how to force battery bank to equalize

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:
OK I see,  I think.

But equalizing as per mfg protocols in itself might not require high amps,  but does require 100 Full batteries as a starting point.

And very specific voltages,  measuring amps accurately,  etc

Not something IMO to do in the field, requires a good adjustable power supply running on grid shore power.

Obviously do whatever kludgy attempts to resuscitate a failing batt, but that's not equalizing.

And IMO no one getting off the beaten track should be letting a batt get to that point.  As soon as possible after learning a batt has gotten well below 80% State of Health,  scrap and replace it.

And use your better tools and greater knowledge to maintain an test your banks,  not only to keep them healthy as long as possible but to ensure you never get any more "surprises" in that area.

Yes , I agree .  This has been a learning experience.  What I find surprising is that this pair of batteries was brand new about 5 weeks ago!  

At this point, "whatever kludgy attempts to resuscitate a failing batt," is part of the learning process.  A procedure I hope (and will work toward) never needing to do again.  

Thanks, John,

Pat

Wow, hope they're not dead-dead.

Why we tell new people don't spend a lot on top-quality batts, the first (couple) banks are for learning :cool:
John61CT said:
Best while you're still learning, and haven't yet built up the required infrastructure, to stick to inexpensive but good quality FLA golf car batts like Duracell/Deka.

Hope their ok in the end.  Lets hack that Chevy Volt pack, and let you power the neighbors as well.    LOL

Pat has my Meanwell adjustable power supply and instructions for when he needs it. He will be running it off of his generator. Otherwise the trucks solar system would have no issues charging and equalizing.

Hey Jim, 

Did you say to keep using this charger till the amps hit zero?  Right now it's about 1.5 , been running for about 3 hours now.

pnolans said:
Right now it's about 1.5 , been running for about 3 hours now.

What voltage is making it 1.5 amps?  

Lacking specific Duracell information it is fair to look at trojanbattery.com for guidance.  They recommend  14.82 to charge and 16.2 volts to equalize.

The meanwell was set to 14.4v and it can easily be adjusted higher. I agree to go to the manufacturer because I am only use to my Lifelines. I forgot it is different with FLA.

Are you going to be around for Thanksgiving Pat?

jimindenver said:
The meanwell was set to 14.4v and it can easily be adjusted higher. I agree to go to the manufacturer because I am only use to my Lifelines. I forgot it is different with FLA.

Are you going to be around for Thanksgiving Pat?

I'm pretty sure you invited me over for T'day and I'm pretty sure I said yes,
so that's a big 10-4, good buddy.

cool I am glad. I knew I may have but I am old and can't remember chit.

jimindenver said:
cool I am glad. I knew I may have but I am old and can't remember chit.

Not sure I remember what it is.  Oh, yeah, that's what I'm ... never mind.