How To Keep Pets Safe & Cool OTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerzeleidMeister

Reaction score
Hopefully we will be embarking on van life soon. In starting this process we would like to know how others keep their pets safe and cool while on the road. I think that sometimes we will have to leave them in the van when we grocery shop and what have you. How do you keep them from getting too hot?

Also what do you do with them when you go into Mexico for dental or medical stuff?

For info right now we have 4 cats & one dog. All are crate trained and the dog is leash trained and wears a harness (her handle I call it) 24/7/365.

Hi, I used a styrofoam ice chest modified - a small 12v fan (cut hole in lid for fan to blow down into) , cut another hole up fairly high on a side for a kinda short piece of duct (so the air can vent out thru the duct) & fill with ice. Works for Gypsy & I but don't leave them long (it will drain your battery, ice will melt in fairly short time, ppl WILL break in to "rescue" your pet if they see em & also alot of places don't allow leaving pet or kid in vehicle at all (so make sure they can't be seen & don't make noise) hope this gets you an idea.

As for long trip (Mexico, etc) best find a pet sitter IMO (ie, someone you've met & feel OK about leaving your furry kids with - maybe trade off if they around there crossing the border too)

I've heard about using an ice chest. Does that really keep it kinda cool? I had not thought about people "rescuing" our pets. *Sigh* We have a Jack Russell that barks at everything she hears. If a bird farts outside she barks at it. So keeping them quiet may not happen. :(

Some places will prosecute for leaving an animal in a vehicle for long periods, plenty citizens get more worked up over animals than they do about kids.

Unless the A/C is running, I doubt if "subtle" arguments as to how you've got everything figured out will carry much weight.

Maybe a full-time temp data logger showing it never got over 75° or something? Prolly not...

It keeps Gypsy & I cool for several hours in summer in TX, but I don't park in direct sunlight & you have to be up close to the vent

John61CT said:
Some places will prosecute for leaving an animal in a vehicle for long periods, plenty citizens get more worked up over animals than they do about kids.

Unless the A/C is running, I doubt if "subtle" arguments as to how you've got everything figured out will carry much weight.

Maybe a full-time temp data logger showing it never got over 75° or something? Prolly not...

I have started looking into something that would tell me via cell phone if the levels are too high or too low. As for places prosecuting, well I agree they should when its warranted. We may just actually look at doing things where one of us stays with the vehicle and the other goes inside somewhere if it would be a long stay inside. Not really sure what we will do yet because we like going out to eat and what have you.

fantym1 said:
It keeps Gypsy & I cool for several hours in summer in TX, but I don't park in direct sunlight & you have to be up close to the vent

Ok thanks for the info. :)

HerzeleidMeister said:
We may just actually look at doing things where one of us stays with the vehicle and the other goes inside somewhere if it would be a long stay inside. Not really sure what we will do yet because we like going out to eat and what have you.

Some friends of ours do just this.  One stays with the dog while the other one eats, grocery shops, etc.

Please NEVER EVER leave your pet(s) in a vehicle once the weather starts to turn (as in NOW)...they can die a painful death rather quickly and Arizona WILL PROSECUTE if this happens...Not worth losing your fur baby over just because you are now (or soon will be) living mobile and "want" to go over the border (or anywhere in AZ) when it's too hot. Best to leave a responsible human to babysit so they can monitor the A/C. I have 5 dogs and a cat. I'm not on the road yet but you can be sure (I live in AZ for 40 yrs now) that this is one mistake I hope NEVER to make. My animals are all seniors and I love them dearly as I am sure most here do as well. So just a word to the wise...

I don't remember implying I was going to leave them in a hot vehicle. The entire reason I started the thread was to find way not to do that. I would never leave my babies in a hot vehicle without AC, ever.

I park in the shade and leave my truck running with the AC on. I have remote start so it's convenient for that, but it will only run for 20 min then shut off automatically. I rarely need more than 20 min. If I do I use my extra key and keep the truck running for as long as needed and am still able to lock all the doors. I'm still in a stick and bricks but my dog goes everywhere I go.

Unfortunately I had a friend that was putting groceries in her house and realized she had left the dog in the car. It was only ten minutes but the dog was dead. So sad for her. She was devastated.

Back to the topic...

I chase weather. If temps start getting in the 70s consistently then I move up in elevation. I also put up Reflectix and drop down the blackout curtains.

Is boarding pets at a local vet an option? I will have an appointment in Las Vegas area in June or July. Not the ideal, I don't want to be in that area at that time, but I need to make alternate arrangements for the cats.

Boarding pets is good. Some friends just boarded their dog so they could take a day trip into Mexico.

waldenbound said:
Is boarding pets at a local vet an option? I will have an appointment in Las Vegas area in June or July. Not the ideal, I don't want to be in that area at that time, but I need to make alternate arrangements for the cats.

I used to have to board my dog in random kennels when I was doing art/craft shows that didn't allow him to be on site.

I developed a rather extensive check list of what to look out for when I was having to find kennels on the road. Do some serious thinking and make up your own list of what is important to you in a kennel. Things like - will they feed him his own food if I supply it How often do the dogs get to go outside. Do they, or will they take your dog for a leashed walk, Do they have a play yard for the dogs if that's important to you. Is there overnight staff on premises   - I never used vet boarding for this reason...no one on site 24/7 but that was important to me.

First off, I showed up first thing (9ish) in the morning with no appointment or advance notice. If they didn't want to let me walk through the kennel area they got an immediate strike from the list. Then I went through the rest of my list.

I still occasionally ended up with the dog in less than ideal circumstances - one stands out clearly even after all these years. It met all my specs really well but when I arrived to pick up the dog I was told he wasn't welcome back because he barked too much!

Then, I heard the owners husband out in the kennels yelling at the dogs to 'shut the f' up' and beating on the kennel roofs with something!

Yep, my dog barked too much - there was a reason. Needless to say, I spent days mortified and making it up to my dog.

With cats, your list is obviously going to be different but it's a start on how to find a good kennel for them. The other alternative, if it's just a single day appointment is to rent a motel room, put the cats in there, hang the 'do no disturb' sign and do the appointment.

Almost There said:
With cats, your list is obviously going to be different but it's a start on how to find a good kennel for them. The other alternative, if it's just a single day appointment is to rent a motel room, put the cats in there, hang the 'do no disturb' sign and do the appointment.

Yeah, I've thought of that too, about an hour after I asked about boarding. I think when the appointment comes, just get a motel room, and shove them in it. Yes, "do not disturb." The reality of 100+ degree temps is definitely setting in.
After that though, it's the eastern Sierras for me! Woot woot!

I have a small dog. I can carry her on my back in a dog back-pack. This works for grocery and other shopping. For rest-room stops and restaurants, I put her in an enclosed (breathable) dog-carrier that I can sling on my shoulder, and set on the floor when I am eating. It is black and unless she whimpers, most people don't even notice. If the owner should kick me out, but she is so well behaved that they avoid conflict and let it go. I leave, but I have usually ordered my food by then and done what I need to do. If for some reason she starts barking (which so far has never happened, I respect the space and take her out (same as I would take a crying baby out of a social event). She weighs 19 pounds, so it can get heavy. The carrier fits in the shopping cart of a grocery store. To save my shoulder when there is no cart, I am thinking of getting a dog stroller, which completely encloses her and makes her an obvious no-threat to any establishment, . It didn't fit when I was Prius-camping, but I am upgrading to a van soon and will see if it fits in the "garage". I definitely save money by not being able to conveniently eat at fancier restaurants. Weather permitting, some restaurants find it ok for me to have her with me in her carrier if we are sitting outside. She doesn't smell, but I guess that's a fear...of uncleanliness around food.

HerzeleidMeister said:
I don't remember implying I was going to leave them in a hot vehicle. The entire reason I started the thread was to find way not to do that. I would never leave my babies in a hot vehicle without AC, ever.

i'm sorry, didn't mean to imply...just letting anyone that ventures to AZ or CA and wants to go to Mexico in hot months that it's a real bad idea.  you would not believe the things that go on in AZ during hot months with kids & animals...some ppl are "!" ... I'll leave it at that :)

suzanne said:
I have a small dog.  I can carry her on my back in a dog back-pack.  This works for grocery and other shopping.  For rest-room stops and restaurants, I put her in an enclosed (breathable) dog-carrier that I can sling on my shoulder, and set on the floor when I am eating.  It is black and unless she whimpers, most people don't even notice. 
[quote pid='379012' dateline='1521983523']
Not being snarky but as someone allergic to dog dander, you bringing your dog into the store if I'm there can cause an anaphylactic reaction which could kill me. Please, unless your dog is a service animal or psychiatrist-certified emotional support animal, don't take them into public places like grocery stores, restaurants, or libraries. It can cause severe and life-threatening reactions for those with allergies. Thank you.
[/quote]

I know people will hate me for this and it sounds cruel, but ... this is normal life. People have and are around pets. Some of them are even service pets.

Human society is simply not at the state at which we can exclude pets -- and all their ordinary odors, hairs, chemicals, etc. -- from ordinary, daily interactions.

It almost certainly never will be.

I do not want it to be.

Okay, hate me now and ban me.

I'm sorry. I truly am.

I simply don't believe we can make the world safe for you ... or anyone, ever.

If we follow along this logic, we will all eventually be encased in our own bubbles, isolated from all the world and terrified of each other. Everyone will be enemy, if not monster. I don't want to sound glib, so I will stop and ignore the implications.

This world cannot be made perfect for you. Or anyone. Or even safe.

Latest posts