I love being on the water

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motrukdriver

Reaction score
almost as much as camping in the great outdoors.  Pulling a boat unless you have that load it system kinda limits you to having a truck camper and a really heavy duty pickup.  Don't get me wrong, I like truck campers but at this point in my life I'm probably not going to get one.  I've been toying around with the idea of building a Vardo type trailer and that would be pretty cool in its own right.  Other than every Youtuber out there wanting to interview you it would be an awesome way to travel.  So, I was thinking about how to combine my love of being on the water and being in the great outdoors.   So, I found this and wow..  This could be the one!  A trailerable houseboat that doubles as your travel trailer and boat.  This fella sells plans to build several versions (length) and if you check out the floor plans they are very usable just as campers.  The best part is they are not that much heavier than a comparable length travel trailer.  Granted, you don't have the same amount of enclosed space but you get a pretty cool looking porch if you follow the plans.  I'm sure they are easy to modify to suit your needs.   Ok, a Vardo houseboat maybe?  Imagine going up to Lake Havasu and spending the day, then night, then the next day on the lake before heading off to find your camping spot.  Just slide your camper into the water and off you go after locking the tow vehicle and trailer up securely.  Check out the link and add your comments.

http://www.berkeley-engineering.com/AquaCasaHouseboat.html

Those are nice but kinda difficult to live on full time. I think the barbeque grill would throw the balance off just enough to be dangerous....

I love being on the water too.  It's almost a necessity for me.  Whenever I camp and travel I always try and end up in a spot with water.  On almost every cross country trip i've done I've brought along a kayak.  They one's I didn't bring it on, I wished I had had it in a lot of places.  

I'm planning on a toy hauler set up so I can take my Gheenoe along....it's a small flat back canoe that can take a small outboard.  I like exploring small streams and rivers too, so canoe works perfect.  And Gheenoes are surprisingly stable so I can bring along my dog.  

Houseboat idea is pretty neat though.  There's a guy that blogged about doing just that.  The houseboat rentals on lake Powell inspired his idea.  It would be pretty cool to be able to spend days out on the water or on land depending on where you were.  I can't find his blog, it used to come right up in a google search.  I can think of worse ways to spend a day than being on a houseboat.

Attachments

• House boat and Lake Powell.jpg
    House boat and Lake Powell.jpg
    60.7 KB
I've always been curious about living on the water. How do you know and plan where you can come ashore to get supplies? :huh:  Are there GPS navigation systems for coming ashore near a Walmart?

Obviously this isn't like pulling into the Walmart parking lot in a van and picking up a week or two worth of food and water. I spent quite a bit of time kayaking water ways when I was younger and it was always very restrictive where you could set in,,, and far from any stores.

Search on "little hobo boat".  I don't remember what the amenities were, but small enough to tow .  Might get old climbing a ladder to get in and out  on land though.  

I thought about getting one of these but decided if I needed to get on the water, I would rent one or a houseboat.  Remember, boat stands for "break out another thousand".

I have had one boat in my life and the two happiest day were buying it and selling it :p

broken ed said:
I've always been curious about living on the water. How do you know and plan where you can come ashore to get supplies? :huh:  Are there GPS navigation systems for coming ashore near a Walmart?

Obviously this isn't like pulling into the Walmart parking lot in a van and picking up a week or two worth of food and water. I spent quite a bit of time kayaking water ways when I was younger and it was always very restrictive where you could set in,,, and far from any stores.

The idea would be that the trailerable houseboat would be your camper most of the time.  You'd only put it on the water when you got to an area were there were boat launches.  Spend a day or two on the boat then put it back on the trailer and go camp on dry land somewhere.  Unless I was going to cruise the Great Loop, getting supplies would be the same as if you had a regular camper of some sorts.  Just pull in at a Walmart or Albertson's or what ever grocery store you like to visit and stock up.  If you did decide to cruise the Great Loop you'd be stopping at marinas for pricey fuel and to moor then using your bike/trailer to go get supplies.

I toyed with the idea of the Great Loop for months but alas, Trevor doesn't float. I follow plenty of folks living on boats, some who never leave the country and others who are circumnavigating the globe. I built a sailboat and keep it in the garage but it's strictly a freshwater fair weather creature. Trevor will happily tow it if I ever get around to putting a hitch on. Lots of inexpensive boats to choose from especially up around the great lakes. In the end i decided on Trevor.

Motrukdriver said:
The idea would be that the trailerable houseboat would be your camper most of the time.  You'd only put it on the water when you got to an area were there were boat launches.  Spend a day or two on the boat then put it back on the trailer and go camp on dry land somewhere.  

I've seen an interesting version of what you describe with this vehicle (6:46 minute video)...

rm.w/aview said:
I've seen an interesting version of what you describe with this vehicle (6:46 minute video)...

Very nice...  just sent it to my wife.  Maybe I can talk her into getting one the next time we head down there.

I love the water too ... i'am only a part time boondocker ( hate state parks / campgrounds )
and being in Florida i have found plenty of boondocking with water ... and alligators

i alway take my kayak to really enjoy backwater spots and bass fishing
wekiva 22.jpg

for the lager rivers i have a sea eagle 10' inflatable with 9.9 hp
IMG_5321.JPG

and depending on my mood & where i am going 2 4X4's
hummer 2.jpg

truck 001.png

as i said i hate campgrounds , give me a 4X4, woods, mud, sand, swamp, bugs, snakes ( hey it keeps the city folks away ) & fishing water and i am happy .... oh yea solar too

Attachments

• wekiva 22.jpg
    wekiva 22.jpg
    118.6 KB
  • IMG_5321.JPG
    IMG_5321.JPG
    1.5 MB
  • hummer 2.jpg
    hummer 2.jpg
    122.2 KB
  • truck 001.png
    truck 001.png