I hate to pay for but if she will do it...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree wholeheartedly but with flipping the axles it's up to around $500. Still it's well worth it and I am lucky enough to be able to afford it.

just a heads up, you really don't flip the axles, although that is what everybody calls it. the axle must be removed from the top of the spring and new spring pads welded to the axle and then reinstalled on the bottom of the spring. btw new U-Bolts should be used. highdesertranger

no no, 90% of the axles today are not straight. they have a bend in the center to give the tires camber when unloaded when they are loaded they straighten out. if you flip it everything will be backwards and when the trailer is loaded the tire will have excessive camber, tires will not last long and a bent axle is not far behind. I have done many of these and I haven't seen an axle you can flip in 20 years. highdesertranger

I've been reading up on what it means and what to expect. I will have to discuss what the shop plans on doing exactly before I ok it. It's a family owned business from the 60's and I would imagine it's a pretty common request in this area. They are also the only dealer here of the brand I use so the number of experts are limited.

check in to having a custom set of leaf springs made and see what they cost,might even have some from another application that will work

Took the trailer in this morning. I thought I was going to go batty for today to get but as we know, it's to late for that. ;)

They were still working on it as I pulled in. The roof is cleaned, sealed and treated. The A/C is gone and the Fantastic fan opens and closes itself. Flipping the axles really did raise it but I didn't feel it on the way home. Now I can get started on the mounting of the panels this weekend. They are going to see if they can get a awning fabric in and I'll have them do a power jack too. I was toast by the time I hitch up at the shop, parked it solo in the dark and then unhitched again. I'll drop off the stinger and pick up the battery in the morning.

Good update,,,,,one step closer.................actually several steps!

Never ever again will you see my panels in the drive or propped up at a site. The neighbors helped me put them on the roof last night and I locked them down today. Tomorrow I do the reseal the shop didn't have time for before it snows Thursday and finish the wiring over the weekend. It's not like the Lifelines are low or anything but I will sure feel better once they are hooked back up.

Attachments

• solar install panels.jpg
    solar install panels.jpg
    163.7 KB
Queen said:
Sweet!  Sometimes, especially when we're dealing with health issues, it's just freaking easier to throw some money at the problem.  Nice option to have.

Any problem that can be solved with money is not really a problem at all.

That's the funny part. I had originally set it up for a scrape and reseal. Then the A/C swap for the fan was added and a few days later the axle flip, it was too much for the appointment. I could take it back but I'd rather spend a few hours here than take it back there for a day. They did wash and treat it so I just have to squeeze on the caulking gun for a while. I'm just so happy to have the axles flipped and I can't tell you how much easier it was to mount the solar without the A/C up there.

jdenver those panels look huge. Would you mind telling me what size and voltage they are. I'm sure it may be in an older post but I haven't figured out how to search someone's history yet. Thanks

They are Navajo 250w Poly, 39x64, off the top of my head 37 Voc. I bought them new last year. They are being installed in series to save time but will eventually be switched to parallel. Today I built the battery box/ bench for the three 8-D's. Tomorrow I finish the roof work, install the inverter and hang the controller before the surgery Monday.