I am new to the site, instrested in buying a moterhome.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prigge

Reaction score
I am looking at a [size=large]1997 Ford FourWinds - $11500.I have some formation [/size]
[font=Arial, sans-serif][size=medium][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=x-small][img=256x256]https://map3.craigslist.org/t09/13/...ap5.craigslist.org/t09/13/1890/2985.png[/img]

https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/rvs/6736284406.html#https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/rvs/6736284406.html#https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/rvs/6736284406.html#

[/font][/size][/font][/size]
I am thinking about buying this motorhome, I would appreciate some feedback as to if it is a good starter for a newbie.

[size=undefined]
[font=Arial, sans-serif][size=small]1997 Ford Four Winds [/font][/size]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]fuel: [size=small]gas 
transmission: [size=small]automatic[/size] [/font][/size][/size]

[size=large]Runs good, looks good 1997 Class C RV, many updates include newer tires, new air conditioner, transmission, newer mattress, carpet, toilet. Has generator, microwave, oven, sleeps 7. Power step at door, great storage closets, Non-smoking price reduced 11,500[/size]

Look for any signs of water damage (uneven fiberglass exterior / delamination, interior wood or ceiling stains, anything that looks warped). It will be hard to find any Class C of that age that does not have any of these, but you'll want to know the extent and if it has been addressed immediately and properly resealed. Also, after you do your own initial inspection (and sniff tests everywhere - your nose might be better than your eyes finding water damage ;), let a professional RV inspector as well as a truck mechanic look it over (sometimes you'll find a person that is qualified doing both), because they'll let you know what you're facing in terms of repairs and needed maintenance before you plunk down the money (or give you information to negotiate the price accordingly). An RV like that can be a good deal for the right price, but at that age there absolutely will be things that will need to be addressed!

That seems a bit pricey for a 21 year old class C. Maybe if it is really nice, and well taken care of with no problems. 1997 5.4L Ford V8s had problems with stripped spark plug holes, and cam phasers clicking loudly....not sure about any V10 problems.

I agree, it is rather pricey for a 20+ yr old "entry level" class C. Also find out how old the fridge is. I know some can last a lot longer but 5 years old or older can be problem.

Welcome prigge to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

It is hard to tell from the CL ad but it appears there is delamination below the rear drivers side window down thru the stripe. It could be a reflexion but it sure looks like a bubble to me. Any delamination should be avoided at a premium price.

I think that’s too much for that year but you should look it up on the RV bluebook

That's pricey for a motor home that old.

I've seen nicer ones than that for half the price. if you want the good stuff you have to keep going back and checking twice a day. And when it gets posted be ready to jump, the good deals and nice equipment gets snagged pretty quick!! That one has been posted for 30 days, there is something not right about it.
I am on the Mpls/St. Paul craigslist a lot. If it's been posted for more than 3 or 4 Hrs it's probably gone if it's a good buy! There was a suburban that popped up yesterday, it had a hightop and was converted. it didn't make it 3 hrs. and the truck was gone and the post deleted. Be patient and check it a lot and you will get rewarded. Motorhomes are tougher because there aren't as many of them. I maybe see a good one once a week or longer but there was a beauty on there for 5000 last week.
People don't even see the good ones because they are gone quick!!!

On the left side of the rvs page mark the by owner only and posted today so you dont't have to keep looking at the same vehicles, Good Luck! Welcome to the tribe!

Wanted to post something big, didn't work... 404 error... I think the board is broken! I'll try to post in several smaller chunks...

I missed the URL and just took a look at the photos - there is definitely de-lamination present on the driver side in the back under the bedroom window!

As I said, this is very common in 20+ year old Class Cs and not necessarily a total no-go, but you would want to know why it de-laminated (could be "as benign" as bad glue used by the manufacturer to the more likely "water damage" into the wall caused by failing seals and seams), what the extend of the damage is (is the wood underneath rotting, is there a danger of total structural failure, is there mold etc.) and if the cause has been addressed (resealed).