I Need Some Advice On T.V. Service In My Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are going to be doing urban stealth camping? If not then a lot of people have a satellite T.V. dish stand that is meant to be set on the ground.

Low income persons can get $30.00 a month credit to help pay for internet service. Not all cell phone companies are offering that type of plan but many do. If you are on Medicaid you do qualify for it.

What is your actual budget for phone/Internet/TV? At the moment it looks like you're trying to do one stop shopping. Depending on your allowance for the above, and your answer to the question below, you might be able to piece together a better solution.

Another big deal would be where you plan on being. Urban stealth or more open area? Really will make a huge difference depending on the answer.

OK, T-Mobile already took steps to boost themselves over ATT and Verizon. T-Mobile created, "Binge On" which lets you stream unlimited video and T.V. programs without touching the data plan you pay for on their communication network.

T-Mobile started to create this free streaming service in 2015 which makes me wonder why it's not all over the internet? It's going to be out in the van communities now if it's real. I've been researching it for hours now and can't find any flaws.

The way it works is you can stream free as long as you use the T-Mobile partner networks like, "Hulu", "Sling", "Movieplex", "Direct TV", "Netflix", "Starz", "You Tube Red", "Amazon", "Tubi" and more which you have to pay for and have a 3 GB T-Mobile plan or higher. You just have to be a T-Mobile Simple Choice custormer.

If you watch video from a T-Mobile Binge On "Non" partner your data from your plan will be used but you will get 3 times more data until your data runs out.

I would like to hear about any flaws in this T-Mobile Binge On streaming service if you find any but right now as I write this post it looks like T-Mobile is just trying to get on top of the pile knowing other services are throttling their customers.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/binge-on-streaming-video
I don't know what special equipment or electronic setup you or I will need to stream Binge On T.V. and movies. I was watching a You Tube video and the guy had a router box and some other hookup boxes on a solar generator so this is still under research.

Last edited:
What is your actual budget for phone/Internet/TV? At the moment it looks like you're trying to do one stop shopping. Depending on your allowance for the above, and your answer to the question below, you might be able to piece together a better solution.

Another big deal would be where you plan on being. Urban stealth or more open area? Really will make a huge difference depending on the answer.
I plan on doing BLM and Stealth. I kinda like $50 to $65 a month but I would pay more If I get more for less.

OK, T-Mobile already took steps to boost themselves over ATT and Verizon. T-Mobile created, "Binge On" which lets you stream unlimited video and T.V. programs without touching the data plan you pay for on their communication network.

T-Mobile started to create this free streaming service in 2015 which makes me wonder why it's not all over the internet? It's going to be out in the van communities now if it's real. I've been researching it for hours now and can't find any flaws.

The way it works is you can stream free as long as you use the T-Mobile partner networks like, "Hulu", "Sling", "Movieplex", "Direct TV", "Netflix", "Starz", "You Tube Red", "Amazon", "Tubi" and more which you have to pay for and have a 3 GB T-Mobile plan or higher. You just have to be a T-Mobile Simple Choice custormer.

If you watch video from a T-Mobile Binge On "Non" partner your data from your plan will be used but you will get 3 times more data until your data runs out.

I would like to hear about any flaws in this T-Mobile Binge On streaming service if you find any but right now as I write this post it looks like T-Mobile is just trying to get on top of the pile knowing other services are throttling their customers.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/binge-on-streaming-video
I don't know what special equipment or electronic setup you or I will need to stream Binge On T.V. and movies. I was watching a You Tube video and the guy had a router box and some other hookup boxes on a solar generator so this is still under research.

HD video will eat a lot of bandwidth.
Use SD setting to eat less bandwidth.
Live within your budget.

With the deal, one has to subscribe to multiple channels, instead of the provider offering those channels as part of its package. They reduced their costs, and passes them on to the user.

Amazon Prime used to have a lot of free content, now it's $8 to $10 per channel per month.

FreeVee (oxymoronically a "premium free" streaming service) is just going back in time to free broadcast TV with annoying commercial breaks.

Last edited:
T-Mobile discontinued the "Simple Choice Customer" and is telling these customers to go to their "Magenta Max" plan which is $140 a month. I'm still researching.

HD video will eat a lot of bandwidth.
Use SD setting to eat less bandwidth.
Live within your budget.

With the deal, one has to subscribe to multiple channels, instead of the provider offering those channels as part of its package. They reduced their costs, and passes them on to the user.

Amazon Prime used to have a lot of free content, now it's $8 to $10 per channel per month.

FreeVee (oxymoronically a "premium free" streaming service) is just going back in time to free broadcast TV with annoying commercial breaks.
This FreeVee is an internet and cable streaming service.

The problem van dwellers are having is with the ISP (Internet Service Providers) themselves and not the streaming venues. You can't stream when the ISP's are ripping you a big one in your behind.

I called T-Mobile just now and the phone clerk didn't really know what "Binge On" was but he looked it up and told me to use "Binge On" I needed 3 GB at $35 a month to use it plus whatever the streaming service charged.

This is straight from the horses mouth.

I have "Boost Mobile" for my cell service. They gave me 2gb and I don't know how much T.V. streaming I get for that because I'm in a home for the time being with all the amenities for now.

I was watching some videos on how to get T.V. channels in my van and the guy stated to stream T.V. programs from my phone I would use up "1 GB" of data an hour. Is this true? Of course I was already planning on going to unlimited data streaming but, "WOW", I didn't know T.V. shows would eat up that much data. I also read that even if you have unlimited data the phone companies will throttle back your data speeds if there's alot of activity on their network.

So Boost Mobile will give me 35 GB a month for $60.00 then reduce my data speeds for the remainder of the month when I exceed the 35 GB. How do I get unlimited Data without breaking my bank?

T-Mobile has an unlimited data plan for $140 a month. Puretalk has unlimited data for $65.00 with a 25 GB hotspot whatever that means. I'm sure T-Mobile has coverage everywhere just about and Puretalk states they have nationwide coverage. I hear alot of van dwellers use ATT and Verizon but some of these lower cost phone companies piggyback on the ATT and Verizon networks. I'm still looking at the plans that are out there.

I'd really like to stream "Sling", "You Tube T.V" or another T.V. streaming service directly to my tablet or T.V. without having to go through a phone company.

OK, I just want to know what's the best way to get my favorite T.V. channels in my van without breaking my bank. Sitting outside and watching the desert shrubs grow is fine but watching my favorite shows is somewhat better.

This is another area I need to learn about and I'm watching videos and talking to the members in this forum.

Thanks! :)
Look at Visible.

Look at Visible.
Visible is on the Verizon Network. When the Verizon Network gets busy with their own customers they force the networks that are piggybacking on their network (Visible) to throttle their customers.

Visible throttles it's members after their data is gone. I have no idea of how much T.V. you watch each day but 50 GB's will be eaten up fast if you watch T.V. alot. You can sit outside and watch the clouds roll by but if you want to watch T.V. it ain't happening all month.

It's the same for ATT, Verizon and T-Mobile. When their customers start experiencing problems they force all the services piggybacking on their networks to throttle down. ATT, Verizon and T-Mobile throttle their own customers also after they exceed their data limits. You'll never win with any of these services at all.

At least T-Mobile is offering up a data streaming service for T.V. and Movies off their service network. Gotta check it out. :)

On the Visible+ plan, you will receive 50GB of premium data each month, which covers your usage on the 5G Nationwide and 4G LTE networks. After 50 GB of premium data on the Visible+ plan and for all data usage on the Visible plan and the Visible Unlimited plan, in times of traffic, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic. Video is delivered at SD (480p) quality.

I really don't know about the "throttling back" or data cap. With unlimited data, and 5 people using data on our plan.....we have NEVER had to pay for anything extra. When I travel, I stop for the night and after dinner I might watch 3-4 hours of TV, Amazon Prime, or you tub videos without any issue. If I were camping and watching 8-12 hours a day......maybe that might be a problem. Guess I would have to check into that if I decide to watch a lot more.

I have had Visible for my cell service for 4 years and they are my only source for internet, I watch netflix, videos and surf the internet a lot. I use my phone to supply my tablet by wifi, my laptop by usb cord and any thing else I need internet on. My cost is $25 a month on my plan which has been changed. I have never not been able to stream video.

Visible doesn't throttle speeds. They do limit hotspot usage to 5mbs, but even that isn't the case depending on the location. Some report much faster speeds with hotspot.
https://www.visible.com/help/unlimited-data
So do you need live TV or just to be able to watch TV show content? There is a difference.

Last edited:
They have data caps and throttling If my memory serves me well.
I have had visible for several years now. Works most of the time. No data caps in aware of, I routinely hit 100 gb a month of usage. It is in Verizon backbone.

I have had visible for several years now. Works most of the time. No data caps in aware of, I routinely hit 100 gb a month of usage. It is in Verizon backbone.
"Works Most Of The Time" are the key words. This means it doesn't work ALL of the time and you are getting throttled.

I appreciate all the input but I already know that if you stream video or T.V. programs it will eat up 1 GB an hour which is an extreme amount of data.

Sure, I'm here to learn but when you need 12 hours a day of online streaming which tallies up to 360 GB hours a month I don't think 35 to 50 GB a month adds up to a great streaming experience.

When they throttle you they slow your internet speeds which causes more buffering.

Read the link I posted above. Visible explicitly says they never throttle, no matter how much data you use. They can't have that on their site and not follow through. They would be sued in minutes.

Also, like I previously asked. Do you need live TV or just viewing content for your TV like Netflix, etc?

All towers have finite capacity. As excessive contention causes the capacity to be reached, then some connected devices will suffer loss of performance. That’s not the same as throttling as throttling is nothing more but an attempt to avoid reaching the capacity limits by artificially reducing performance by some connected devices. There are always limits. Deal with it.

On a side note, we are starting to see the signs of contention with StarLink.