How To Load Motorcycle in Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2TheStreet

Reaction score
Hey I just did a video on loading a motorcycle in a van the easy way. I just thought I would share  the video. This video is part of my video series on converting my chevy express 3500 cargo van to a camper/bug out van.

Attachments

• how to load motorcycle in van 2.jpg
    how to load motorcycle in van 2.jpg
    75.1 KB
Quick and easy! A bit more involved with a tall bike like my KLR650. But I generally do trailer it.
All those guys on the Youtube Bike Fail videos need to watch your video to learn the right way! :)

Well that answers my question, CycleCruza does know about CRVL. Been wondering about that since you started talking about bug out vehicles and vandwelling.
I should pick up some of the D rings for strapping crap down.

Amazing how many folks don't realize that the bike may very well high center when loading. WOW!

MikeRuth said:
Amazing how many folks don't realize that the bike may very well high center when loading. WOW!

Oh man that hurt!!

Some beautiful bikes going on there!

ha ha ha that was great mike ruth, I seen it happen on more than a few occasions. 2 the street looks like you have got it down. nice job. highdesertranger

LeeRevell said:
Quick and easy!   A bit more involved with a tall bike like my KLR650.  But I generally do trailer it.
All those guys on the Youtube Bike Fail videos need to watch your video to learn the right way!  :)

Yeah a dual sport's height can be a problem. I hear some people say this just let the air of the tires. I'm thinking about get a honda crf250l, has a lower seat height so it should fit in the van.

minimotos95 said:
Well that answers my question, CycleCruza does know about CRVL.  Been wondering about that since you started talking about bug out vehicles and vandwelling.
I should pick up some of the D rings for strapping crap down.

I've been viewing this forum for years. I've been planning on converting a cargo van to a bug out vehicle for a long time, just never found a great deal of a chevy express van until recently.

MikeRuth said:

That's why you should always measure a bike first. before loading.

2TheStreet said:
Yeah a dual sport's height can be a problem. I hear some people say this just let the air of the tires. I'm thinking about get a honda crf250l, has a lower seat height so it should fit in the van.

The seat height has no bearing on it.  It's the height of the windshield and mirrors mainly.  We generally remove them.  In rare cases, the handlebars need to be loosened and rotated down, and the front suspension can be compressed.  Also, the triple tree can be loosened to lower the front forks.
All of which is partly why I trailer mine.  Easier to load/unload, and carries more gear without taking up space in the van.  The riding/camping events I go to are usually in open fields making trailer use easy, rather than tight RV spaces.

2TheStreet said:
Hey I just did a video on loading a motorcycle in a van the easy way. I just thought I would share  the video. This video is part of my video series on converting my chevy express 3500 cargo van to a camper/bug out van.

Links to items listed in video:

Get Bi-fold Motorcycle Ramp here:  http://amzn.to/1KuvlCt

Get Motorcycle Wheel Chock here: http://amzn.to/1C0WGuI

Hey guys if you didn't know harbor freight has that locking chock, I got it for around 50 bucks with a 20 per cent off coupon , put it in my cargo trailer works great.

Part of the reason I love my cargo trailer, is I can drop the ramp and load my KLR with no fuss, no muss. And Lee, I've been known to ride my bike up the ramp numerous times. Of course it helps that the ramp is over 5 foot wide and a somewhat low angle, and I can go through the door sitting on the bike without ducking. It all depends upon what your setup is. I would never ride up a narrow ramp into a van. In fact, I use a second ramp when I load into the back of the pickup, just to walk on so I stay level with the bike and can control it better.

That's 390lb without fluids, closer to 425 with oil and gas. 100lbs for the carrier, that's 525lb if you don't have accessories like a full tool kit, bags, etc. bouncing up and down, side to side. Being a one ton the van should do fine with the tongue weight, provided you don't have too much weight inside the van.
Call me paranoid but personally for that big of bike I would want a class V hitch and additional supports from the vans frame to the carrier since trailer hitches are not designed for such a load. But there's a lot of people who carry loads just like this in class III and IV hitches without issue. Even lighter bikes can be pain to load on hitch carriers, I'm not sure why but many are set up so you are on the clutch side instead of the brake side of the bike when loading/unloading.

My plan is to build a bumper carrier, not for my KLR(~400lbs wet) but for whatever lighter and smaller bike I get next that way I am not relying on a hitch to take the full weight.
I considered doing a rear wheel down tow of my KLR, but tires are too expensive and removing the master link on the O ring chain is not easy.

My KLR is 5'8"ish tall at the wind shield no way is it fitting in any van aside from a sprinter/transit/promaster

I have a heavy duty moto carrier that someone gave me. It's steel and has a solid shank that goes into the receiver. I regularly haul my KLR on it with no problems. I haul it behind a 2500 series (3/4 ton) pickup so i would think it would be no problem even behind a 1 ton extended van. I would definitely load things like water etc... toward the front of the van to preserve good steering feel. I would also make sure it was at least a class IV receiver as even that will be at max capacity. I carry a ramp that is 5' 6'' with me for loading - a 7' ramp would be better even still. There's no way you'll lift that big a bike onto the carrier like the motocross guys do - their bikes weigh in at half the weight so they only have to lift 100 lbs per wheel - and most of them complain about the weight. I hope that helps.

Latest posts