Ideas for beds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarciMallow

Reaction score
I'm incredibly lucky and got an architect to help me with plans for my upgraded conversion (as the current one isn't working out).  My problem is that I wanted two beds, one for me and one for my son, and also had to have room for a power wheelchair.  We came up with the idea to have one bed across the back for my son and the other perpendicular for me, which should leave enough room (I hope) for my power chair.  The beds would be tiered with my sons being higher because he can climb into it easier.  We also came up with the idea of using a table for the bed frame.  Has anyone tried this, and do you think this would be a good idea?  Input please.  Any help for this would be appreciated.  

For the record, it's a 1996 Ford Econoline Mark III extended with a wheelchair lift that is broken and needs replaced.

My BIL was a Quad and loved camping........I built out 3 vans over his lifetime

His large chair required the entire empty cabin from side doors forward to maneuver and store his chair overnite

I built two parallel beds.....High and Low.....across the van....To the rear of the side doors/Handicapped Lift....the low bed doubled as a bench seat

Kitchen was a chuckwagon style accessed thru the rear doors (under the upper berth)

Thanks....I'm incomplete para (sometimes walking para) L4.  I thought about the bunk beds, but with my son being 12, I don't think it would work too well.  I'm going over measurements and not sure if the table idea will work, but will have to measure again.  The good thing is, this is for camping because I'm in a sticks and bricks apartment that I LOVE ( thevillagenac.com ) it's a great community and it's helping me be with my son more often and stability for doctors appointments and some surgeries that I need to have done.  I will be getting better measurements later this week, pending no rain.  And for the mattresses, I will be using old camp mattresses because this place used to be a church camp and they have an abundance.

the matress in a tractor trailer is 30 inches wide ..there are fitted sheets and blankets available in that size ....the smaller size gives you options for fold up side beds ...
i built a 30 inch bed that folds in half and takes up only 15 inches so it wouldn't block the windows on the side of my 2000 ford E

maybe flip your idea. Make the back 'bunk' against the back doors a couch type futon that reclines into bed when wanted (not sure on your van type here) and would this fit you for sleeping but give you a couch for others while inside.... and make the side bed along the long length of the van a top bunk for your son? gives him more length that I think you said he required?

no table needed, just get yourself a few table trays that are portable and use them when wanted ya know.....I found tray tables as a good thing vs trying to 'fit perm fixed' tables into a design.

hope some of this helps...guessing alot here from your first post :)

RoamerRV428 said:
maybe flip your idea.  Make the back 'bunk' against the back doors a couch type futon that reclines into bed when wanted (not sure on your van type here) and would this fit you for sleeping but give you a couch for others while inside.... and make the side bed along the long length of the van a top bunk for your son?  gives him more length that I think you said he required?

no table needed, just get yourself a few table trays that are portable and use them when wanted ya know.....I found tray tables as a good thing vs trying to 'fit perm fixed' tables into a design.

hope some of this helps...guessing alot here from your first post :)
Thank you.  Across the back doesn't work too well for me as I'm about 3 inches too tall.  Tried that, wasn't comfortable.  Instead, I may put the one in the back for my son since there's still a couple years for him.  And then make my bed the pull down (Murphy type) bed.  I believe that may work, but again, have to work out logistics.  I will get with my architect this week, but we're preparing for the Blueberry Festival here in Nacogdoches, so it may be a couple weeks before she can help me out again...I'm not demanding too much since it is for free.