I did it!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxGypsy

Reaction score
I did it and it works!!!!!!&nbsp; This is my very first 'real' solar panel.&nbsp; I have solar charged devices, but not an actual solar panel.&nbsp; I bought a kit off of ebay.&nbsp; I've always been intimidated by the different terms used for solar.&nbsp; Wiring is the same as 'regular' wiring except the wire is stranded instead of solid.&nbsp; I just followed the diagram.&nbsp; <br><br>There was already a hole through the floor of my van for a water line under the bed, near my auxiliary battery, so I ran the 2 wires from battery to the charge controller, then the 2 long wires from the charge controller...out through the water line hole and over to my new 100 watt solar panel.&nbsp; I'm able to park in the shade and place my panel out in the sun.&nbsp; It also came with a display that shows the power in the batter and the power being generated by the solar panel.&nbsp; <br><br>When I'm ready to move, I simply disconnect the solar panel, wind up the wires and store them under the bed with the battery and re-plug the hole.&nbsp; I'm going to experiment with the 1 deep cycle battery that I have currently for a while and then I am going to get 2 batteries with a larger capacity that are made for solar.&nbsp; My boondocking possibilities have really opened up now!&nbsp; Oh joy!&nbsp; No more RV parks...yippee!<br><br>If I'd known it was going to be this easy, I'd have done it years ago!<br><br>

I have a 100 watt Instapak and love it too.&nbsp; Congrats on your newer freedom.

Congratulations!&nbsp; I'm dragging my feet for the fear of what I don't know as well.&nbsp; Glad you&nbsp;made it over the hump and with ease to boot.&nbsp; Gives me hope!<br><br>&nbsp; What's the size of your solar panel?&nbsp; Is it a folding model?&nbsp; How much does it weigh?&nbsp;

It's a regular 100 watt solar panel, so it doesn't fold.&nbsp; It's almost 4 foot tall by slightly over 2 foot wide.&nbsp; Weighs 25 pounds.&nbsp; If I'm traveling without the cargo trailer, I can just slide it in the back door of my camper van, otherwise it will be traveling in the trailer strapped to a wall.<br><br>I looked at the folding panels, but they are twice as much for the same wattage.&nbsp; My kit came with the 100 watt 12 volt solar panel, a 20 amp charge controller, a volts/amps display, 40ft of 10 gauge cable, MC4 connectors and Z mounting brackets for $220 with free delivery.&nbsp; It's hard to beat a deal like that.

Was it used?&nbsp; If not, what is the company you bought from?&nbsp;

It is new.&nbsp; I haven't posted a link to the listing because I am having some issues with the seller.&nbsp; After much argument he has finally quit arguing with me and is hopefully sending the parts overnight.&nbsp; I had asked if he would exchange the mounting brackets for 2 more pairs of connectors and he agreed.&nbsp; When I received the kit it was short a pair of connectors.&nbsp; I've lost count of the emails we've sent back and forth where he kept saying it was in there and I just hadn't found it.&nbsp; I assured him that I was not and idiot and had checked the packaging thoroughly before contacting him.&nbsp; Anyhow it boiled down to...oh ok...you wanted 2 of them.&nbsp; I resent the original email verifying that yes, I had asked for 2.&nbsp; Very irritating.&nbsp; However, he did ship it promptly and it arrived in good condition.&nbsp; So with that being said...here is the link.<br><br>http://www.ebay.com/itm/310673494631?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&amp;_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649<br><br><br><br>

LOL...of course now that I have this awesome solar panel the monsoon rains move in so that I don't have any sun!<br><br>I did want to post an update on the seller.&nbsp; He did overnight me the extra connectors.&nbsp; Though I had offered to pay for postage since I needed them overnighted to me, he didn't charge me for the postage.&nbsp; So I have no complaints about this seller.&nbsp; Having been a seller on ebay I understand that not everyone in the world is a competent and careful person and you have to ask them many stupid questions at times.....it just irritates me when I have to go through that as a buyer.&nbsp; So I am overall pretty happy with the product and would buy from them again.

Latest posts