how to insure 1ton van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike7300

Reaction score
Anyone have trouble insuring a 1 ton cargo van? My insurance co. won't insure because I am not commercial user. Anyone have this problem? Have checked with 4 companies and hear the same story. 3/4 ton is ok with them. Found a great deal on 1 ton and don't want to lose it. Any suggestions would be great. thanks!!!

What state? Is it titled or registered as a commercial vehicle?

I had no issues in NJ and NV with my used 1 ton E350 SuperDuty. Licensed just like a car. Purchased used (previously was leased for commercial use) in NJ and used AAA insurance. Here in NV I use Farmers.

States can be weird. One state may register personally owned pickup trucks as cars and in another state as trucks. The same may apply with cargo vans.

bullfrog said:
What state?  Is it titled or registered as a commercial vehicle?
GV

GVW 10001-14000 lbs. class 3. Insurance is $1700- $2200 depending on where you go. Double of class 2 which is 6000- 1000 lbs. I won't pay that much so I'm looking for a different van.

I have a 3500 express insuranced in Florida no problem but it just insurance as van and not a camper van

I had issues getting insurance for my step van even though I registered it as an RV with the DMV. I lucked out and was able to get it covered as a "custom classic truck" through Hagerty since it's a '78 and I covered it for $15k, about what I will have into it.

I also had issues getting RV insurance because nobody wanted to insure a "home built" RV, and I guess I could understand why. But covering it as a custom classic truck covers it for value.