I have a VAN!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazySister

Reaction score
My husband found a 1978 Ford van with a new engine, brakes, tires, and more. He got the price down and bartered a little. I thought it would be a long time til we found one. It is converted and needs just a few tweaks to make "our nest". Can not wait to go to the coast in it. We are still a ways from retirement ( I am 1/2 way retired and have summers off) but we are excited to live in it when we can and enjoy the simple/ joyful part of life... fishing, hiking, being together. I am on cloud nine.

Yay! I am so happy for you. Can you post pictures? I love all retro vehicles. 1978 is the year I graduated high school.

Good going!

We had a 75 E100 for 15 years and then sold it for more than we paid. I think I rebuilt or had rebuilt just about everything on it but the engine and you just couldn't kill that in line 300.

My father's first van was a 1975 E150 shorty cargo van. Had the side barn doors. The only major problem we had was the Twin I-beam system sometimes wears out and starts making a horrendous screeching noise. It had to be rebuilt. His '86 E-150 is standard (long) wheelbase and has sliding side door - it is my parts van now. I am watching for indications of this with my '88 conversion E-150. The Fourth and Fifth Gen vans went to a standard A-arm system.

GrantRobertson said:
Yay! I am so happy for you. Can you post pictures? I love all retro vehicles. 1978 is the year I graduated high school.

I am so low on the tec scale, I don't have a way to do pics. It has a raised roof, so can stand in the center. Over cab storage, double bed with porta potty and dresser built in. Small one basin sink with pump for water, builtin microwave, and small removeable table. Three cupboards high up and double doors in back for under bed storage. Both chairs swivel around so in the rain we will have a cozy place to sit and play cards. The bed has a great innerspring mattress so the trade off for the permanant bed is a great place to sleep and lots of under storage for tools, fishing poles, and my solar oven. It is seriously retro on the outside for sure and I love it.

Sounds great. A lot better than our cargo van with a futon. lol

jimindenver said:
Good going!

We had a 75 E100 for 15 years and then sold it for more than we paid. I think I rebuilt or had rebuilt just about everything on it but the engine and you just couldn't kill that in line 300.

The man we bought it from is in his late 70's and in a wheelchair/ crutches. He was a mechanic by trade. He sold it because he was having trouble getting the wheel chair in and out. He bought a shorty bus that transported seniors to make another rv. And he lived in the coolest Trailways bus he had converted into the most beautiful home. We were so blessed to get this. Inspirational guy and we made a friend as well as getting the van.

Sounds great. I have all the tools but somehow my work always comes out ummm crude. lol I do a lot better when I'm paid to build.

Solar oven? Cool. I just got one and you know how that is. I've been making stuff when ever the sun shines. Yesterday it was baby backs and today blue berry muffins and lemon cake.

jimindenver said:
Sounds great. I have all the tools but somehow my work always comes out ummm crude. lol I do a lot better when I'm paid to build.

Solar oven? Cool. I just got one and you know how that is. I've been making stuff when ever the sun shines. Yesterday it was baby backs and today blue berry muffins and lemon cake.

Blueberry muffins, yum! I love my solar oven. I bought it last summer and got to use it alot because it was my first summer off in many years. Brown rice, baked potatoes, ribs, chocolate cake, and more, more,more. It is so satisfying to use and make something amazing to eat using free power. If you make bread let me know how it turns out, that and pizza are on my must master list.

I'll do that. I almost picked up some take and bake on the discount rake but I'd rather bake some from scratch. Plus with the muffins and cake I'll be carb heavy for a week. I will say the moist heat is much better than dry heat.

I just saw your picture of ribs, they looked fantastic. (I haven't been on computer for awhile) I have the stacking, round, black enamelware pans and they are great for making a meal. I usually throw a couple canning jars of water in there too. Makes for great tea or cleanup water. A friend cooked bread with one loaf pan inverted over the other to reduce the moisture problem. Sometimes I have to wipe off the glass in the middle of cooking. Waiting eagerly for the sun so I can use mine again.

Latest posts