How to Prevent Trailer Theft?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
I've just been watching some videos about how to secure your trailer from being stolen when you've unhitched it from your tow vehicle.

The videos seem to be split between hitch locks and wheel locks.  I know nothing is 100%, but what do you folks consider the best way to handle this problem?

When leaving my construction trailer on site I used to take a wheel off, chain the other side's two wheels together and put a hitch lock on it. I still know it wasn't theft proof but someone would have to spend a few minutes on it if they wanted it. In 7 years it was never stolen so either no one wanted to steal it or it was more work to steal than someone elses.

Now I think one of the best ways would be to take the coupler off the trailer, then there would be no way for them to tow it away.

TrainChaser said:
I've just been watching some videos about how to secure your trailer from being stolen when you've unhitched it from your tow vehicle.
Are we talking travel trailers, or cargo? Regardless, locked behind a gate and out of view in a fenced yard would be my first choice.
Cable and hitch locks are good too, but not guaranteed against a determined thief.

sec 1.jpgsec 2.jpgsec 3.jpg
[ATTACH=full said:
15390[/ATTACH] TrainChaser pid='326280' dateline='1504055614']I've just been watching some videos about how to secure your trailer from being stolen when you've unhitched it from your tow vehicle.

The videos seem to be split between hitch locks and wheel locks.  I know nothing is 100%, but what do you folks consider the best way to handle this problem?

For me i use[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] this lock [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]http://provenlocks.com/products[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]and this GPS [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]http://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/[/font]

plus when i am not using my trailer it's parked at my warehouse with video security and alarm

Attachments

• sec 1.jpg
    sec 1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 9
  • sec 2.jpg
    sec 2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 6
  • sec 3.jpg
    sec 3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 6
ERLH: Never thought about taking the wheel off. I guess the trick is to just make it so time-consuming that they'll go somewhere else.

Ballenexj: "Are we talking travel trailers, or cargo? Regardless, locked behind a gate and out of view in a fenced yard would be my first choice."

Either type -- I'm sure they're not particular, as they're probably reselling them. Not too many fences or gates on BLM land while you run to town to do the laundry and pick up some groceries.

I use a coupler ball lock, a coupler pin lock, and a locking motorcycle security cable passed thru a wheel and then thru the spring hangar and back to itself.

If I have a pole or large tree handy, I also use a long binder chain with a substantial padlock to secure it.

These only take a couple of minutes for me to install but it means a thief would have to bring along a handful of tools and spend several minutes making a fair amount of noise trying to steal it.

I have a travel trailer and will often pull the jack fuse thats needed the raise/lower the trailer. Trying to do this manually would be very inconvenient and attract attention. I also have the coupler lock as well as a bright orange Rhino Brand tire boot, same that is used on cars for tickets. You can see that a mile away. Havent used it yet.
LilNomad

I've used a tire boot like LilNomad.  Get a good sturdy one, two is better.

-- Spiff

TrainChaser said:
  Not too many fences or gates on BLM land while you run to town to do the laundry and pick up some groceries.

OK, I understand what you're doing now.
In that case I would try to team up with somebody and take turns going to town. That way there will always be somebody there to keep an eye on things at the camp.

I usually jack the trailer to level it and stay in one place at least 14 days so I take off wheels and tires and keep them locked up in the back of the truck.

Apparently, ANY of those locks can be easily cut by a battery powered tool with a diamond cutting blade.

I would also say a removable coupler, but a few people have told me that it could still be dragged using a chain.  I dunno.

Instead of removing the wheels, I've thought about just letting the air out of the tires and taking the inner valve stem with me.  What are the odds some thief will have a compressor AND new schrader valves?

Another idea would be to have the trailer wire modified so it has a plug on the trailer like on the vehicle.  Take the wire with you.  Driving down the road with no turn signals or brakes would attract the attention of any cop who sees it.

I do like the gps tracker.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Apparently, ANY of those locks can be easily cut by a battery powered tool with a diamond cutting blade.

Well now this means its a professional thief or ring of trailer snatchers....and yeah, if they think that trailer is worth it, they will take it no matter what you do.

But the main point is that we try to make it difficult, time consuming, and noisy for the normal run-of-the-mill thief that wants to take advantage of an un-protected trailer.

The glass windows on my van can be broken by anyone with a rock...but I still roll them up when I leave the van un-attended somewhere.

Same principle.

tx2sturgis said:
Well now this means its a professional thief or ring of trailer snatchers....and yeah, if they think that trailer is worth it, they will take it no matter what you do.

Like the old saying, a lock is only used to keep an honest person honest.
This has come up on a bike forum. No matter the lock, there is a way to defeat it. :dodgy:
The absolute best defense is having watchful neighbors.

tx2sturgis said:

A regular travel trailer isn't really valuable enough to attract professionals, I would think.  An exception might be something like Airstreams, which can be quite collectable and valuable.

Cargo trailers are a different story. They often contain thousands of dollars worth of tools, or expensive motorcycles, or other valuable items.  Plus even an empty cargo trailer can be sold for a few grand.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
A regular travel trailer isn't really valuable enough to attract professionals, I would think.  An exception might be something like Airstreams, which can be quite collectable and valuable.

Cargo trailers are a different story. They often contain thousands of dollars worth of tools, or expensive motorcycles, or other valuable items.  Plus even an empty cargo trailer can be sold for a few grand.

very true on the cargo trailer value 

one of the best things for cargo trailer is a custom paint job .... make it stand out
good luck having the police or anyone else spot a white cargo trailer ....

All good ideas. Here's another approach, file it under, "If I can't have it then neither can you".

Things you will need...

Grenade.
Length of wire.
Stake that won't pull out of the ground easily.
Really good strong ducktape.(the kind that will secure a grenade to the underside of a trailer)
Tarp(so you won't get your clothes dirty while under trailer).

See where I'm going here? Best plan eva? Possibly, but I might be missing something important. Who knows.

EDIT: For clarification, you booby trap trailer so if it drives away.

All of these suggestions have merit.

Unless you are parked out in the boonies away from everyone, your trailer locking/securing methods do not have to be bullet proof. They only have to be better than the ones used. Y the person parked near you. Thieves will take the "easy target." That should be the "other guy."

Just my opinion . . .

in the boonies I don't really worry. I also think if you are within 100 miles of a major city you are not in the boonies. if you are within 25 miles of an interstate or any multilane highway you are not in the boonies. for the most part thieves are not cruising the boonies looking for targets, to many people with guns and shovels. highdesertranger

Okay, thanks for all of the tips! Personally, I would prefer to have an ex-military sharpshooter in a tree nearby, but people seem to fuss about that.

As to not stealing travel trailers, yes they do, and with pets inside. And every other type of trailer that exists. OR WA State is the scumbag center of the country. *shrug* Which it may be.

If the hitch fails, ball comes off, the safety chains provide a safe tow.  If someone wants your trailer and they bring a chain, just a chain, they can loop the chain through the "A" frame twice, hook it to their hitch and drive off.  Braking will be hard on their back bumper.  Jacks don't need to be raised, just drive off.  All that's needed are wheels that are free to turn, at least one on each side.  Wheel locks and chains to objects are quickly defeated.  Totally missing wheels make it harder to steal.