I want to buy land in FL, put a mailbox on it, use for car storage and mail only

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadit

Reaction score
I want to buy land in FL, put a mailbox on it, use for mostly for mail only.  It wouldn't necessarily need to have a house or any structures on it, or if so, just something like a garage/barn to perhaps store a car, other items.   I travel full time, so wouldn't be there but perhaps 1 week per year.  I would need someone to collect my mail and send it to me about every 2 weeks.  Since I don't plan on living there, I dont need/want an expensive house there, if one at all, to avoid the upkeep on a house and the taxes on a house that I wouldn't be using.

Some have said that if I buy the land and mailbox, I could find many people willing to stay on my land in exchange for collecting and sending my mail.   But I need my mail year round to be sent to me in a responsible, timely manner.  Alternatively, I suppose I could buy some land and setup an official or informal RV park or a mini self-storage place with an employee.  I have over $200,000 available to do this, so money isn't the biggest issue.

I know there exists the Post Office and other PMB services, mail forwarding services, mail scanning services, etc but want to have MY OWN residential address and control with MY OWN address.  I've used the USPS Post Office boxes in the past but had problems with them losing hundreds of my letters, not forwarding my mail properly, threatening to close my box for it overflowing, etc.   I get about 3000 letters/mailpieces per year such as credit cards, bank statements, 1099 tax notices, etc.

Any suggestions?

Start by googling "cheap land florida" or "cheap lots florida" to see whether such a thing even exist.

And then switch all your banking and stuff to paperless online to cut the amount of mail you get. :D

I would be very aprehensive about remailing items for a "stranger". Lord only knows what is being shipped about the country these days. No way would I want to be the go between on some nefarious activity.

Not to imply that is your situation I just wouldn't do it at all for anyone that I did not know very well. If I could open everything and inspect it before shipping thats fine..otherwise it has a "mule" situation vibe to it.

Escapees’s has a park in Florida. They usually have some type of storage available. They also have one of the full service mail services where they receive packages and resend them. A lot with them is way less than $200,000 and when you are gone they can rent it out for you if you want at some of their parks. And when your done with it you usually get all your money back less a deposit I believe. It is very inexpensive to join, they used to have a special deal where the first year was like $40. You should check them out.

MrNoodly said:
Start by googling "cheap land florida" or "cheap lots florida" to see whether such a thing even exist.

And then switch all your banking and stuff to paperless online to cut the amount of mail you get. :D

Of course there is cheap land and lots in FL, especially in the rural areas.  Land can be bought for under $1500/acre although it might not be convenient to shopping.

I've thought about all the easy/basic things already, so yes, I've already switched online to what can be switched online.  Some things can't be switched online like credit cards, most 1099 tax forms, marketing spam.

Still, thanks for your suggestions.

desert_sailing said:
I would be very apprehensive about remailing items for a "stranger". Lord only knows what is being shipped about the country these days. No way would I want to be the go between on some nefarious activity.

Not to imply that is your situation I just wouldn't do it at all for anyone that I did not know very well. If I could open everything and inspect it before shipping thats fine..otherwise it has a "mule" situation vibe to it.

Hi Desert Sailing,

Do you camp/RV in places you've never been before, travel on roads you've never traveled before, thus, by definition, making you a stranger?  I bet you do. :dodgy: :s

My mail is mail as in letters, not guns/illegal drugs/endangered species.  If an employee/friend/stranger went to send something on behalf of the instructions of the person directing them, via USPS/FedEx/UPS/Mailbox Service like UPS store, the clerk/employee/friend/stranger wouldn't be held liable if they were an innocent mule.  Try not to let paranoia run overboard.   Besides, these letters ALREADY went through the mail service, and had opportunity to be inspected by the Post Office xray machines, drug dogs, chemical tests before arriving to wherever my new address in FL would be.  What I'm trying to do is little different than what Escapees or other remailers do, by having my own setup for greater control, rather than using an existing service like Escapees mail service.   If someone uses Escapees mail service to mail illegal things there, the Escapees employees don't get in trouble.  The final intended recipient would be the one in trouble, and the Postal Inspectors and/or police would nab the violator at the final mail destination.  If illegal drugs get sent to an employee at work, for example, the mail clerk who signs for the package isn't going to get in trouble.  The employee who ordered and received the drugs would be the one in trouble.

As far as worrying, I worry about the people entrusted to responsibly handle my mail, because even postal employees have lost, sabotaged, or screwed up my mail countless times.   I've had past roommates steal my mail, and others that I've known for years, people who weren't strangers to me, stealing my mail.  I didn't catch them immediately, but eventually I caught them.  Do Escapees or other mail services like the UPS store or other Private Mail Boxes open and inspect all mail before sending it on?  No.  Do they know everyone well that uses their remailing service?  No.  I would be taking more of a risk with my mail than others handling my mail.   The Postal Inspectors go after people abusing the mail service that knowingly sent illegal items.  By the same token, I would want to get to know the person(s) well who are handling my mail before entrusting them with not losing/stealing it, to reduce my risk.

Taking your line of logic, should any campground rent to any RV'er, including you, who are all strangers upon first arrival?  What if the RV'er is transporting illegal drugs/illegal guns/sex slaves, other nefarious activity, etc?  What if they are a murderer?  There was a story years ago, where some escaped prisoners killed some people after they escaped, then went to a state park or campground where they were finally caught.  That doesn't mean all RV'ers are murderers or bad people.  Or........maybe you watched too many horror movies :D :D :D

I would guess that 99.9999% of campers are law abiding just as 99.9999% of mailers are law abiding.  If the 1 in 1 million bad apples kept everyone scared, then no one would be RV'ing or camping.  I would guess that less than 1 in a million instances (sleep nights) of people sleeping in a campground or RV get murdered.  Should the 999,999+ successful outings be cancelled because of the rare instance of campers being murdered?  RV'ers are far more likely to be strangers than neighbors in a fixed traditional house by their nature of having a home on wheels.  However, I doubt that RV'ers are more likely to be murderers, even though they are far more itinerant and stay at far more locations in a year than traditional home-dwellers.  Similarly, should no one travel in an RV because some people die in RV traffic accidents?   The rare instances of misfortune shouldn't outweigh the far higher likelihood of having a successful trip where most people don't die in traffic accidents, don't get murdered while sleeping in an RV.

https://helenair.com/news/escaped-i...cle_5b511aa0-ac1f-11df-a1ba-001cc4c002e0.html
https://blog.goodsam.com/update-dangerous-fugitives-caught-at-campground
"A few days ago, we alerted you of a dangerous situation regarding escaped Arizona prison inmates. Those inmates are linked to the recent murder of an RVing couple (Gary & Linda Haas) in New Mexico. They were suspected of staying at campgrounds as they fled police."

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/na...owstone-national-park-police-article-1.202008
"A pair of escaped convicts and their alleged "Girl Friday" may be camping out at Yellowstone National Park, authorities said Sunday, with at least one linked to the murder of two people."

If no one flew in airplanes, took car/rv trips, then no one would die from them.  However, most of society has determined the risk is so small of dying, less than 1 in a million deaths per mile traveled, that it's worth the risk.

I'm trying to solve my problem, not prevent it from being solved.  If it's not for you to collect mail for others, fine... just like traveling in an RV isn't for everyone.

bullfrog said:
Escapees’s has a park in Florida. They usually have some type of storage available. They also have one of the full service mail services where they receive packages and resend them. A lot with them is way less than $200,000 and when you are gone they can rent it out for you if you want at some of their parks. And when your done with it you usually get all your money back less a deposit I believe. It is very inexpensive to join, they used to have a special deal where the first year was like $40. You should check them out.
Hi Bullfrog,

That's new information to me that Escapees will sell a lot. I was looking to do something similar, but to do it on my own, have my own land, under my own greater control, have someone collect my mail.  

I just read about it in more detail on their website.  fl-skp-resort.org   I see there are 133 people on the wait list, if that's for the same thing of buying a lot.  I was hoping to have more control, less interference/bottlenecks, like that wait list.  Furthermore, I'm disqualified for being far less than 55 years old, so as I expected, I've already encountered 2 factors that wouldn't exist if I had my own land - 1 no wait list restriction, 2 no age limit restriction.  Who knows what other restrictions they might have that prevent me from accomplishing my goals, hidden in their HOA type rules.   It illustrates why I need to have greater control over my own mail.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.  While it won't work for me due to not being 55+, that might work for other people.

roadit said:
 I've used the USPS Post Office boxes in the past but had problems with them losing hundreds of my letters, not forwarding my mail properly, threatening to close my box for it overflowing, etc.   I get about 3000 letters/mailpieces per year such as credit cards, bank statements, 1099 tax notices, etc.

Any suggestions?
you tried the USPS so I would think if you really do not want land and are doing this just for a very secure situation you are trying to obtain, why not try a 'real mail forwarding' business first?  There are many great reputable ones so.....if you land step is big and ya wanna try something else first, the a real mail forwarding business would be my jump first and check reviews etc before selecting one.    If you want land and an employee type situation, sure I would think you can easily set that up too.  Let us know which way you roll :)  best of luck finding that great situation for ya.

Aside from the mail issues stated, which I agree with, be sure to check local ordinances for any land you want to purchase and allow others to inhabit for periods of time.

This thread shows just how important the US mail service is to us and that even if it cost tax payer monies it needs to be improved to be able to better provide better service not run like a business as it truly is a service.

There is a way via the usps system to “see” electronically every piece of mail due for delivery to your address.

You would have to research it, but I have been told about it by others who use it.

Anything I mail that is important or valuable I send Priority Mail, as that comes with a tracking number.

There are several sites that state forwarding the mail unless authorized to do so as either a forwarding service or persons with power of attorney or executor of an estate is ILLEGAL.

Something you may want to be clear about before you begin.

If the OP really receives 1000's of pieces of mail..........ESCAPEES is NOT the answer

My Membership in the club and MY Residence and mailing service is less than $250 a Year....I'm digital for most matters.......

The GOTCHA for the OP is You pay an additional $1 each piece........... postage from Florida to Texas......Escapees official USPS re-Mail office

I'm a Florida resident for 50 years......The Ocala Forest area has advertised property..............small sites..........

BUT in most of Florida you usually HAVE to have civil engineering documents for Electric, Water and Septic BEFORE you can get a MAILBOX/Address

The first step is to bhget stared on paperless accounts. Many comanies and govrrnment agencies now are willing to do all contact with you via the internet. The days when you have to deal with 1,000 pieces of physical mail a year ore over. As to getting a mailbox on a piece of vacant land that has never had a mailbox, that is something that has to be applied for with the USPS. It might take a while to make it happen. Not all rural properties have a street address assigned to them. Plus the USPS is no longer doing mail delivery to all rural addresses. So you need to begin by investigating what it will take to get a sdtrretbaddress and get permission to put up a rural maillbox and where it has to be located.

Next issue is rural mailboxes are frequently targeted for theft as their are no eyes on them. A locked box is not much of a detterent to a determined or skilled thief.

So begin getting your bills via your email and then find a reliable mail forwarding service for the hopefully very few pieces of physical mail you will still receive.

Also, here in Florida, it is fun for some party people to drive by your mailbox and whack it to bits with a baseball bat (not sure how many points each destroyed mailbox earns). Due to that, I did not put up another mailbox and have had a P.O. Box since. The post office is on my way to work, so it is no big deal to stop by once a week and collect my mail. Once I retire, I will use a service that scans and sends me digital copies. Meanwhile, I am opting for the paperless choice for utilities, insurance, etc.

They used to do that in rural Arkansas also. I planted a 4”x 4” post 2’ in the ground then took a 3’ piece of chain link fence and wove it together at the ends to form a cylinder that I put over the post and filled with river rocks which made it look like stone masonry (one of the favorite kind to knock over) then bought one of the big farm mail boxes and used a steel plate on the inside bottom to bolt to the wooden post with 4- 8” lag bolts. I then took a 6 inch PVC pipe that fit in the mail box and filled the remaining space with concrete. They managed to break off my flag once but I cut one out of 1/4” plate that lasted as a replacement. I always smiled when there were pieces of wooden bats and broken car window glass on the ground when I got the mail. One time the brat kid down the road went by with a cast on his right arm and gave me the finger, I just smiled and waved.

bullfrog said:
This thread shows just how important the US mail service is to us and that even if it cost tax payer monies it needs to be improved to be able to better provide better service not run like a business as it truly is a service.

Yes, its very important.  The problem is that it is a government run monopoly, and the government usually performs far less professionally than the private sector because there is no competition FOR LETTER MAIL.  The reason most government functions perform worse than the private sector, whether the mail or public schools, is that unlike in the private sector, the poorly performing large post offices or schools don't go out of business.  Citizens are forced to put up with mediocre service.   Yes, I realize I could change to a different post office, but that doesnt change the fact that its still a monopoly.  I have hundreds of businesses mailing to me, so its not feasible or easy to do as if I only had 10-20 places mailing to me.

maki2 said:
The first step is to bhget stared on paperless accounts. Many comanies and govrrnment agencies now are willing to do all contact with you via the internet. The days when you have to deal with 1,000 pieces of physical mail a year ore over. As to getting a mailbox on a piece of vacant land that has never had a mailbox, that is something that has to be applied for with the USPS. It might take a while to make it happen. Not all rural properties have a street address assigned to them. Plus the USPS is no longer doing mail delivery to all rural addresses. So you need to begin by investigating what it will take to get a street address and get permission to put up a rural maillbox and where it has to be located.

Next issue is rural mailboxes are frequently targeted for theft as their are no eyes on them. A locked box is not much of a deterrent to a determined or skilled thief.

So begin getting your bills via your email and then find a reliable mail forwarding service for the hopefully very few pieces of physical mail you will still receive.

Ive already converted to estatements what can be converted.  I get 100's of estatements.  My mail is for what is not available for estatements.  I STILL get thousands of pieces of mail a year.

Yes, I know the risk of having a rural mailbox run over and mail stolen.  If I do that, I would get a $500-1000 heavy duty one off the shelf or have a similar one built, and/or have someone staying on my property collecting my mail out of my box at least once a week.

Yes, I know the Post Office has to assign a specific address to rural areas, if one hasn't already been assigned with a specific number/street name.

Mail forwarding service presents a risk of loss of control.  Ive already decided to create my own mail forwarding service for myself, so to speak.  Ive already looked into the mail forwarding service.  With the volume I get, the cost with some mail forwarding services would be prohibitive.  I also dont want to be at the whim at a rotating group of minimum wage employees.  I want something that I own, whether farmland, rural land, a lot, a house/condo, or a storage/mail service business for myself and possibly others.   Fortunately I have the funds to do it, just trying to crowdsource the best ideas/suggestions.  I have high income, high net worth, but not yet having my own physical property with my own physical address in FL yet.

WanderingRose said:
There is a way via the usps system to “see” electronically every piece of mail due for delivery to your address.

You would have to research it, but I have been told about it by others who use it.

Anything I mail that is important or valuable I send Priority Mail, as that comes with a tracking number.

You're right.  Informed Delivery is a great service which I've used for several years.  However, I still need the physical items whether it be a credit card replacement because the old expired, or a business purpose that requires me to open the letter, sign it, and mail/fax it back.  In years past, I've had some bank accounts get escheated to the state because I didn't get the mail in time to respond before the deadline.  For that service you mention, it only shows you the outside face of the front of the envelope.   Certain items cant be set up for estatements.  Sure, you can get credit card estatements, which I do for all my credit cards, but when they send you the new CC with new expiration, or the annual privacy notices, or new fee schedule, they mail those and don't offer them to be emailed.  How possibly could a credit card be sent through an estatement?  At most you could get the account #, but you would still need the physical card with the new expiration and 3 digit vcode to activate it.

abnorm said:
If the OP really receives 1000's of pieces of mail..........ESCAPEES is NOT the answer

My Membership in the club and MY Residence and mailing service is less than $250 a Year....I'm digital for most matters.......

The GOTCHA for the OP is You pay an additional $1 each piece........... postage from Florida to Texas......Escapees official USPS re-Mail office

I'm a Florida resident for 50 years......The Ocala Forest area has advertised property..............small sites..........

BUT in most of Florida you usually HAVE to have civil engineering documents for Electric, Water and Septic BEFORE you can get a MAILBOX/Address
ABNorm,

You get it!  Yes I get about 2000-3000 mailpieces per year, even AFTER getting everything I can sign up for estatements.  $1 per mailpiece would be excessively expensive, not to mention not being fully in control, not owning the property.

Thanks for that tip about needing to get engineering docs for utilities first BEFORE you can get an address assigned.  I hadn't heard that before.

Having a high mail volume is why I want to set up my own service for myself, brainstorming and thinking about the best way to do this for a long time.  I wonder how much demand there would be for me to set something else up for myself, and then possibly also offering it out as a higher level service than what Escapees offers.   Maybe this isn't the best analogy, but there exists a basic grocery store like Aldi's with no on site bakery/pharmacy/butcher/pharmacy while there also exist specialized and/or high end full service grocery stores.   Or basic hotels like Motel 6 with no breakfast vs high end hotels with fancy breakfast, concierge, laundry service, room service, shoe cleaning service, etc.  

Is there much of a demand for RV'ers or other people that need a higher level of mail service than what Escapees offers or other mail servicers offer?   Some businesses started because there was a need that was not being met by the marketplace, such as AirBnB, Uber, etc.

Thanks everybody for helping to move this discussion forward.  It makes this a great forum.