If I was a Man it might not matter/ Safety Issue

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had the exact same thoughts. That I want a van or class B so that I can drive away. Here is the thing though. I can't drive my house and I feel safe in it, even sleeping with the windows open. For me, I think it is more fear of the unknown. I haven't made a decision yet but am still leaning towards the van/class B for the convenience of it.

Get a gun, a big protective barking dog, and put two chairs outside your camper, along with a large pair of dirty, gnarly mens boots sitting by the door. Mount some motion operated LED lights on all sides of the camper, and no one will bother you, ever.

:D

^
Go to a gun range and collect some empty spent 45 cal shells. Cover the ground near your door with them. Lol.

Alas, if you listen to some people NOBODY is safe unless they have a shotgun, two pistols, a baseball bat, two car alarms, and maybe some barbed wire and two attack dogs.........

The reality of course is that the odds of anyone being the victim of a violent attack are vanishingly small, and sleeping in a camper van or RV is not any more "unsafe" than sleeping anywhere else. Use simple basic commonsense precautions (lock your doors, park in a well-lit area, keep valuables out of sight, and don't attract attention to yourself) and you'll be fine. The worry about "something might happen!!!" is far greater than the actual reality of it.

When I first moved into my mobile home (back before the first seperation) we didn't have ANY money for curtains or blinds, but I had been religiously practicing at the range, religiously keeping my targets (DPS Silhouettes) and had a ton of them, so me and Jeanne taped them up so nobody could look in ans see inside
Not only did we never get robbed, all the neighbors were super polite, and the religious folks stayed away too :p

lenny flank said:
The reality of course is that the odds of anyone being the victim of a violent attack are vanishingly small, and sleeping in a camper van or RV is not any more "unsafe" than sleeping anywhere else.

Still, I understand the concerns. If you are at home and you call 911 from a home phone or even a cell phone you usually will have the ability to convey your location and maybe if you live in town or nearby, the screaming sirens will scare an intruder away...or we can hope.

But boondocking out in the middle of the woods, or the desert, a roadside rest area, or even a campground, and calling 911, you may not be able to state a location, nor have any hope of help arriving in the next 5 minutes. Maybe not for a half hour, if then!

Remember, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

My comment for women about making the campsite look less vulnerable is actually a recommended and proven way of deterring crime. I did forget to mention a portable air horn hanging near the bed.

I agree even as a man I would want the ability to drive away while the alarm is still blaring and locked safe inside. I just drove an hour and a half away from Santa Fe because of a bad vibe and part of the time I was honestly thinking about you ladies and all I could come up with was they must have brass balls cause I dont know how yall can stomach it. I couldn't stomach Santa Fe.

4x4gamer said:
I couldn't stomach Santa Fe.

Those of us non-residents of Santa Fe, but familiar with the downsides of the area, have been known to refer to the place as Sani-Flush.

Interpret that as you wish....

:cool:

Wow that's a shame. I thought I was getting pulled over as I left and I was thinking seriously I know of a couple places where there's some shady @$!# going down and vie been here hours and your gonna pull me over!!!! Lol but no he flipped his lights and went around me.

ArtW said:
religiously keeping my targets (DPS Silhouettes) and had a ton of them, so me and Jeanne taped them up so nobody could look in ans see inside

What a great idea for cloth curtains or vinyl shades on a trailer or motorhome!

(checks the listings for custom curtain shops in my area)

:cool:

ArtW said:
 . . .keeping my targets (DPS Silhouettes) and had a ton of them, so me and Jeanne taped them up so nobody could look in ans see inside

I'm such a cheap bastard that my targets barely hang together and would be absolutely no good as window covering  :p

-- Spiff

ArtW said:
When I first moved into my mobile home (back before the first seperation) we didn't have ANY money for curtains or blinds, but I had been religiously practicing at the range, religiously keeping my targets (DPS Silhouettes) and had a ton of them, so me and Jeanne taped them up so nobody could look in ans see inside

Art, I think you need to go back to the "You ain't right" room and go stand in the corner...

I started out in a camper, a small one. I was very afraid when I started out. About a month into it, I forced myself to stay in a swampy area in mid Florida. I stayed four days. I was totally alone except for the occasional Hunter that came into camp. You know what happened? I started out terrified, there's lots of noise in a swamp, I was real scared the first night and day. By the forth day and night I realized absolutely nothing happened other than I became strong.

Now my dog is bigger, she was eight weeks old when I started this fabulous life, now I seldom am afraid and go wherever feels safe in my gut. Fear is good. Fear can be controlled, fear can come back. It's all okay.

I was hurt by a man outside a store a few years ago. I got away but I still suffer now and again when something triggers the terrible event. Life goes on but I feel safe out here, safer than in a town. I feel safe in my 18 foot camper.

Dragonfly

I really appreciate the responses, getting a lot of good information. I am glad to know most of you have never had a bad situation. Many of you here said you started with one rig and then chose another because you found out you did not need that much room. I keep thinking on a limited income I would not be able to get another one, so have to decide on a good one to begin with. I am sure now I would need another one someday. When your downsizing from a 3/2 house they all seem small, but so cozy. I have lived in 2 room shacks when I was growing up.  I did not know about the leveling problem, thanks for that. I did not want to go above 24 foot because I know I would not feel comfortable driving something bigger. I also believe it would get me into more locations. Then I read how they are not built to last with full time living. I really did like the Lance Truck Campers. They seem to be built extremely good compared to an RV. They also are made for 4 season living, can go just about anywhere with a truck. The drawbacks are so much less storage space and space in general. Someday that might be all I want.

What would I do if I was hemmed in with a cliff behind me?  Someone is gonna move. I have found that people thinking you are crazy is a good thing. Besides, a little crazy goes a long ways toward your own sanity.

From what I am getting here, the chances of something bad happening is the same as a gorilla falling from a plane and crashing through my ceiling.  :rolleyes:

tx2sturgis said:
Get a gun, a big protective barking dog, and put two chairs outside your camper, along with a large pair of dirty, gnarly mens boots sitting by the door. Mount some motion operated LED lights on all sides of the camper, and no one will bother you, ever.

:D

I also heard you should leave several large dog bowls and the following note. "Frank, Don't let the pitbulls out, Samson tore up the neighbor this morning don't know what got into him but there was blood everywhere. Me and Elmer and Bubba went to the store to get more beer and ammo for target shooting. Be back soon.

Situational awareness will prevent it..or give you time to react accordingly. I spend my time awake at nights..stores at night. My head is on a swivel before I get out of my truck.