Idiot Miniature Poodle has a Strong Prey Drive

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcal

Reaction score
DH thinks it is entertaining and lets him chase things. This evening, Idiot Poodle decided to chase a skunk. Seriously considering making both sleep in the car (DH and Idiot Poodle, not skunk).

Wow, a dog acting like an actual dog instead of a human. Imagine that.

Poodles tend to be smart, so maybe he's learned his lesson.

If you're not familiar with it, there is a recipe to kill the smell. This is for a medium/small dog, so just multiply everything equally for a large one. You can dilute it with as much as one quart of water to make it go further. No other homemade recipe works, not tomato juice, or lemon or orange juice, or any of the deodorant mixes. The stink in skunk spray comes from sulfur, and that has to be deactivated to kill the stink.

Mix together:
1 quart UNOPENED Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) (If it doesn't foam, it's too old & won't work)
1/4 cup baking soda (NOT washing soda or any other variation)
2 teaspoons dish detergent

Pour over the dog and saturate the coat. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with clear water. Protect the eyes with an oily salve.

This also works on people, but keep out of eyes.

p.s. This mixture is NOT storable -- it will explode if covered. You can't make it ahead of time.

We used Nature's Miracle from Petsmart. It worked ok, but he did not get he full blast. So, I don't know how really good it is.

The very best stuff was Massingill powdered douche mix, but I don't think they make it anymore. My vet's neighbor surprised a skunk in his vegetable garden. He was only wearing shorts and thongs, and was hit right in his very hairy German chest. They were supposed to be going to a party that night. He got into the shower, and his wife handed him a gallon jug and said, "Turn off the water, pour this all over you, wait 15 minutes, rinse". Nobody at the party said a word.

MrNoodly said:
Neither does mine, because he's a box of ashes.

Sorry to hear that
Mine's not a box of ashes, just very smart and well trained
Once he understood his negative command word, using it a few times got the idea across to not engage in whatever behaviour resulted in it's being employed
SUCH a good boy