I *finally* get it: Reflectix or foil need an air gap

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JeriLynn said:
When I clicked on link the language was not in English. I am in Japan sometimes ads are in Japanese but not blogs. Hmmmm?

That's just weird! I wrote it in English. I don't have any transliteration/translation plugins. Running on Blogger, so maybe it's a Google thing?

Almost There said:
Thank you for sharing this!!! so much has been said on insulation online for camper vans and everyone seems to say something different. This is what I had heard in one video that made sense, but wondered how people created the air gap. I thought bubble wrap was perfect but had not seen it. I will do this for my van when I get one, as I am only in planning phase until money comes around.

Thank you!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Matlock - I respectfully but adamantly disagree with your opinion that Reflectix is a waste of time and money. Also that it has it's use only in wood frame buildings.

To make such a statement is to discredit not only the product but to also do the readers here a disservice.

Reflectix, when used for what it is intended and properly installed IS a valuable product. It is used in a wide variety of building types.

I chose to use reflectix for it's radiant hear barrier properties. As such it works, and works well, for its' intended purpose. I neither wanted nor needed insulation. Had I wanted a high value of  insulation I would have chosen another product, probably poliso!

To Train Chaser:

I spent a considerable amount of time reading here:

http://www.reflectixinc.com/

before choosing to use Reflectix in my van conversion. I read until I had a fairly good understanding of what the product could and could not do for me and also how it worked. I also read a lot of arguments for and against using the product but found that most in use failures were caused by blatant installation errors.

Since the website does not include instructions on how to install the product in a mobile application, I had to figure out how to achieve that on my own. The main things to be learned are that reflectix must have *DEAD air space* on the side of the radiant heating to be effective and it has limited R value depending on the installation.

I purchased the 48" wide roll of Reflectix because the measurement from floor to lengthwise structure beam on the van was approximately the same. I ended up having to use 5/8" bubble wrap because that was all I could obtain. A thicker one would have been slightly better but I wasn't able to find a source for it here in Canada. It was also only 24" wide. With the fiberglass high top a 100' roll was sufficient.

I cut each panel to just slightly oversize to fit between each rib and running from the top cross beam to the floor. Once the panel was trimmed to fit properly I laid it out with the outer side up (outer side being the side that would be closest to the van wall when installed). I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to attach the bubble wrap to the reflectix panel, trimming away the excess after the glue set.

I did each panel and then installed it one at a time working my way around the van. You can see some of the pictures of the work in my build thread

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Building-Arabella

To create a dear air space, *very important* I used aluminum tape, taping completely around the panel including taping it to the floor of the van. Using long pieces on the straight areas and as small as necessary pieces on the curves, overlapping by at least an inch at every seam.

I also cut pieces to fit the windows and use them for blocking light in parking lots with excess security lighting and on very hot days to block the suns' heat when I'm parked.

I only got the body of the van done last year before heading out so this year the doors will get the same treatment.

Yes, there are spots that didn't get covered. The ribs for example. I wasn't aiming for 100%. I figured 95% reduction in radiant heating would be good enough and so far, I'm happy. No I don't live where the temps get to 100F by 10 AM. That's why I have wheels.... :D

If I had a box truck or conex where I could spare an inch or more of empty airspace all 'round, I might consider it.

I think IRL that would be so rare as to make the "useless" generalization true 99.9% of the time.