Hydraulic empires and diabetic cooking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotSmart

Reaction score
akrvbob said:
We are heading toward getting this thread closed. No more on the evil corporations or arguing about agriculture. Those posts will be deleted.
Bob

OK, the title is clickbait, but my brain is working on how to discuss this without getting the political side going.

Things just started to get interesting to me in the rat race thread.  Rather than get that thread shut down, here is a place for the
 ag part of the discussion.  Make me think PLEASE!

WITHOUT discussing evil corporations, (To political)  and the politics of water allotments, (obvious) It would be interesting on hearing views  on why people are choosing certain food groups over others.  

For example. 

While traveling North from Ehrenberg I saw tribal lands growing short alfalfa using ditch water from the Colorado River.  This is fed exclusively to animals to produce meat.  It takes 106 + gallons of water to produce 1 ounce of beef. It takes less than 1 gallon to produce 1 ounce of tomato.  (A burger, fries and a beer = 1,000 gallons of water to produce. +/- ) 

http://graphics.latimes.com/food-water-footprint/

Does this factor into your food choices?  

What about health.  Since my blood sugars are going crazy, I am looking for different alternatives for meals.  How to do as little damage to the planet and still enjoy what I eat.  

I love my meat.  I also love almost all fruits and vegies.

If anyone has diabetic healthy recipes to share I would love them.

Glad I avoided that thread.   Hate getting kicked in the nads.
I am borderline Type 2 Diabetic.  I love the "bad stuff".  So I have learned to substitute more good things for the bad.  Brown rice replaces white.  Sweet potatoes replace white taters.  More greens and beans.  I drastically cut processed sugars.  I try to avoid other bad things too - MSG, canola oil, soy products.  Not always easy as they hide in many foods.  More simple "basics" replacing fast food and over-processed foods.  Cut out all candy and sweets, though sometimes a small treat can be done with moderation.
It goes beyond simple "diet", it requires a change in eating habits.
There is a lot of info online.

You have to change what you are used to and change what you like to eat. Somethings you can't change like a good burger or pizza so do them in moderation.

John

GotSmart, get the Bernstein book: he figured out how to fix his diabetes when he was an engineer, then went to medical school for his second career. Eventually medical establishment has begrudgingly adopted many of his concepts.
http://www.diabetes-book.com/

I also know someone with diabetes who has used Doug Kaufmann's anti-fungal diet:
http://www.knowthecause.com/index.php/get-started

Since fungus feeds on carbs (this is why beer is made from starches, not fats or sides of beef), Kaufmann's diet is also fairly low carb, which you need.

Konaexpress said:
You have to change what you are used to and change what you like to eat. Somethings you can't change like a good burger or pizza so do them in moderation.

John
I can have a burger, but not the bun or the fries.  (Double Double, animal and protein style!)  :cool:
I wonder how much water goes into producing a pizza?   :huh:

I have been following the West Coast weather, and almost every storage is full, including Lake Shasta.    :D

Anyway, Chicken is one of the best ways to get healthy protein meat, so I had better get the freezer so I do not have to keep surviving on cans. 

I ve been searching for diabetic recipes, but everyone wants to sell me a $30 cookbook!   :dodgy:

I'm trying the Low Carb variation championed by Dr. Sarah Hallberg

Man o Man I thought u had a link to show some of those cool hydraulic bouncing/ hopper cars....phooey!!

The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture aka county extension agency should have  all kinds of recipes for diabetics, growing food, food preservation etc.
if you're 62 or over and mid to low income they have grant money to make a home  "accessible", to correct/repair things that may be a health or safety issue. & low interest loans. 
 Google recipes.Splenda.com   & www.alliancehealth.com/Diabetic Recipes.
 I have Medicare A, B, & D....... It paid for me to have a consultation with a Licensed Nutritionist at a local hospital and I asked for recipes.

This is a recipe from a mag at my dr.'s
Use italian salad dressing as a marinade..I use reg Zesty, u can use low fat or regular......This is good for fish filets.......chicken breasts.....chick. strips..leg quarters etc.

just put meat in zip lock bag and soak with the Italian salad dressing.....seal the bag.....put bag in bowl & ...leave it a couple hrs or over night in frig....squish it round some once in a while...DON'T SQUISH THE FISH!!!.  

Then in a bowl big enough to not make a big fracking mess out of it put instant potato flakes...the cheap ones are fine NOT POTATO BUDS

flakes+few table spoons flour+few shakes of paprika and garlic powder...sometimes i add dry Italian seasonings.....just season to suit you......mix it all up and take the chicken out one piece at a time and roll in potatoes patting them on to the chicken.... :s......unless u r a total screw up u can't screw this up....lightly drizzle melted butter/  olive oil/  veggie oil  over the meat.[PICK ONE!!]

use PAM or just lightly oil pans before using bake in shallow pan  uncovered in pre heated 350 degrees oven until fish is flakey...or chicken is intern. temp. 165........This is good without the potato flakes too

NO POT. FLAKES= cover pan with foil..& add a little water. BEFORE PLACING IN OVEN.......dang i shouldn't  of watched so much "Galloping Gourmet"back in the day :p 

I did not  include the amounts of meat or seasonings or instant potato flakes because this is not rocket surgery   :huh:    It just depends on the amount you want to make at one time and your tastes for seasonings.

AND ANOTHER THING........salsa  I like  the chunky kind...if u don't like salsa... stewed tomatoes or seasoned diced tomatoes r good too
I always cook rice so I use plenty of salsa or tomatoes on the chicken and then use the tomato "gravy" on the rice
 u can cook xtra chpd onions...bell peppers. celery...whatever.with the chicken. this recipe  too is one that's hard to intercourse up.
you can cook this in a pan on top of the stove or in the oven or wrapped in heavy foil on cookie sheet on a grill........Just pour salsa over chicken parts & roll them around a little bit to cover....put on a lid or cover with foil ..and cook 'til internal temp is 165 or juices run clear when heaviest part of chicken piece is cut.  

And to think poor little Queenie and I had fried weinie samwhiches for supper now that's fracked up big time!

boney appetite'   TJB & QUEENIE

An important consideration too, is other health concerns you may have.  For instance, the list of "good" foods for my diabetic condition is different than the list for my being on a blood thinner.  If on Warfarin/Coumadin and having to receive weekly/biweekly sticks and testing to maintain the correct PT/INR level, certain foods will increase or decrease that level.   So, now we have conflicting food choices.
If you have gluten sensitivity/Ciliac Disease, this throws another spanner into the works.

I had to do some heavy study early on to know which foods to utterly avoid, which to go easy on and eat in moderation, and which were 'safe' for all conditions.

Luckily I am not gluten sensitive, but a good friend is.  I think I am better off with my dietary restrictions than with his.
Diabetic menu booklets are available in grocery stores (published by Prevention Magazine), where you find other good reading, like the Southern Living and National Inquisitor magazines, at the checkout counters.
Also, do a Google search for diabetic diet and recipes - much is out there online for free.

Tater flakes.  Surprisingly low carb.   :idea:

I will have to try that tonight.  We have plenty of chicken...  Now that spring is here, I can renew my spices.  My kids have decimated my supply.   I will also look into a low carb ap for my phone.

I grew up in the California car culture, and just do not understand the desire to ruin a perfectly good classic, first by destroying the handling, and then beating it to death by bouncing.  :huh:

LeeRevell said:
An important consideration too, is other health concerns you may have.  For instance, the list of "good" foods for my diabetic condition is different than the list for my being on a blood thinner.  If on Warfarin/Coumadin and having to receive weekly/biweekly sticks and testing to maintain the correct PT/INR level, certain foods will increase or decrease that level.   So, now we have conflicting food choices.
If you have gluten sensitivity/Ciliac Disease, this throws another spanner into the works.

I had to do some heavy study early on to know which foods to utterly avoid, which to go easy on and eat in moderation, and which were 'safe' for all conditions.

Luckily I am not gluten sensitive, but a good friend is.  I think I am better off with my dietary restrictions than with his.
Diabetic menu booklets are available in grocery stores (published by Prevention Magazine), where you find other good reading, like the Southern Living and National Inquisitor magazines, at the checkout counters.
Also, do a Google search for diabetic diet and recipes - much is out there online for free.

I have found that almost every place that claims to have diabetic recipes is selling a book.  Most of those are plagiarized from Good Housekeeping.  What I need is something I can download and have on my laptop.  HMMM.

GotSmart said:
I can have a burger, but not the bun or the fries.  (Double Double, animal and protein style!)  :cool:
I wonder how much water goes into producing a pizza?   :huh:

I have been following the West Coast weather, and almost every storage is full, including Lake Shasta.    :D

Anyway, Chicken is one of the best ways to get healthy protein meat, so I had better get the freezer so I do not have to keep surviving on cans. 

I ve been searching for diabetic recipes, but everyone wants to sell me a $30 cookbook!   :dodgy:

As of this point in time Lake Shasta is at 86% of capacity.  That is 646,006 AF short of full. Not a trivial amount of water.  California unfortunately is not yet out of the drought.

Source:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/resapp/getResGraphsMain.action

Water: Surface water is not as critical as artesian. In the Texas area, they are pumping out so much water for cities and industry that ranch wells are failing. You can watch the depletion of the aquifer by looking at the years the ranches are closing.

Diabetes: If you want to cure your Diabetes rather than just manage it, you need to ignore the 'official' info. Bernstein is the pioneer. All of the others that are showing success are pushing low carb. Dr. Hallberg is advocating low carb in the realm of Paleo diets where you are going into ketosis and burning fat instead of sugar/carbs. Her take on Diabetes is that, if you are not Type 1 Insulin deficient, your version is more properly called Carb sensitivity/Insulin Resistance. So to reset your body, you need to lower the carbs drastically so that your insulin sensitivity is corrected. Her dietary recommendations are High Fat/Moderate Protein/Low Carb, with a strong emphasis on Whole Foods rather than substitutions or processed foods. She also addresses Metabolic Syndrome with her diet/lifestyle, since Diabetes is so often the crown jewel of that condition (I've got Metabolic Syndrome myself - High Blood pressure, Bad Cholesterol, Insulin resistance/High blood sugar) She has some really good guidelines

TL;DR - Dr. Hallberg's site has some good guidelines on what foods to eat and what not to eat. Many existing recipes can be used unchanged or by dropping the carb and substituting a vegetable. Some recipes get you started and links to other Paleo blogs with more recipes. You'll have to gather the recipes yourself if you don't want to buy the cookbooks they sell. I've got several folders full of good stuff that I save to PDF. If you are on a smartphone, most of the blogs you can go to their recipe section and search for the main ingredient you have on hand and see what they have available.

Gluten sensitivity: I've been Gluten intolerant for several decades now. Developed it in my late 30s. Last year I was reading some Paleo blogs and listening to some podcasts and there was a lot of discussion around probiotics to get your gut biota healthier. More and more studies are showing the amazing health benefits enjoyed by healthy non-Western Diet individuals whose gut bugs have a vastly different profile than Westerners. Some benefits from these 'missing' colonies include their production of nutrients we have to get from outside sources, like Folic acid, reduction of inflammation, fat mass and insulin resistance. The new probiotic regimens are intense, usually no more than a week, but maybe 6 to 12 capsules each day comprising trillions of colonies rather than the million or so in most probiotics to date. They also have a wider range of colonies than previously. I tried two different series last July - one from the UK, one from here - and after giving it a few months to settle I tested the deal by eating moderate amounts of wheat bread for a few weeks. Before the probiotics I'd have gotten only a few days in before I was so sensitized that I'd be on the toilet suffering from the cramping, brain fog, and other effects of my prior sensitivity.

Instead, no problems! Which was a problem because I started chowing down on gluten containing products I'd been denied for so long and my blood sugar shot through the roof! So, paradoxically, while I no longer have issues with Wheat or Gluten, I have to cut my carbs due to my Insulin resistance. I'm working on that and so far I've gotten through the first week or so when everything feels wonky. Blood sugar is back to a more normalish level and my carb cravings are diminishing.

29chico said:
As of this point in time Lake Shasta is at 86% of capacity.  That is 646,006 AF short of full. Not a trivial amount of water.  California unfortunately is not yet out of the  drought.

Source:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/resapp/getResGraphsMain.action

California has a 30 to 40 year water cycle. Most people forget that.  Shasta is at 110% of historical level, and more rain this weekend.  

As long as the ground water keeps being depleted, the surface water is only a band aid.  The central valley is sinking up to a foot a year.

http://www.capradio.org/articles/20...uare-miles-of-central-valley-land-is-sinking/

Firstly......I am so ignorant of apps....chrome & smart phones...first the cars were smart and now the phones?  SKYNET IS HERE!

On my mini laptop when i'm on the forums there is a ad bar related to things iv'e recently looked up at the top...today it was totalrecipesearch.com    for free recipes you can download.......it wanted me to click on an arrow for my "Chrome New Tab" to down load....My son has told me to quit down loading until i get.. a "MSB" {i hope that's right}....or i'm going to run out of bits?  bites?   :huh:   He also installed two different "anti virus" systems?....WHATEVER. :p 

Now what was the topic?  i remember !   diabetic recipes!!!   

I have between 200 to 300 cookbooks  some are diabetic...low fat....natural foods...healing foods ...gluten free,,,,and so on ........most bought used, many in like new condition, however it's the really old ones I search for.... most of them came from thrift stores and somewhere here unless i've passed it on is one for people on blood thinners   BOOKS ARE CHEAPER AT THRIFT STORES!   where I live one store is $5.00 for all you can put in a lg. brown grocery bag...at another it's 99cents for a plastic bag full i take my own sacks and double bag....Besides cookbooks i've recently found "HUMANURE"...."Stocking UP III" [ 2 copies} and a " Chilton's Manual" that covers my 1991 Ranger Pickup...buying by the bag full each cost less than 25cents.  I pass along what i don't keep to family, friends, donate to the library,  trade, sell, and give to neighbors.

I reckon i'm gonna get arrested for hijacking next thing... :huh: ..SORRY GOT SMART...I just got carried away... or is it they are coming to take me away.............................................................TJB

Tjaybird said:
Firstly......I am so ignorant of apps....chrome & smart phones...first the cars were smart and now the phones?  SKYNET IS HERE!

On my mini laptop when i'm on the forums there is a ad bar related to things iv'e recently looked up at the top...today it was totalrecipesearch.com    for free recipes you can download.......it wanted me to click on an arrow for my "Chrome New Tab" to down load....My son has told me to quit down loading until i get.. a "MSB" {i hope that's right}....or i'm going to run out of bits?  bites?   :huh:   He also installed two different "anti virus" systems?....WHATEVER. :p 

Now what was the topic?  i remember !   diabetic recipes!!!   

I have between 200 to 300 cookbooks  some are diabetic...low fat....natural foods...healing foods ...gluten free,,,,and so on ........most bought used, many in like new condition, however it's the really old ones I search for.... most of them came from thrift stores and somewhere here unless i've passed it on is one for people on blood thinners   BOOKS ARE CHEAPER AT THRIFT STORES!   where I live one store is $5.00 for all you can put in a lg. brown grocery bag...at another it's 99cents for a plastic bag full i take my own sacks and double bag....Besides cookbooks i've recently found "HUMANURE"...."Stocking UP III" [ 2 copies} and a " Chilton's Manual" that covers my 1991 Ranger Pickup...buying by the bag full each cost less than 25cents.  I pass along what i don't keep to family, friends, donate to the library,  trade, sell, and give to neighbors.

I reckon i'm gonna get arrested for hijacking next thing... :huh: ..SORRY GOT SMART...I just got carried away... or is it they are coming to take me away.............................................................TJB

Completely on topic   :D (Or close enough for this thread~~~ )

When I downsized, I sold and gave away about 150 cookbooks.  That is not counting the 200+ my ex wife took.  The oldest one I had was from 1859.  The fronteer woman's cookbook had diagrams on cleaning and preparing game, tanning hides, cooking everything  :dodgy:  :p  that was a part of an animal.   That one went to my sister for her library.  (Brain pudding) 

Modern methods and solutions to the problems caused by a modern diet are what is needed.  I firmly believe that this epidemic of diabetes is caused by the way food is produced.  Steroids in the meat, chemicals in the ground.  Additives to the processing.  

You might think about setting up an E~Store selling those gems.  They will not all fit in the back of the pickup.   ;)  I made enough selling my DVD's to build my van.  I am trying to set things up where I do not have to transport the weight.