I am ready, the van is ready, but we are having a snow storm!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mermaid

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just signed up after stalking this site for a while now. :)

After watching many, many, many Youtube Videos and reading extremely helpful, informative blogs and posts etc., I decided to do a 4 months trial run. I rented a Dodge Grand Caravan (they won't rent out larger vans around here unfortunately and camper vans are ridiculously expensive to rent, so are vans like the GMC Savannah or similar ). Anyway - I figured, for the beginning and for trying this lifestyle, a mini van would be just fine. I installed reflectix, a curtain, a bed, got bins and stove and portable loo - the "rig" is ready to go! I am MORE than ready to go!

The only problem is: I am in Canada (southern Ontario). We are right now having a major winter storm that also covered NY in a thick white snow blanket. (14 F, feeling like -8 F).
(Adding: sadly I can't go south and do the snowbird thing quite yet. I will have to work with the Canadian weather...)

I am expecting temperatures for the next 4 weeks to be in the 30s during the day and the 20s at night. By mid to late April probably 40s (30s at night).

The van may be larger than a car, but I am having a hard time to fit a Heater inside. I dont have batteries/solar as it's not my car and the initial investment is too much for just 4 months. 

I bought the smallest Mr. Budyy but had to return it. It was too high and not stable enough. Now I am looking at the next larger size. The model is not as high and looks much sturdier, but it still needs 30" clearance to the top (ceiling of the van). 
I just measured. The best place to put the heater is on top of my kitchen utensil bin. The heater would have enough space to the sides and front, but there would be only 10" to spare at the top.

Now, I am not planning on running the heater longer than 15 min at a time. Especially in the morning before peeling out of the sleeping bag. 

Do you think I will set the rental van on fire by doing this? Leave scorch marks? Or will I be fine and warm enough and I shouldn't worry too much? (I am really good at worrying...)

Or should I just use my 2 burner camp stove to warm up the van quickly in the morning? It would have to go on the same kitchen utensil bin, it would have about 15-18" clearing to the ceiling. But I am not sure if it produces enough heat to actually warm the air. 

Obviously in all cases I would keep windows open for ventilation. 

What is a greenhorn to do??

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

Safe travels
:heart:

Sorry about your weather :( The top is the most important clearance and really heats up. Personally I think 10" is way too close. Hope your weather breaks soon.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Mermaid! What a good way to try out van living! Hope the weather clears up soon.
I think you should try heating with your stove. It doesn't take a lot to heat a small space and the clearance for the Mr Buddy isn't enough to be safe.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks so much rvwandering and BobBski!!

Yes, I am glad you confirmed my thought that 10" is just too close to run the buddy heater safely.

I will practice this weekend with the stove and if need be, invest in a cheap hotel/motel while it's still freezing. Right now, I need to get out of the city, on the road, see some new places and just give it a try. Maybe the stove is even enough! Coffee and warmth - 2 birds, 1 stone. :)

Thank you and I look forward to many more tips and tricks I can learn from everyone!

Hello and welcome!

Very hearty of you to give it a go in this weather!! Maybe until you get your hater stuff sorted out you could heat up some water and use a couple of hot water bottles to keep your core warm.

How exciting! Would love to follow your travels, so maybe a thread in the Capt's Logs folder? Enjoy!!

Queen said:
Hello and welcome!

Very hearty of you to give it a go in this weather!!  Maybe until you get your hater stuff sorted out you could heat up some water and use a couple of hot water bottles to keep your core warm.

Thanks Queen!! I am quite surprised myself that I would give up the luxuries of my home so easily. I suppose when it feels right, it may just be right. we'll see  ;)

Yes most definitely hot water bottles. I "practiced" in the last week when it was milder (just above freezing at night) and I was quite warm and toasty in my sleeping bag. My small dog works like a mini heater too inside the sleeping bag. 

Oh and sleeping with my down vest or down jacket in the sleeping bag makes a huge difference in the morning! Getting up and putting something warm on is much much better!

AbuelaLoca said:
How exciting! Would love to follow your travels, so maybe a thread in the Capt's Logs folder? Enjoy!!

Thank you AbuelaLoca!

Yes, I am quite excited. In fact a bit anxious and panicky LOL but I believe once I am on the road it will quiet down. I hadn't even ventured so far as to look into the Log folder... will have a read and am happy to post if anything interesting actually happens LOL Other than "-5 last night. Freezing. More snow. Over and out"  :D

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

I have an earlier Mr Buddy 4000/9000 btu heater, and even in my high top extended Ford Van in cold weather
the 4000 is a bit much.  I'm not insulated, there are only windows in the front end and in the back doors. 

51hn34J5TnL._SY355_.jpg

What  "I" wish...........is these things were set up like the "Warm Morning" gas heating units for houses. Where they cycle on and off automatically. 

101_0110.jpg

For a small Van it may not take 3000 btu's if it ran with on and off cycles to provide steady
heat.   The newer Mr Buddy's have oxygen sensor/shut off's.  I guess one could put a monoxide sensor in the Van for the extra margin of safety.

eDJ_ said:
Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

I have an earlier Mr Buddy 4000/9000 btu heater, and even in my high top extended Ford Van in cold weather
the 4000 is a bit much.  I'm not insulated, there are only windows in the front end and in the back doors. 

51hn34J5TnL._SY355_.jpg

What  "I" wish...........is these things were set up like the "Warm Morning" gas heating units for houses. Where they cycle on and off automatically. 

101_0110.jpg

For a small Van it may not take 3000 btu's if it ran with on and off cycles to provide steady
heat.   The newer Mr Buddy's have oxygen sensor/shut off's.  I guess one could put a monoxide sensor in the Van for the extra margin of safety.

Thank you!! 

Yes I assume the buddy heater is a bit of an overkill for a dodge grand caravan - especially since I am only "sampling" the van life  for 4 months. (for now!) Then again, 2 of those months will be cold (freezing at night) and that can be a looong time when you're cold.

The venting I believe won't be such a problem. The rear side windows open nicely to allow some airflow. I am more worried about the size of the heater and potentially scorching something in the vicinity of the heater (the ceiling or sleeping bag) because it has so much power. 

Since the grand caravan is quite stealthy (apart from the reflectix-lined windows) my current plan is to sleep in the car as long as it's 30 F or above. If it's 20-30 F I will look for a garage/underground parking to stay in. And if it's below 20F and I can't manage I'll spring for a motel/hotel. 

Since my travel plans keep me in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia for the next 4 months, it will be cool/cold, but most of the route will be somewhat close to larger towns and cities with garages/underground parking. I am going into more rural areas starting mid May, which is when temperatures should also cooperate more. 

Oh so much to think about... :)

Mermaid, can you put the heater on the floor while running it? I bought that same Portable Buddy model and planned to put it on the floor to run, then put it up when finished. (In a minivan). Not good?

Spring is coming, it is, it is!!

Welcome! I've slept in my truck with topper down to 30 or so, really wasn't too bad...until you gotta get out lol

Im in central NY (southeast corner of lake ontario). We got the blanket, sheets and pillow cases on this one. Cars are buried and my f350 plowed through it fine. My 8ft bed is almost full of snow. Not really a place Id want to live out of my vehicle. Best of luck to you!

Mermaid said:
Hi Mermaid, I'm a nubie, so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.  We'll see how it works out when I hit "post reply."  I saw a video by a lady who said to use 3 blankets to say warm:  nylon next to your skin, then fleece, then wool.  Made sense.  I'm in snowy Ohio so I feel ya, Sistah. 

Thank you!! 

Yes I assume the buddy heater is a bit of an overkill for a dodge grand caravan - especially since I am only "sampling" the van life  for 4 months. (for now!) Then again, 2 of those months will be cold (freezing at night) and that can be a looong time when you're cold.

The venting I believe won't be such a problem. The rear side windows open nicely to allow some airflow. I am more worried about the size of the heater and potentially scorching something in the vicinity of the heater (the ceiling or sleeping bag) because it has so much power. 

Since the grand caravan is quite stealthy (apart from the reflectix-lined windows) my current plan is to sleep in the car as long as it's 30 F or above. If it's 20-30 F I will look for a garage/underground parking to stay in. And if it's below 20F and I can't manage I'll spring for a motel/hotel. 

Since my travel plans keep me in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia for the next 4 months, it will be cool/cold, but most of the route will be somewhat close to larger towns and cities with garages/underground parking. I am going into more rural areas starting mid May, which is when temperatures should also cooperate more. 

Oh so much to think about... :)

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Hi Mermaid, I'm a nubie, so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.  We'll see how it works out when I hit "post reply."  I saw a video by a lady who said to use 3 blankets to say warm:  nylon next to your skin, then fleece, then wool.  No cotton, which gets damp.  Made sense.  I'm in snowy Ohio so I feel ya, Sistah.  (Hey, sorry, I posted this wrong a few minutes ago, & it looks like you sent this message to yourself. :blush: )  Stay warm.[/font]

Your thread make me think of a funny I saw today...

Before the huge snowstorm, place full cans of beer randomly around your driveway, that way shoveling your drive after the storm will be a treasure hunt!

:p

I use 2 doubled up sleeping bags and am toasty down to the teens without the heater on.
I wear longies and a fleece jacket/cap and gloves when it gets too cold.