I Wrecked my New Van in Oregon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every Road Leads Home said:
Driving in snow takes experience.

I have next to zero experience in the snow. Had I known there wad going to be snow and ice involved I would of changed my route. This snowfall was not in the forecast I read the night before. I suppose staying up to date on current conditions is a solid tip too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from your blog: "[font=Arial, sans-serif]The towing costs amounted to several thousand dollars."[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]How did that happen?
[/font]

”The towing costs amounted to several thousand dollars."
How did that happen?

I don’t have the breakdown and I am sure he was charging the maximum he could get away with to insurance companies but what I recall from what he showed me was:
labor for 4 guys (flaggers, drivers, clean up)
Flares
Two trucks to remove van wedged in trees
Miles towed
Some state fee crap
And some other junk

I was in no mood to negotiate or ask questions

Chongolio said:
I have next to zero experience in the snow. Had I known there wad going to be snow and ice involved I would of changed my route. This snowfall was not in the forecast I read the night before.

Sorry, but this response doesn't sit well

If it said "Bright & Sunny" for the forecast, and you went outside to find that it was lightning and raining hard...you wouldn't proceed to go outside in your shorts and sandals. No, you'd go back inside, get your raincoat and an umbrella.

Skrew the forecast...ya gotta deal with what you've got in front of you, and if that is snow...then you gotta drive accordingly.

It was freakin’ beautiful until I got 45 minutes outside Bend. That is where I hit snow.

NOBODY I spoke with said snow was expected. Even the tow truck driver said he was caught unprepared for the 19 tows he was called to handle the morning I wrecked.

I was driving slow but admittedly not slow enough for the conditions I was unaccustomed to driving in.

I always told people who I let in my rally car not to drive any faster than they felt they could survive the crash and it was always better to hit rear first or as a second choice passenger side. Glad you were not hurt and got some driving experience!

I lived outside of Bend for awhile and snow can come with little or no warning this time of year.  Camped outside of Sisters one 4th of July and woke up to an inch of ice covering the water in the water bucket.  

Thankfully you weren't seriously hurt.

bullfrog said:
I always told people who I let in my rally car not to drive any faster than they felt they could survive the crash and it was always better to hit rear first or as a second choice passenger side. Glad you were not hurt and got some driving experience!

The trick is in remembering the tips and lessons in the midst of spin out

Chongolio said:
The trick is in remembering the tips and lessons in the midst of spin out

Don't beat yourself up. No one can handle a king size van once it breaks traction with the road in snow, ice, and/or even water. It's a blessing you are alive. I hope you get your new van started soon.

From what I remember of Oregon's soft alluvial (sp?) volcanic ash the road's sit on, it makes the roads quite imperfect for any kind of precipitation at all!

FWIW, slowing down is an ambiguous term.

More practical technique to determine proper safe speed is to never go faster than you can stop safely and quickly. The way to find out what that speed is, by tapping your brakes every few miles or when conditions change and seeing how your car reacts and how it slides/stops. Tap, all ok? Harder on the brakes, to see at what point skidding starts. Skids right away, max 20 mph or less. Snow generally has some traction, black ice being the worst, none. 

20-30 mph in slippery conditions can be too fast.
The problem always is too fast for conditions and human nature comparing to dry road condition speeds and desire to arrive at destination. Curves or ice potential with near freezing temps add another level of danger.

Only snow tires give any traction in cold temperatures on snow or ice. What did you have for tires on there?
Summer tires are dangerous in cold, snow and ice. 20mph could be too fast.

NEVER drive faster than you can stop safely. Use your brakes to determine safe driving/stopping speeds.
The laws of motion/ physics come into play with a reduced coefficient of friction between tires and asphalt seriously reducing control and braking effectiveness to the point of useless and being dangerous for a set speed.

If you are being tailgated, pull over and let pass. You might be passing him later on when he is in the ditch. Better him than you.

Minivanmotoman said:
If you are being tailgated, pull over and let pass. You might be passing him later on when he is in the ditch. Better him than you.

What a bummer. Glad you are OK.

On a trip to the RTR a couple of years ago, there was a ice storm on I-10 in West Texas.  Spent the night in a small town and waited for the thaw the next day.  Started driving well after lunch.  It got dark and the roads froze again.  I followed a 18 wheeler using low gear and had to slow down because I was idling faster than the trucks.  

A few times a car would come by doing about thirty in the left lane.  It wouldn't be but a mile or two and we would pass them because they had spun out into the median.  A lot of the big trucks were in the median too.  I have never seen it that bad.  I was born in Iowa....

breeze said:
Don't beat yourself up. No one can handle a king size van once it breaks traction with the road in snow, ice, and/or even water. It's a blessing you are alive. I hope you get your new van started soon.

Thanks for that!

OregonDeb said:
I lived outside of Bend for awhile and snow can come with little or no warning this time of year.  Camped outside of Sisters one 4th of July and woke up to an inch of ice covering the water in the water bucket.  

Thankfully you weren't seriously hurt.

My friend who came and got me said the same thing that It can snow there anytime of year. He also told me the area where I wrecked is notorious for having dangerous driving conditions

Wow! Scary accident. Glad you\re OK. Just bought my van in Dec. and it broke down almost immediately. Waiting until I have enough to fix it and hoping the one repair is all it needs. I'm glad I didn't push myself to leave before I had a repair fund. I could have been on the road before the repair came up. Your experience reminds me to be cautious and have a contingency fund, definitely get new tires, and other precautions before I go. I'm fortunate that I'm staying with a relative. While less than ideal in many ways, my departure date can be delayed until my rig is fully ready. I know we're all excited to hit the road, but this definitely gives me pause.

Bob had a video recently and the woman paid $1000 for her van. Think it was a full class B. She had to put a couple thousand in repairs in, but worth it. There are also tons of regular vans for around that price.

Glad you were OK. I can certainly understand how such an accident can make you doubt your choices, but it sounds like you have it in perspective. It can't be said enough that you were very fortunate. I hope you're feeling better and back on the road soon!

-Sub2RainEN

Minivanmotoman said:
Only snow tires give any traction in cold temperatures on snow or ice. What did you have for tires on there?

Being a new van, I can only tell you they were Michellin radials with plenty of tread and I had rotated them the day before I left

sub2rainEN said:
Glad you were OK. I can certainly understand how such an accident can make you doubt your choices, but it sounds like you have it in perspective. It can't be said enough that you were very fortunate. I hope you're feeling better and back on the road soon!

-Sub2RainEN

Thanks for kindness.

Another one of the positives that came out of this wreck, aside of me not getting smashed into oblivion, is the warning for others to drive safely and the tips in some of the replies shared here.

Regarding my own perspective, I take ownership of my wreck. I did not slow down enough for the conditions I found myself in. Totally my bad.

Although I checked the forecast, rotated my tires before the trip and slowed down considerably once the warning signs appeared, I still underestimated the severity of the dangerous scenario I unexpectedly found myself in.

I don’t know what my next move will be. This whole experience has become a frustrating emotional mess

Patrick46 said:
Sorry, but this response doesn't sit well

If it said "Bright & Sunny" for the forecast, and you went outside to find that it was lightning and raining hard...you wouldn't proceed to go outside in your shorts and sandals. No, you'd go back inside, get your raincoat and an umbrella.

I don’t think you fully understand the situation or my driving experience.

I am a very cautious and safe driver with a pretty good driving record. I did all I could to prepare for this short trip.

When I found myself in snow and ice, I did not keep speeding along like an idiot because the weather report said it would be “bright and sunny.”

I slowed down considerably but obvioulsy not nearly enough for the conditions that came about quickly and unexpectedly.

At the time of my crash, I had just slowed down to let a tailgater pass me and was looking for a place to pull over to wait until the weather warmed up and the conditions improved.

You seem like a cool dude and we share some common ground and interest, so I want to clear up any false judements you may have regarding my ability to drive safely and if I should be loose on the road.