How to connect Big Buddy heater to RV's propane supply?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt H

Reaction score
Hopefully this is the correct place to post this.

I have a Class A motorhome and am thinking about adding a Big Buddy heater, as I think that would be more efficient than the onboard furnace. (Living in and not being able to leave Idaho in the winter means I need heat if I want to take the RV out, which I do.) However, I would like to be able to connect it to the RV's existing propane supply, perhaps using a quick connect hose as part of the setup, allowing me to store the heater when it is not in use/not needed.

I know the Olympian Wave heaters can be plumbed to connect to an RV's onboard propane system, but has anyone done so with a Big Buddy heater? (The cost difference is the reason I am considering the Big Buddy over the Olympian.) Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

The Big Buddy includes a quick disconnect fitting on the right side next to one of the 1 lb tank screw in fittings.  Just need the correct hose, available via Amazon.  I own two of the Big Buddies.  Good heaters, very versatile with three heat settings.

If you use the quick connect it goes into the propane system after the regulator so it is low pressure and NOT high pressure. If you do that it's easy to tap into the RVs system and you do NOT need a filter.

This is the hose they Mr. Heater sells for the Big Buddy that comes with it's own regulator and quick connect. If you use it, you don't need a filter as it is a low pressure system.
http://amzn.to/1H7zsGa

I think if you took the Big Buddy into any propane place, they could make you a hose like this but without the regulator but with a standard 3/8 end (is that the standard size?). Whatever the standard size is they could make it and then all you need is a T off the RVs line and screw it in.

I hope that made sense, I rarely work with RV systems so I don't know the specifics, but I do know what I described would work.
Bob

I take it, then, that regulator on the RV's propane tank itself does not change it to low pressure? I was thinking I could someone 'T' off the interior line before or after it connects to, say the refrigerator, and run the hose out underneath the fridge to the heater itself. But it sounds as if the propane at that point (without the hose Bob describes) would still be high pressure, is that correct?

All of the RV systems I have had used 3/8" flare fittings.

I am also thinking about a Big Buddy heater and connecting it to the low pressure RV appliance lines. I'm removing the non functional RV furnace and using the line that was feeding it. I will also be getting the Buddy hose to connect to a 20# propane tank to use it outside.

To clarify what you are saying Bob, the Big Buddy quick connect input is already low pressure , so the regulator is in the heater , not the hose ?
I'm assuming since it will run on the 1# cylinders that the heater itself is not low pressure .....?
I talked to the associates at Lowes and , well basically clueless beyond price.
(They did carry the Buddy filters there for anyone looking for that.)

all the propane lines on a RV are low pressure. I am not familiar with the Mr. Buddy. but just by reading this thread it looks like there is both a high pressure(disposable bottle) and a low pressure (quick connect hose) input on the Buddy. I have seen a quick connect for a buddy in a motor home but I didn't ask about it. so I know it can be done, just got to get your pressure right. highdesertranger

Popeye, ya got that backwards.
The Big Buddy has 2 regulators built in that the 1 pounders screw into.
The heater itself uses the low pressure from the output of these regulators.
The quick connect does NOT have a regulator and therefore has to be fed from a low pressure source.

DO NOT FEED THE QUICK CONNECT FROM AN UNREGULATED SOURCE

(HDR beat me to the punch)

highdesertranger said:
all the propane lines on a RV are low pressure.  I am not familiar with the Mr. Buddy.  but just by reading this thread it looks like there is both a high pressure(disposable bottle)  and a low pressure (quick connect hose) input on the Buddy.  I have seen a quick connect for a buddy in a motor home but I didn't ask about it.  so I know it can be done,  just got to get your pressure right.  highdesertranger
So I would be good to tie into the line feeding the refrigerator with the Big Buddy? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here.

The refrigerator is also low pressure and you could tie in there.  The only thing I might worry about is gas volume at the low pressure.  Someone else may be able to tell you if you can run the heater and the fridge at the same time.  A pipe of a given size and pressure can only carry so many BTU's.

The last house we built, I wanted a gas outlet by the outside fireplace to hook a portable generator too.  We do live in a hurricane area :(  The plumber wanted to know how many BTU's the generator used so he could size the pipe to run it and the fireplace (gas logs) at the same time.

Walt, I'm assuming by these questions you are going to have this work done by someone other than yourself.

You will want a 'TEE' installed in the line with a 3/8 MALE FLARE connection.
Buy the Mr. Heater Hose No. F271802 which includes a quick
disconnect fitting and a 3/8” female flare fitting. I believe it is a 12 foot hose in length.

Make sure that this TEE is in an accessible location so that after it's installed it can be tested for leaks with soapy water.

Hope that helps.

I am currently working on the same project you are describing. Bob's assertion that a filter is not needed is great news. I have a hose tee'd in to the fridge supply line with a 1/4 turn shutoff. I have been trying to find the right fitting to press the button on the inlet side of the filter but if the filter is not needed i can use the straight through 1/4 npt to 1" 20 throw away tank adapter.
I will try this in the morning and report back.
I didn't realize that gas volume to the fridge might be an issue also so i'll turn the fridge on and run them simultaniously to see if the fridge goes to fault.
Fingers crossed for good outcome.

highdesertranger said:
 I am not familiar with the Mr. Buddy.  but just by reading this thread it looks like there is both a high pressure(disposable bottle)  and a low pressure (quick connect hose) input on the Buddy.  

I should have taken the time to write it all out. Yes, HDR has it right the Big Buddy has two separate inputs and two separate systems, that's why there is confusion.

1) Where the green bottles screw in is high pressure. You can connect an adapter hose here and if you do you MUST use a filter.
2) At the quick connect on the side it is low pressure and needs to have a regulator at the bottle. It does NOT need a filter. The easiest way to connect to the RV propane system is a T after the regulator.

Thanks Johhny B for find the hose he needs! Get it from Amazon here:
http://amzn.to/1ltTyAu

Bob

Guess nixing my filter is out. I'm using a single brick model which has no quick connect, only single bottle attachment. Geesh these things are confusing 😯

The nice thing is that mr buddy makes every adapter you could need. It's just a matter of finding the right combination. For apprentices like me it just takes more than one try sometimes.

johnny b said:
Walt, I'm assuming by these questions you are going to have this work done by someone other than yourself.

You will want a 'TEE' installed in the line with a 3/8 MALE FLARE connection.
Buy the Mr. Heater Hose No. F271802 which includes a quick
disconnect fitting and a 3/8” female flare fitting. I believe it is a 12 foot hose in length.

Make sure that this TEE is in an accessible location so that after it's installed it can be tested for leaks with soapy water.

Hope that helps.

In all likelihood, I would have the 'TEE' installed by someone else. My plan, if feasible, would be to have it installed underneath the refrigerator with the hose end that connects to the heater coming out through the the access panel/ventilation area when the heater is in use and simply being stored underneath in that area when not in use. Right now, I'm simply looking for the best place to connect without doing too much drilling, cutting, stapling, or mutilating of the RV. Thanks for the input.

Walt
In our last camper we installed an Olympian catalytic 18000btu. I tee'd into the stove supply line and ran the hose inside the cupboard and mounted the heater to the end of the counter. It worked like a champ and we didn't have any issues with running the stove while the heater was on.
Our "new" camper is much smaller so we are going to use the buddy like you. I thinks it's mostly a matter of finding the best place to put it so you aren't tripping over it or worrying about burning something.

Sabatical said:
Walt
In our last camper we installed an Olympian catalytic 18000btu. I tee'd into the stove supply line and ran the hose inside the cupboard and mounted the heater to the end of the counter. It worked like a champ and we didn't have any issues with running the stove while the heater was on.
Our "new" camper is much smaller so we are going to use the buddy like you. I thinks it's mostly a matter of finding the best place to put it so you aren't tripping over it or worrying about burning something.

There is a removable panel below our refrigerator, which is why I'm thinking to 'tee' into the supply there, especially as I don't want to permanently mount the heater, simply have a place to connect it for those times when we want or need some heat and do not want to run the inefficient furnace. Since I haven't bought any particular heater as yet (have to talk to and convince the boss), I suppose all options are on the table.