Ibuprofen Please!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artsyguy

Reaction score
Good morning group,
Wanted to update group on my new project.  I purchased a 2015 Chevy Express 2500 a few weeks ago.  Only 24K mi and in really nice shape.  Started my project about a week and a half ago.  So far Rattletrap installed in cargo area (100 sq ft.) and this weekend I installed the plywood subfloor.  Next up, planning to seal the floor, just because. Then insulating the walls.   I'm planning on using vinyl plank flooring as the finished surface.  Sure am sore today!  I'm 60 years old and out of shape.  I'm thinking this project will either kill me or make me stronger!  My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I knew if I didn't do it now, I would probably never do it.

A few thoughts...
This forum has been invaluable to me.  It has helped in my material choices and given me confidence to do this project right.  RV Bob's videos have also been helpful because he has the same vehicle as mine.  His subfloor video on YouTube came at the perfect time!  Thanks Bob!
I'm also finding the build is taking longer than you think it would for a couple of reasons...1) I'm working alone on it.  2) As has been pointed out numerous times, there isn't a 90 degree corner in the entire van. 3) In order to build out and hopefully only do it once, you need to be thinking 20 steps ahead at all times. 4) I have found my workflow is do something for 10 minutes and then stand around for another 30 minutes thinking about what to do next!  The good thing is Home Depot is less than a half mile from my house, so my AMEX will get a good workout there.

My goal:  I am a big road racing fan and enjoy camping at tracks like Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen, Road America, etc.  The van will be modeled after my favorite racing bar in the world, Seneca Lodge in Watkins Glen.  It will be plumber stealth on the outside (no windows) and when finished it will be complete with Knotty Pine T&G walls, racing memorabilia, and a pub like feel.  Which will be tough to do considering how small a cargo van can be after you put a full size bed in it.  I'm 6'3", so sleeping comfort is my first priority.  If there are any fellow builders who follow Indy Car or Vintage race circuit and camp and hit the tracks I've mentioned, I'd love to meet up and party for the weekend!  My first stop will be Mid Ohio Vintage GP at the end of June, though I'm pretty sure my build won't be completed by then.

I'll post some pictures once I get to some meaningful steps that we haven't seen.  Thanks everyone for you posts, questions, and photos!  They have been very useful to me on this journey!

Mark

Artsyguy said:
  Next up, planning to seal the floor, just because. Then insulating the walls.   I'm planning on using vinyl plank flooring as the finished surface.  Sure am sore today!
I think sealing the floor before finishing it with your choice of flooring is a great idea, mainly for blocking access to those pesky insects and spiders that like to hang out underneath vehicles. Don't want em gaining access to your interior through any unplugged holes in the floor.
 PS, I love road racing, but only get to see it in movies. Would love to build a Gumball Rally type car someday. :)

Artsyguy said:
 4) I have found my workflow is do something for 10 minutes and then stand around for another 30 minutes thinking about what to do next!  

Oh man...I know that feeling. I reckon my think/work ratio is more like 5:1.  :)

One step at a time.  Enjoy!

Ballenxj said:
I think sealing the floor before finishing it with your choice of flooring is a great idea, mainly for blocking access to those pesky insects and spiders that like to hang out underneath vehicles. Don't want em gaining access to your interior through any unplugged holes in the floor.
 PS, I love road racing, but only get to see it in movies. Would love to build a Gumball Rally type car someday. :)

When I spoke of sealing, I meant putting on a coat of Polyurethane on the subfloor to seal from moisture.  Probably not needed, but it is a fairly quick step to do to protect something that I hope when finished, I won't see for a VERY long time.

Artsyguy said:
When I spoke of sealing, I meant putting on a coat of Polyurethane on the subfloor to seal from moisture. 
Ah, OK. I still like Road Racing though. :p

Artsyguy said:
Good morning group,
My goal:  I am a big road racing fan and enjoy camping at tracks like Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen, Road America, etc.  The van will be modeled after my favorite racing bar in the world, Seneca Lodge in Watkins Glen.  .........  If there are any fellow builders who follow Indy Car or Vintage race circuit and camp and hit the tracks I've mentioned, I'd love to meet up and party for the weekend!  My first stop will be Mid Ohio Vintage GP at the end of June, though I'm pretty sure my build won't be completed by then.......

Mark

Mark,
glad to see another race fan on here...I am a fan of all you listed as well. Back in the mid eighties I started racing "Laydown" go karts and in my second season was lucky enough to run the full Watkins Glen course...sadly karts have not been back there since.
My retirement plans also include getting back to being a spectator at some of the series I went to in the 70's & 80's.....sports cars, vintage, bikes, etc. as well as IndyCar and IMSA. I went to all the F1 races at Indy plus a couple of MotoGP.....I'm hoping to get in a couple of races at COTA, too.

My current plans to build out a new trailer are a bit delayed, but hoping to get it done by summer's end. I can't say when I'll be hitting the road yet, but I'm looking forward to a fairly full season of spectating in 2018...as well as a few kart races before I'm too old, sore, and fat to run the thing anymore. Family says I reached that point years ago and just keep sayin "YOU AIN'T RIGHT".....but that falls into that other thread!   :p

bullfrog said:
Ryobi battery impact tools are your friend.

RIGHT! 

In vehicle 12v charger. First one is $6.00+free shipping. I'de be a little leery and maybe go with a new or refurbed from a more reputable seller.

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P131-V...0397&sr=8-1&keywords=ryobi+in+vehicle+charger

A point that many folks miss about the Ryobi 18v tools, they are forwards and backwards compatible. That means that the old style blue ryobis can accept the new green lithium batteries. They also get a decent upgrade in power and certainly useful time from battery.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
RIGHT! 

In vehicle 12v charger. First one is $6.00+free shipping. I'de be a little leery and maybe go with a new or refurbed from a more reputable seller.

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P131-V...0397&sr=8-1&keywords=ryobi+in+vehicle+charger

A point that many folks miss about the Ryobi 18v tools, they are forwards and backwards compatible. That means that the old style blue ryobis can accept the new green lithium batteries. They also get a decent upgrade in power and certainly useful time from battery.

Yep.  I use the blue Ryobi's with the newer green Lith-Ion batteries.  Works great.  Just bought 2 extra battery package last night at HD for only 49.00!

johnny b said:
Mark,
glad to see another race fan on here...I am a fan of all you listed as well. Back in the mid eighties I started racing "Laydown" go karts and in my second season was lucky enough to run the full Watkins Glen course...sadly karts have not been back there since.
My retirement plans also include getting back to being a spectator at some of the series I went to in the 70's & 80's.....sports cars, vintage, bikes, etc. as well as IndyCar and IMSA. I went to all the F1 races at Indy plus a couple of MotoGP.....I'm hoping to get in a couple of races at COTA, too.

My current plans to build out a new trailer are a bit delayed, but hoping to get it done by summer's end. I can't say when I'll be hitting the road yet, but I'm looking forward to a fairly full season of spectating in 2018...as well as a few kart races before I'm too old, sore, and fat to run the thing anymore. Family says I reached that point years ago and just keep sayin "YOU AIN'T RIGHT".....but that falls into that other thread!   :p
I watched a laydown kart race at the Glen in the early 80's...maybe I saw you.  They look like they would be a blast to drive.  I've driven standard rental Bairel racing karts at Pitt International Raceway and had a lot of fun.  If you plan to hit any races, let me know.  I might be there with my van and I serve a killer Bloody Mary on race mornings!

I've often thought of putting a platform on top of my step van upon which to watch motorcycle races. Couple of chairs, a table, and a nice Campari umbrella and I'll be ready to watch the MotoGP!

IMG_0870.JPG

Putts said:
I've often thought of putting a platform on top of my step van upon which to watch motorcycle races. Couple of chairs, a table, and a nice Campari umbrella and I'll be ready to watch the MotoGP!

That would work great! I used the roof on my old Winnebago (which was plenty strong) to watch and photograph events a couple times.