I have a nice bus now

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c_hasbeen

Reaction score
I have had this bus ten days now, I have the seats removed, the buzzers for the door disconnected and the usual other wiring interlock systems removed to keep the bus from starting if  a door is locked, plus stickers removed and working on the flashing light system removal now

I have the wildest dreams of solar & battery system, insulation and all of the wonderful things a school bus can have!

Attachments

• IMG_20150510_134657.jpg
    IMG_20150510_134657.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Exciting project to be sure, ah to be young and full of vim and vigor Best of luck with your plans.

I've always wanted to do a schoolie. Built like tanks, great ground clearance and lots of room. Good luck.

I came across a converted bus like that on the Kankamagus in NH. It was a friendly couple that were happy to show off their conversion. The huge roof allowed for numerous solar panels. They also added a large tank for cooking oil they used for engine fuel but could also switch to diesel when needed. With all the space they really and truly had a house on wheels.

Good luck with your project!

I drove her home from Colorado Springs to Topeka, I traveled at 70 mph and the average was 9 mpg. towards getting closer to home I backed off and traveled at 62 mph and the bus seemed to really like that speed, I am sure if I stay at 55 to 62 ish my average will improve.

there is one here for sale for 2k, i think a church is selling. 1988 i think was the year on it. but it just seems too huge to me. do you need a special license?

I would be HAPPY beyond all measure to share my conversion!!!
would it be appropriate to put the process here on this thread or would a feller be better off putting it on some other location?

Forums ~Share your story ~conversions.

So many possibilities!

Holy-Didders C !!!

Congrats on the bus purchase.
That will be one sweet project. Looking forward to your build process.

14 windows... should be about 40 ft long. Mine is 40 ft (15 windows). "RV"s are exempt from CDL requirements. Although you may have to dig down into the requirements to find the exemptions to prove to some that you do not a CDL. That is part of the reason you see "NOT FOR HIRE" on so many vehicles. If not COMMERCIAL (the "C" in CDL), usually you do not need a commercial license regardless of weight, air brakes, size or any of the other many reasons some say.