How to Find a Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myway_1

Reaction score
I am looking for a 2004 - 2010 Chevy / GMC  3500 extended passenger van with less than 150,000 miles for $5,000 - 13,000 depending on age.

I live in SE Florida.

I have used Autotrader and Craigslist and have only turned up a handful in the entire state of Florida that meet these parameters. Many have higher mileage or cost more or are newer. What other sources should I be using?

Thanks.

autotrader.com, cars.com, ebay, kbb.com

Be willing to travel.

What has already been stated as well as carguru.com, auto apps for your phone, FB groups, and patience. It'll turn up.

You can also save money while you are looking in case you find the perfect van just out of your price range

I was in the same boat a month ago. Was reviewing a lot of selling websites, mainly Craiglist and Cargurus.
I was going crazy with that search and started with cargo vans and realized they are actually more expensive than passenger vans (strange isn't it?).
Finally bought my 2006 Chevy Express 3500 (passenger, not extended) with 115K miles.
I would say straight - it wasn't easy for me, and I still feel like I didn't get best deal (freaking California!). But for the first van that I feel like it's fine. Next van I'll buy in another state for sure :)

Just curious: Why extended, just because of more space? Isn't it harder to maneuver?
Good luck!

myway1 i see em on ebay all the time,,,but you are going to have to travel

DeemounUS said:
...Just curious: Why extended, just because of more space? Isn't it harder to maneuver?
Good luck!

Because of more space. It would be a bit harder to maneuver. I am limiting to Chevy/GMC because they have a longer wheelbase which means less chance of dragging the rear (less overhang past the rear wheels)

I lived in North Carolina and searched NC, SC, VA, WV, MD, GA, FL, AL and TN. The narrower your parameters, the wider you need to search.

One of my problems is that I don't own a vehicle and can't borrow one. My son could take me locally, but for me to travel more than 100 miles, I would have to rent a car.

Would it be feasible for me to go to an established, reputable used car lot or used commercial vehicle lot, tell them what I want and let them get it for me? I know I wouldn't get a deal that way, but I am willing to pay retail.

In your circumstances, I'd try it ^^^^

Try a small owner run car lot rather than a larger name brand dealer.

The other choice is to buy a POS car that you can use to get around in, knowing that you're going to take a hit on it when you find the van you want.

Be prepared to wait, it took a lot of us up to 6 months or more to find our 'dream' van.

Travel includes flights, in many cases cheaper than the drive back with your new baby.

And/or rent a car by the day.

Even a couple such trips is probably a lot less money than the markup your dealer would make, buying privately with a good mechanic checking it out first is IMO the only way to go.

Or wait locally for it to come to you.

I've found a lot of smaller used auto lots that advertise some of their vehicles on Craigslist. Bookmark the site(s) and check the site(s) in addition to Craigslist.