could use the tow vehicle to drive around where ever I travel to. I can drive the class C but its a pain in the ass to drive around city streets all the time. Its also a pain in the ass to break camp and put everything away whenever I want to drive some place. I also have a fear that I will get stuck in the mud or something if I go off road to some of the blm areas in the mountains. Class C's sit low to the ground and dont want to rip the bottom out of it taking it off road. It may never happen but its something im concerned with because of my plans. If you think you may be interested in a born free, let me know.

mjsinhsv said:
I did the same thing as yourself while researching the best class C and went with a Born Free.
The gently used born frees arent easy to find and they aren't cheap but I think you pay for quality. After searching for about 6 months I found a low mileage 5 year old BF built for 2 on the RV trader and jumped on it after researching the history on the vehicle. The built for 2 is 23 feet long so I can park in almost any regular spot. The born frees are fiberglass so you don't have as many water leaking problems as other rvs. The build quality is outstanding but the gas mileage sucks a with any class C. The rv has a ford triton V10 and gets around 10mpg. The seats are flex steel and very comfortable. After I purchased the rv , I installed 300 watts of solar on the roof which is about all you can get on it. There isn't much storage room on the bornfrees so I installed the solar batteries under the bench seat inside the cabin. I took a roadtrip across country from SC to california  and boondocked almost the entire trip. I didnt have any issues whatsoever with the RV but I did get broken into while it was parked in San Antonio, TX. The thieves punched the lock on the passenger side door. While I was traveling, I normally slept on the bench seat instead of the bed over the cabin because it was just easier and I found myself using the cab over bed for storage and didn't want to take everything down to sleep up there every night. On hindsite I wish I would have gone with a 23 foot airstream simply for the additional room and also I could use the tow vehicle to drive around where ever I travel to. I can drive the class C but its a pain in the ass to drive around city streets all the time. Its also a pain in the ass to break camp and put everything away whenever I want to drive some place. I also have a fear that I will get stuck in the mud or something if I go off road to some of the blm areas in the mountains. Class C's sit low to the ground and dont want to rip the bottom out of it taking it off road. It may never happen but its something im concerned with because of my plans. If you think you may be interested in a born free, let me know.
I tow a Jeep with my Born Free.  Problem solved!

hepcat said:
I tow a Jeep with my Born Free.  Problem solved!

I have read great things about Born Free and have been searching for a good one  ...  but recently I looked at a Safari Trek class A with the bed in the ceiling ... then drops down when you want to go to sleep ... so you have the living space of much bigger coach with a smaller foot print....

:huh: :huh:
ceejay said:
I have read great things about Born Free and have been searching for a good one  ...  but recently I looked at a Safari Trek class A with the bed in the ceiling ... then drops down when you want to go to sleep ... so you have the living space of much bigger coach with a smaller foot print....

I will be buying my first RV and am looking at the late 90's Safari Treks but I have a question for those who have one. I am mobile but somewhat challenged in my ability to climb up and down a ladder so I don't want a C. Is the bed in a Trek pretty easy to get in and out of?

Another Class B+ proponent here. They're narrower overall & more aerodynamic where the box meets the cab. The overhead bunk being replaced with storage & doors as well as a barely detectable overhang at the windshield, if any at all. Since Coach House has already been introduced I'll just mention www.phoenixusarv.com/ , they're both manufacturer & dealer and usually have recent year used models brought in as trades for new by loyal customers.

I have a 2002 B plus that I adore. It’s a Dynamax Carri-go. All solid oak cabinets, very large wet bath, lots of kitchen countertop space and at only 23 foot will sleep six. I’d buy it over again.