How to clean FILTHY travel trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is how to get through it. Put on your gear meaning old clothes and get the gloves, respirator, goggles ready. Now put some rocking music tunes in your ears. Set a loud timer for 15 or 20 minutes or have a clock where you can see it. Just go for it tackling the absolute worst job first and make it to the timer mark. Literally take a breather outside of the rig and do some stretches, drink a beverage...beer is OK. Set you timer and go at it again tackling the worst job first. Rinse and repeat. Try to get in 3 sessions the first day. Up the count the second day and third if you can. By that time the worst of it will be done. But no one day has to be a long day of it unless you have gotten yourself into a groove and want to do a long day just to get it done and over with.

Post a sign on the door of the rig to serve as your mantra....no pain equals no gain. I wish all these kinds of things were easy pleasures but everyday of my build means experiencing physical pain. It makes for very much shorter work days than when I was younger but I am getting there. Lots of things in life are like this and I am sure you have done your share of them and you have the ability to get through more of them because there is a payoff at the end of the pain.

Don't make a decision about getting rid of anything until you have cleaned them up and deodorized them. A little labor will save you a lot of money if you can make them work for you.

as a side note one of those white dust mask is not a respirator. they are for dust not airborne nasty's like hantavirus or desert fever. please use a proper respirator and know how to fit it properly. highdesertranger

UPDATE:

After months of being away from this trailer, I have come back and am living in it.

what I did:

I hauled all of the trash and garbage out myself.  After 3 trips to the dump, it was mostly empty.  I paid someone to come in and clean it.  This lady cleans RV's here in the RV park.  It was an incredible bargain.  She's going to be on my Christmas list from here on out!  

So, I've been living in here for about 3 weeks.  It already feels like home!  Everything works, so far.  

It took a while to get it ready, but the wait was worth it!

wanderin.pat said:
. . . the fridge works very well indeed.  As does almost everything else.  

Wowee!! Good for you! Glad it worked out.

You did it the way I would. Pay someone else to do what they know how to do and they can do it a lot quicker.