I’m new and have so much to learn

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sangie

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Laura. I’m looking to do van life part time at least.  Will be going to WRTR and RTR this year. I have lots of questions about electrical and solar, this is all new to me.  Hoping to meet lots of great folks.

Welcome Laura to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Welcome Laura, pull up a chair. I guess if you go to RTR this year you'll know more about vandwelling than I do... I've never been and am not going this year... enjoy your experience!!

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :)

There aren't many questions that you can't find answers for on this site.
Part timing is a great way to get into this.

How about telling us a bit more, like what vehicle you have now or plan to use and what your outlook on the future is? What you think you will need etc. You will get plenty of input and advice here.

Mike R

I like reading the “How To Articles” across the top and I wish there was a link to the start of Bob’s Blog. If there is a link to start I keep missing it.

If there are any state/county/city camping areas around you, park your vehicle and walk around. You will see lots of large expensive RVs with people living inside just like at home. But there will be others with more modest setups and you can gather ideas for possible future use.

Get a small butane or propane single burner, old sauce pan, unbreakable coffee mug, jug of water, etc. and sit at a park picnic table and have some lunch. Learn how to make things work but also look around. What do you want.

Sorry, I’ve been distracted and just getting back to this.

I have a 2004 Chevy Express that has been built out by someone else so I’m not really sure how all of it works. It has a Fiberine top, I was told it was reinforced for solar but don’t know how to verify. I would love to have solar added.

It has a Truck fridge that seems to run even though it’s unplugged, I have to remove the fuse to turn it completely off. I will be attending the WRTR and the RTR and not sure if I can run the fridge. I don’t know how long it will run before depleting the batteries.

Anyone one have opinions on which would be better for me, gas generator or solar panels. I’m thinking the suitcase panels from Renogy.

Thanks for any help.