If I was a Man it might not matter/ Safety Issue

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrJean said:
Fear is subjective.
Situational awareness is key.
If you do all you can to be safe (don't pull into a site you have to back out of  if you can be blocked etc)... then you've done all you can do.

I survived Hurricane Andrew at ground zero.  There's no such thing as safety in numbers.
I believe I am safest when I am in God's will where He wants me.

I'd be more concerned about the strange disappearances in the National Parks, especially in the NW Territory.

Anyway, modern neurobiology has proven what we call "the observer effect" in that what you BELIEVE you will encounter is what you WILL encounter... the mind's thoughts are not ethereal but real entities growing in the brain and are visible on scans....  you can create with your mind!  
I also went through Hurricane Andrew in Homestead, FL, destroyed the house with us in it. I imagine I will never in my lifetime be that scared again. It was 10 hours of absolute terror. I share your interest in the disappearances in the National Parks. I bet your a CoasttoCoast listener? Those missing person cases are the strangest thing. Thoughts are real entities growing in the brain....how amazing....would really be interested in reading more about that.

I have to give "Every Road Leads Home" credit for this. I read it and it really opened my eyes. The fact that you (ladies) are doing this or thinking about doing it already proves just how brave you are. Though we may worry, I don't think we will let fear stop us, we will push through it and find our way out on the other side. These women in this article are proof of that. The women already on the road are proof.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2141556/sl...ile-female

Excellent article. ^^^

Fear, and other people responses to your fear, is such an interesting thing. Men especially seem to like to tell us we're being overly cautious, other women tend to get it for the most part, at least women who've stepped outside their comfort zone now and then. But as the article says, we have a lifetime of conditioning to deal with, it can be overcome, but it takes time and patience and a strong desire, coupled with a willingness to accept the perceived risk in order to have the experience.

To some extent media is to blame for our helpless attitude. It tells us just cooperate with the bad guy and you will be OK. This is utter nonsense. This leaves your fate completely up to the bad guy. The bad guy then tells you don't fight and I wont harm you. Why wouldn't they be a liar as well?
No reason to fight fair with them either. If the only thing you have is spray oven cleaner, wash out their eyes. (You keep it to wash camp fire grills at gatherings). If nothing else, get a bunch of their DNA under your fingernails.

My first camper vehicle was a pickup truck with a shell/canopy on the back. I had to get out of the back to get into the front.

My next rig was a shorty cargo van. Why? Camped at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison Park, I was talking to a couple from Kansas. They were on their way home from a trip to visit someone in Alaska, and they told me about a situation that I hadn't considered. They were in their travel trailer, and woke up to what felt like an earthquake -- their trailer was bouncing around. The husband jumped out of bed and looked out the window............... right into the face of a huge grizzley bear, who was pushing the trailer. He grabbed his rifle. But he didn't want to open the door or window to shoot. He didn't really want to shoot through the closed window. He didn't know what to do. Then the bear gave up and wandered off. After a while, they got out and ran for the cab, jumped in, and spent the rest of the night there. They said they wanted to continue to travel, but they weren't going to get caught in that situation again.

Personally check out the different kinds of vans and RVs, and see which type feels best to you. I doesn't matter what anyone else here thinks -- YOU decide what's right for you.

you are right about "just" driving away. road blocked? going nowhere fast.

best is to lean how to fight.
a 85 pound lady can bring down a 200 pound guy easily, (and i mean for the count) just knowing how is the key.
have things around you 24-7-365 that you can use to protect yourself.
learn how to shoot a pistol. and why NOT to shoot.

understanding what is around you is the first step. all family's and older peps, or that drunk camp over there the one with quads, guns blazing. overly loud music. huge bon fire etc, etc.
is anybody else camping close to them????

just know and understand what is about you. not just for camping, even walking down a city street.

if and when a bg ( with frends) wants something from you.
it does not mater if your a man or a woman.
( me as of now 58 bad eye sight. bad back, rebuilt neck, no way am i going to run away. or be able to put up much of a fight).
best to keep a eye on whats up around you first.
have a number of ways to protect your self. the gun is a last resot tool. but i do belive most everybody should be armed. and that means knowing how to use and way not to.
when you can park door to door with those you know.
if A person or group gives you that vibe. move on.

Hi GHostRiDer
I full-time with my husband and we are in a 25' fifth wheel. He is a big, burly guy. But, even so, I like the idea of a class C where we could escape or avoid a bad situation.
If I was on my own, my guess is, I would have a van or a class c. 
I agree with you, as I believe that in the real world, women don't have as much freedom when it comes to their safety. 
Avoidance and/or prevention is how I roll. 
Also, Don't you think it comes down to how comfortable you are in your choice of RV/van? Both physically and safety wise?

GHostRiDer, re: Safety for women. I a man, 11 Brovo Inf.Vet , have training in Martial Arts and self defence, background in other areas re: safety and security. Your concerns are real,and yes they are backed up with stats; There is a rise of more women being assaulted in one way or another.Many of these assaults occur within intimate relationships,marriages,dating, and by sudden attack etc. It is true a women needs to take special precautions for her safety.It is also true for a man to think safety. I'm a man, and Vet.,we were specifically cautioned about using the "Buddy System" when in the military. (And we are Infantry trained men). Also, as a Native American, the natural/traditional rule was taught to be part of the Tribe and travel and hunt etc., together. I am beginning to prepare myself for living on the road. I've been all over, and in other countries and a lot of situations, so I"m not exactly a newbie at traveling in unknown lands, but am humble to learn more from others. When I first thought about traveling,I guess my first instincts,training, and culture told me to look for a "Tribe" to follow for all the right reasons, and concerns you have and others have. I guess its about finding the right Tribe for me. To me, a Tribe is a Tribe made up of both men and women of all backgrounds, and cultures who have the common goal of safety, security,peace, and yes.., a sense of helping one another. If you want security in this day and age, a gun, living in a Armored Tank, etc, is not as good as belonging to a Tribe.(If these Tribes don't exist on the road-well I guess that is that ) I see most want to be alone with their peace and this is what should be and can be even if in a Tribe. Being camped near your Tribe is,in my opinion, the best "Buddy System". I too have back problems, and a neck problem from it being broken so I too am still figuring out whats best for me travel in. I'll start off with something and eventually figure it out.One last note for any who read this: The Tribe I would belong to is not going to be a partying, wild, no rules ,no respect,no caring for others type, no extra baggage for others to be nothing but a burden, and will have my back as I will have theirs. Good luck, and I Hope to find a Tribe.1st Chippewa

if your somewhat slim like me I can scoot through the window in camper and through to the truck, sorry to hear that holding you down.

Interesting thread. From my watching of youtubes, I'd say that the majority of lone women have either vans or moderately small Class-Cs. Bigger RVs are harder to drive of course, but are also very limited with where you can camp and park, especially if in town. Many campsites in the parks are restricted to smaller RVs. RVCarol, who is great fun to watch (and has over 11-million views) went from a larger Class-C to her current one, about 24' I think. She's been doing it for some years, and is a wealth of info, besides just plain entertainment. You can follow her evolution in thinking...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfqr5I-0RKK8Ha1PeKi0_ig

One thing that occurred to me in reading posts, I wonder if it would help to have a picture on the door of the RV of a large grizzled man and a couple of large black dogs, shepherd and doberman. Might make someone think twice. But certainly not something like CamperVan Kevin has....

https://www.patreon.com/CampervanKevin