Howdy from texas!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey y'all!

I've posted a little bit around here, but today was the day I finally got my van! I picked up a 2000 GMC Safari:

Pictures of the van!

On saturday, I'm actually headed out on a road trip from dallas to houston to austin to kerrville and back (10 day trip), so I don't have time to build it all out just yet, but it will definitely be a process. Right now I just ripped all the passenger seats out, laid down a rug to cover some of the remaining hardware, and started packing my gear for the trip.

I'm planning on building a platform for a mattress with storage underneath and a small desk area in the back, throwing on a roof rack, and maybe a couple other small things. I couchsurf a bunch, so I won't be full time in the van. But I will be in it for most of the summer.

I sell my leatherwork (here if you curious about that) and sell merch for a heavy metal band out of houston and do other random odd stuff. I've been vagabonding out of my truck since thanksgiving, and I am definitely looking forward to being a little bit more flexible and comfortable in the van.

Hey there Beastman....nice lookin' rig.
Way cool that you get to take a "shakedown cruise" right off.
Bet you'll lay awake nights thinking of all you can do to make it comfortable :)

I think a shakedown run is great to get an idea of what you do and don't want in a build, even if you do have some truck camping experience. Lots of folks really enjoy those vans.

Beastman, great looking van! I know many people who live in Astro/Safaris and really like them as homes. I'm sure you will be happy with it.

With your permission I could post your pictures here, or I could teach you how to.
Bob

akrvbob said:
Beastman, great looking van! I know many people who live in Astro/Safaris and really like them as homes. I'm sure you will be happy with it.

With your permission I could post your pictures here, or I could teach you how to.
Bob

oh im sure i could figure it out, but i already had the imgur album loaded. many thanks though!

and thanks all for the welcome so far...and yeah, ive got a bit more gear in it now...almost all packed up except my clothes, acoustic bass guitar, and homemade booze! all that goes in last.

im already trying to think of what i can get done TOMORROW before I go. If I lay down another layer of softish material, I'll be able to sleep on the floor pretty comfortably...or i might throw in an air mattress if i can make the storage situation efficient enough to fit one in.

Latest posts