I am very new

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvborn

Reaction score
I am studying hard - need lots of advice - hope someone will answer me -I was born during the end of the great depression - I remember my mother getting some kind of stamps and standing in line for sugar - my parents waited 8 years to have children because of such a bad state of affairs -  my dad built a small trailer with a very large dresser - the bottom drawer was our crib - I was born in 1938 - by now you know I am 81 - I am not up to speed on the electronic world - not a surprise- At 81 I wish to join all of you in travels next summer - I am still in good health and drive in Dallas, Tx currently - have driven LA no one honks or waves at me everyone says my driving is fine - my mind is sharp what do you think about me joining - I am consumed with this life I believe a full size van would be best - please give me advice. Rvborn

Welcome Rvborn to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I am sure with your life experiences you could teach us a thing or two. come on out to Arizona in January we would love to meet you.

highdesertranger

Welcome to the forums, age is only a number, not how you actually feel. You may want to consider the possibility of being to stand upright in whatever rig you choose, it really helps in getting dressed/cooking/keeping from getting clausterphobic.

thank you for your replies I needed acceptance more than anything - I do not feel my age and people are surprised when I tell them - I still say when I get old I will -----------I am looking for a van - my son can put on high top if needed - I plan to do at least part of build - I am like the lady that bought a completed build I know what I want and need - I was raised before all was so convenient - radio - only - what is that - where everyone gathered when their favorite show was on - I use show without much thought - nothing to see - boy listening was great, I plan to be on the road by next summer- please continue to support me - I am so excited.          RVBORN

RV born congrats on living that long! No small feat in itself! Do you know where you want to go? There are some caravans you can join that travel here and there or you can pull into Quartzsite where a jillion other RVers are for the winter.

If you need meds be sure to get a passport so you can go in and out of Mexico as it’s only a couple hours away.

There’s a lot to do in Quartzsite over the winter with all kinds of fun activities that may interest you.

Sounds like you have plenty of fun years ahead of you and loads of great stories to tell! My grandmother lived to 100 and was still actively traveling until her late 90s. Looking forward to hearing about all stages of your adventures!

@rvborn

Welcome, and my mother, who was raised in Heath and Forney, Texas passed this March at 95, went camping with me until 88 when a leaking heart valve restricted her movemnets, but we still took her surf fishing in Galveston for a couple of years. She was born in 1924, and I have a picture of her mother at age 12, picking cotton outside of Wise, Texas. You follow your dream rvborn, and I think I can speak for others here, we've got your back. I'm in Houston, by the way, not far, so if you need help you to be sure and call on me. I still have relations all around the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

I am too new to all of this to give you any advice on the physical nomading side of this, but I've worked with the "aging" all of my adult life, and I can tell you unequivocally that AGE IS ONLY A NUMBER.

I've worked with people in their 30s and 40s who are unable to function in society, and people in their 90s who leave me in the dust!!

As long as YOU feel safe and have a financial cushion to cover emergencies, I don't see any reason whatsoever why you shouldn't do just exactly what makes you happy and tell the naysayers "Thank you for your advice, I'll send you a postcard!" !!!

I wish you ALL the best -- You are so inspiring to me!
Brandy

I do a lot of cycling. There are quite of few guys in their late 80s cycling 30 miles a day and going on week long trips of 500 miles. My grandpa would spot young guys 15 points when playing horseshoes. He still kicked their butt in his late 80s. I have sisters who are only in their 40s and 50s who can not walk two miles or bicycle 5 miles. If you can drive, you are ready to roll. Have fun

I don't care how old someone is if they can manage the life then they can live it.

I feel so much better -you are so reassuring - when I found your website very recently I was amazed - the more I read the more I wanted to join you - I had not seen posts of anyone my age - I have been widowed since 2004 - I am very self reliant - I sold my home at 80 said no more roofs - lawns - repairs -I am in an apartment = far too much " stuff " lol where do you start with that - I sew -embroidery - crochet - will volunteer to help my fellow nomads any way I can - I am a born volunteer - accounting nut love paperwork - I also make dog clothes - I plan on a big van best for me I think, will bring sewing machine hope I will be able to help others - Thank each of YOU - you are so kind and thoughtful.       RVBORN

rvborn said:
far too much " stuff " lol where do you start with that - I sew -embroidery - crochet - - I also make dog clothes - will bring sewing machine       RVBORN
Those activities are ones that quite a few members enjoy. I am sure you could start a conversation in the Hobbies area of the forum and get a lot of great ideas about how to store and organize those materials and ways to create a desk/table to work at. At any age you will need seating that gives you good support and also a place to sit where your body can relax the muscles. Of course good lighting is also critical. So do plan your work space with as much attention as you would pay to an area for cooking, sleeping, bathing, etc.

Croquet ... who remembers the game of Croquet?

Sorry, crochet was mentioned, and my feeble old mind clicked on one of my favorite old games! We used to set it up as large as we could make it, so it's was a serious challenge. That might make it an interesting challenge in Arizona, New Mexico, or Nevada deserts. Lots of traps and pitfalls. Not unlike a poor man's golf.

^^^^^ Let's see you pound those wire hoops into the desert pavement !!!!!! ………………

At ""Downtown"" La Posa North LTVA...…..Donnie and Patti host a weekly game of "Golf"...…….they Putt in the washes

…………..and THURSDAY is Karaoke/Potluck nite at Downtown

Cajunwolf said:
Croquet ... who remembers the game of Croquet?

My grandparents kept a quarter acre - half was the house and garden, the other half just empty.
Growing up, in the winter Grandad pulled an inner tube with his John Deere for us, and in the summer we played croquet. 
Hahaha I hadn't thought of that in years! My dad always won, anyway!

@LivingOurPeace

Croquet was one of my favorites and pretty popular. I wonder what happened to it because when set up on a 4x to 8x course, it's quite challanging. We never used the "proper stance" swinging from between your legs unless going through the double hoops to hit the stake. Typically it was like hitting a golf ball with a driver when your next hoop is 40 plus yards away.

We used to play golf too, but after a couple broken windows, we had to use our baseball bats and balls. You'd hit it like playing golf until you made the hole keeping tabs on swings. Our course spanned the whole neighborhood, and we changed it up at will.

When a new kid moved in, there were all of those big cool boxes to make fort's out of, and the large wardrove ones were the best. You could cut them into squares, run and jump on them and slide for a yard or two; we didn't have hills down on the coast.

Nowadays, kids walk around in designer clothes, $300 Chinese made tennis shoes and totally occupied by a hand-held device smarter than they are, but they're bored.

Maybe it's just my grandparents' influence, but I can't imagine a world in which I asked for ANYTHING that would cost them that kind of money and getting anything but laughter or a lecture on "stretching a dollar" in response. Not to mention, if you said "I'm bored" in my house, you got put to work!!! If I didn't have my nose buried in a book (this is still my default pose), then there was no end to the things we could do if we put our mind to it!

Technology has made society in general lazy, in my view. And BORING!!! Who wants to sit around and watch people look at their phones?!
I can't wait to get outta here! LOLOL

Latest posts