I Wrecked my New Van in Oregon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chongolio

Reaction score
ad6537950f3636e78ef7a96baaf83797.jpg

Feeling lucky to still be here. Details on my blog:

http://www.chongolio.com/i-wrecked-my-van-in-oregon/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang, I'm glad you're okay enough to post about it. That's a legit "wrecked".

Thanks man. I really set in how lucky I was when I went to the tow yard after the crash. I am still in a slight state of disbelief and denial.

I had one of those vans while recruiting in Minnesota. We called it the 'disco van' because every time you hit something slippery it discoed off in the ditch.

Glad you are ok. That could have been a lot worse for you.

I've heard vans do not do well on ice. I think of that every time it gets below freezing here.
Glad you're ok Chongolio.

Wow!

Sure glad you are gonna be OK and you are able to write about it this soon.

Yeah my van is a bit loose in the ice, but it does have positrac so that helps in some situations but also causes more fishtailing when taking a turn on the ice. 

Of course, a lot of weight back there helps.

Anyway, get well soon and I'm happy this is not an R.I.P. event.

:cool:

sreesekelley said:
I had one of those vans while recruiting in Minnesota. We called it the 'disco van' because every time you hit something slippery it discoed off in the ditch.

Glad you are ok. That could have been a lot worse for you.

Too late to name that van now but “Crackling Rosy” came on the radio and I thought that would be an appropriate name. Thanks for the well wishee

tx2sturgis said:
Wow!

Sure glad you are gonna be OK and you are able to write about it this soon.

Yeah my van is a bit loose in the ice, but it does have positrac so that helps in some situations but also causes more fishtailing when taking a turn on the ice. 

Of course, a lot of weight back there helps.

Anyway, get well soon and I'm happy this is not an R.I.P. event.

:cool:

Cheers! Having the van empty and the seats out probably did me no favors when the ice showed up. I am sure my ice driving skills were also subpar

Wow, it looks like the bulk of the impact hit right where you were sitting!  Glad to see you're able to post about it, and not in ICU.  Scary.

Time to buy a Lottery ticket.

BigT said:
Wow, it looks like the bulk of the impact hit right where you were sitting!  Glad to see you're able to post about it, and not in ICU.  Scary.

Time to buy a Lottery ticket.

Yes, I have a big bruise on my shoulder where I am guessing the roof hit me.

A modern van made with cheap metal may have crumpled me into the floor.

Yikes! Glad you are okay. Don't let this get in the way of your goals. You just learned a good lesson or two, is all. :)

When I was about 15 or so I was in a similar car accident and my mom and sisters wound up upside down in the middle of the highway, car spinning wildly. I was lucky to just have a big black eye; my sister had over 100 stitches in her face and my mom was on crutches for awhile.

It takes awhile to recover from something like this, physically and emotionally. Take care of yourself and allow yourself to heal.

dawnann7 said:
Yikes! Glad you are okay. Don't let this get in the way of your goals. You just learned a good lesson or two, is all. :)

Thank you for the encouraging words. I am still pondering what the main take aways are apart from “don’t drive in snow without chains or studded tires.”

The scene continues to replay in my mind as I look for clues that I should of paid closer attention to.

Driving in snow takes experience. I don't use studded tires or chains and live in the very snowy and icy state of Maine. You can't drive like you normally drive when there isn't any snow and you definitely can't drive as fast. How fast depends on the conditions as there is wet snow, dry snow, deep snow, not so deep snow, outside temps, ground temps, etc etc all factor into it. If in doubt there is really no such thing as too slow.

Driving on the snow, can be equated to driving a boat. You're on water, only this time it's frozen...which only makes it worse!

You never really stop, and you never really start. You just kinda float everywhere. Patience is your closest friend.

This has been learned by living in the snowbelt during my youth, and by driving well over a million miles in the snow. (I've made several trips up the AlCan highway in a semi truck, in January.)

Slow down, be safe, watch your speed (something nobody does anymore), and live to tell the tale.