Ice chest users

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the ice in gallon jugs with screw-on lids and put one at each end of the cooler. When the ice is all melted, I pour that water into gallon jugs with a handle to use for washing, stored elsewhere, and refill the cooler jugs with new ice. So I never have to mess with loose water in the cooler or food items floating in it.

oh that explains what you are doing so much better. 1 or 2 weeks with ice with pre-cooked frozen meals you made.

I tell you that is going to be hard to keep alive with only ice. Frozen stuff doesn't 'hold' frozen even packed in ice for that long, like I don't know, I never could keep or trust food in ice coolers even with ice on it cause even frozen stuff starts to partially, ever so slightly start to thaw. That has been my experience with it. Like HDR we lost food definitely when doing just ice as our sole refrigeration. 2 weeks with food in an ice chest is stretching it and yea you will have to truly have big ice in there at all times.

I agree with HDR in that chasing ice can be bothersome for sure and a day lost doing it LOL cause it has happened to us many times when out in more boonie areas.

Only issue with a small fridge is they are small and usually never have a frozen compartment unless you specifically set out to buy one but yea that might be a good future project to aspire to, have a smaller solar set up for a small fridge that and gives just an easier life on the road concerning ice etc. and your food.

Let us know how your travels for 1-2 weeks goes on your food ice chest. I know a week is more doable than stretching into week 2 :) but it can be done cause we've done it but yea, work controlling your ice etc. is very important when using this method.

this is a fun chat on how we all control food out there with ice chests :)

I did consider buying a 12 volt fridge, but you need a support system of power......batteries, inverter, charger, or solar. .....and the dollars begin to add up fast. :( Guess I will give it a try and see where it goes from there. Thanks again for everyone's input, it was very helpful.

With a bigger rig, I would have to have a fridge/freezer. There I go dreaming again, lol! But then again, I think its healthier to have to struggle and learn to keep it simple. Use our brains to make things work, a lot to be said for people that can live happily without all the so-called luxuries that take away us even having to move out of a chair. Thanks to Alexa and whatever else is to come, people will just turn into blobs of protoplasm.

By now, you're probably sick of hearing about our self-draining ice chest.  Let me just say (again) that it has really changed things for us!  No more swimming, contaminated food.  No more cold, wet hands. No more dumping frigid water in a parking lot (and maybe on our feet). 

As others have mentioned, freezing block ice in a wide-mouth container and several reusable water bottles, as well as pre-freezing some food items gives us a head start for the first few days, but is no help down the road.  Grouping everything for a given meal is a big help, too.

Where we've been lately, there is cheap ice ($1.50-2.50) everywhere--too many fishermen to be without.  Every boat dock at a lake seems to have a machine.  Still, I'll admit it can be a hassle, but it's doable.  If we're farther from civilization (sigh... it's been a while), we have to change the menu, obviously.

At this point, I just can't see going with solar and a 'fridge, although I can see why others do.  Lithium batteries don't seem like a great idea given the high temps were encounter.  If the 'fridge system fails (due to inadequate power, etc.), it can't be used as an ice chest.  I think I saw a model that could, but don't remember the particulars.  Also, I am a forest creature, mostly, and park in the shade.  Etc., etc.  Some day, my attitude may change, and I'll be singing the praises of ice-chest-free van life.  Until then, I really like the big 'ol self-draining ice chest for simplicity.

truly your life experience on ice and chest and your food etc and time frame you are controlling that food etc will come into play IF YOU FEEL you want to go further into solar and fridge if you desire one.

nothing like experience as you change your mind as it fills your needs.
its all good how ya roll and find what suits you

I have looked at a couple of 12V fridges and like the one below. There is a utube video where a guy claims it can be run off a Jackery 240 (which I have). He claims that if you plug it in to cool it down before you leave, it draws 45 watts to get the temp to 40. Once it's at 40, it only requires 5 watts to keep it there. He also claims that you can plug it into your Jackery during the day and plug the Jackery into your van 12v plug....and the van would charge the Jackery as well as power the fridge. Then at night, or while not driving, you unplug it from the van....the Jackery will run it all night. Your thoughts?

SetPower FC12 13.5 Quarts Portable Freezer Fridge 12V Cooler, 0℉-50℉, DC 12/24V, Car Fridge Compact Refrigerator, for Truck, Van, RV Road Trip, Outdoor, Camping, Picnic, BBQ

"the van would charge the Jackery as well as power the fridge."

That's if you are driving. most people don't day each and everyday or all day long for that matter.

Highdesertranger

I never thought I would buy or use another cooler/ice chest. I bought one two weeks ago with no plans of using ice. I thought it would be a good critter proof place to store food that is not caned. Like bread crackers fruit cereal etc. I have a metal bread box (antique) but need more space. It was relatively expensive and I found out that igloo is actually made in Texas. I like that better than imported. I know that this use is not what this thread is about but wondered what others thought of such a use.

get a cooler with a lock on it or bungee cord it shut. Our little outside bait cooler for surf fishing had shrimp in it and darn raccoons opened it and ate all the shrimp and then opened the bigger cooler and chewed up my kid's Capri drink boxes LOL teeth marks in all of them :) Any outside cooler we bungee cord shut now. Them suckers are so smart to get into everything!

Latest posts