How to choose a minivan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kex02611

Reaction score
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Hello all,
I was super excited to start the van dwelling adventure but have slowed down in the last few weeks, even though I kept researching. I’ve decided to start with a minivan, because I intend to travel a lot in the first year of having it and don’t want to spend as much on gas as with a larger cargo or other van. And also, it would allow for minmial conversion which I could test drive and see if it’s for me. If I decide to ditch it, I can resell as a minivan without having invested too much inside. If I decide to upgrade to a larger van, I can resell and do that too.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I’m wondering if other minivan folks can provide insight or guidance into choosing and buying a van at this point. I was set on Dodge Grand Caravan and I went to check out a few, but then started considering Toyota Sienna (and maybe Honda Odyssey) as well. Although they are pricier, they have interesting features. Siennas have AWD option, and 2nd row windows that roll down (I would feel claustrophobic in a Dodge and not able to open the middle windows and only small opening on the rear windows!). What should I be looking out for?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I’m also wondering how strict should I be with years that were rated as being more problematic? For example the 2007 Siennas have more problems than other years (according to carcomplaints.com). Should I avoid years like that altogether or is it worth checking how well it was maintained and getting one inspected to make sure?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]More than anything I want a reliable vehicle, even if it means a bit of a higher investment initially. This will be my actual home for a while![/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks!![/font]

Low mileage Honda Sienna tops for reliability and mpg but **really** hold their value, double-edged sword that. Super stealthy in soccer-mom territory if left vanilla, even downtown NYC or San Fran.

But very tight on space.

For domestic Chevy GMC safe to buy even 150K, knowledgeable wrenchers and cheap parts anywhere, much cheaper than foreign can get **crazy** ex-gov or fleet auction deals, often well maintained.

And Express lots more room, Astra in between (AWD!)

But may have that sketchy-white-van down by the river vibe if trying for dense residential stealth, more for commercial areas.

Having had a Plymouth Grand Voyageur, a Dodge Grand Caravan and both GMC Safari/Chev Astro I would be choosing the Safari/Astro hands down.

Head room. inside space, reliability. etc. etc.

Of course this does mean going back to at least 2005 since that was the last year of production... :(

I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan that is mostly converted. I lived in it for almost a year with the Stow-N-Go seats folded down into the floor. There was plenty of space. I put a board on top of tubs along the passenger side to make a bed. Then I put a plastic drawer unit on the driver's side with some more tubs. Of course, I was urban boondocking with access to daily showers, so that meant I didn't need to cook, bath, or poop in the van. 

Now, I am building it out to live in "for real." I took out the Stow-N-Go seats entirely. Took out the interior panels on the driver's side in the back, and built a cabinet with a fold-down desktop. There is not a ton of space in there. I will get pictures uploaded tonight and post a link to my build thread here.

You can get Grand Caravans with roll-down middle windows. But you gotta look around. Remember, the Chrysler Town and Country is just a fancy version of a Grand Caravan, with some better amenities. You might look at one of those.

Honda made one called the Odyssey. Pretty reliable. Because they have been around for years price is OK.

An All Wheel Drive 1991 - 1997 Toyota Previa are usually under two grand... Add new tires and you have a reliable Toyota Van.
The model with the middle bench seat that folds open flat and lines up with the third row seats gives you an instant, lumpy, bed. (They also offer four captains chairs) They are huge on the inside but only take up Camry sized parking. With the third row stowed up against the wall and the middle seat removed it will allow you to place the 4x8 sheet of plywood on the floor.

This is a budget friendly option to get you into a van. The all wheel drive model says " AllTrac" on the driver's and front passenger door. The other option is a rear wheel drive. Rear wheel drive vans get stuck easily.

The front wheel drive Honda Odyssey and the other front wheel drive mini vans don't get stuck in the snow like rear wheel drive vans do. The transmissions don't hold up well in the Honda Oddysee or the Dodge Caravans. The V6 Toyota vans are not as reliable as the four cylender Previa.

(Chevy makes an all wheel drive full size van.). "My first choice" when you need a full size van.

The Previa doesn't hold up in frontal crashes, the best choice for a Previa is the 1991 and 1992 models without the steering wheel airbag. Front end crashes have been known to make the steering wheel column move in odd directions and the airbag can cause serious injury!

I've owned my 2.4 liter 4 cylander, rear wheel drive 1991 Toyota Previa for five years and I love it! 26 mpg from Seattle to Tulsa in July.

Good luck with your search, car buying is no fun!
(Waves)
JamesAdam

I can't provide any tips regarding which minivan is the best. However, I have been living out of my KIA Sedona minivan with 2 small dogs. Pros of course is the gas mileage and the ease of maneuver. Cons are that I can't stand up in it (I'm only 5'2") AND keep stepping on the dogs, which in turn makes them step into their water bowl. But I love having 8 windows (except when it's super hot or super cold out).

I finally caved and got a Roadtrek. Still have the minivan which I use when going on short excursions or visiting friends/families. I had to take the middle seats out to convert the minivan into a living space. The KIA Sedona doesn't have a basement to store the seats. So, my seats were at a friend's house whose property flooded a coupled of years ago, and off went the seats into the Mississippi river.

Latest posts