Ideas for improving poor gas mileage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The industry still says it ain't so, Joe.

I also was unable to come up with that quotation in my online search. "Physics: A set of ever changing core theories thought to be accurate and correct at the time of their inception."

Perhaps if I had the publisher and author?

GotSmart said:
I found no reference to Volvo in my research.

The different fuel mixtures sold summer and winter will also make a difference in mileage.

Greetings!

I got the info about the Volvo Trucks from a mechanic while I was temping at a Truck & Bus Service Center. It might very well have been insider info, I really don't know. I'm sure Volvo wouldn't have been very happy if their "secret" had gotten out at the time...

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

As well as the full title of the book?

slow2day said:
You should ask the same physics professor how cutting narrow grooves into tires could possibly reduce rolling resistance. Also, I reread a little....you went from 16.5" tires to 16" tires in Florida and got less MPG. That's because the 16" tires lowered the overall gearing.

Greetings!

I was careful to maintain the same outer circumference of the tires, to the original specs. So the overall result was only a change in wheel size, not tire width or circumference.

My conclusions were based on a single set of tires and wheels, 5k before, and 5k after them being siped.

I think after all is said and done we just all need to agree to disagree on this one... I don't think the debate is going to change anyone's mind, so everyone will just have to draw their own conclusions.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

GotSmart said:
The industry still says it ain't so, Joe.

I am not sure we should be relying on industry to tell it as it is, remember the Tobacco industry telling us there was no evidence that smoking caused cancer, the dairy industry telling us milk is good for our bones and the meat industry telling us that high animal protein diets don't cause cancer or shorten your life span....Industry has been rumored to tell a few porkies in the interest of survival.:dodgy:

flying kurbmaster2 said:
I am not sure we should be relying on industry to tell it as it is, remember the Tobacco industry telling us there was no evidence that smoking caused cancer, the dairy industry telling us milk is good for our bones and the meat industry telling us that high animal protein diets don't cause cancer or shorten your life span....Industry has been rumored to tell a few porkies in the interest of survival.:dodgy:

This is the tire industry saying Siping will cut down your mileage. and backing it up with science. I tend to trust the combined tire industry over the tobacco industry any day. They would only gain by telling people to do it because it also increases tire wear.

As for the dairy council, I am lactose intolerant. :D

http://www.komonews.com/news/archive/4168146.html
Don't let anyone cut your new tires.
Newtonian Physics will predict any thing in our real world. Including satellites in orbit for your communications and friction on your tires.
Tires with increased traction, more tread groves on the road, will have more friction to the road. More wear. Less gas millage.
Newton got it right.

I'm gonna be trying something I saw on Expedition portal, and that's to put an air dam between my slide-in camper and the roof of the cab. Thinking about using a pool noodle and will see if it has any beneficial effect. ..Willy.

So bald ties, with no tread, get better mileage?

Or do tires with no tread create more traction, and therefore get worse MPG?

Perhaps the siping, removing of tread, creates less traction ( in summer conditions) and that leads to less friction and better mileage?

Sorry! Just can't help myself!

Willy said:
I'm gonna be trying something I saw on Expedition portal, and that's to put an air dam between my slide-in camper and the roof of the cab. Thinking about using a pool noodle and will see if it has any beneficial effect. ..Willy.

Should help a little, maybe not much, but for a buck its worth a try.
I bet the pink ones work best :D:D:D:D:D