How the heck do you find a good van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citytravelfotos

Reaction score
And I say this after looking for vans for a few months already.<br /><br />If it's not bad paint, its a rusty eastern van.<br />If it doesn't have an oil leak, it's been sitting out for years without much use (and thus have possible deterioration from not being used much).<br />If it's not possible evidence of being in an undocumented accident (or has a salvage title), it is possible undocumented flood exposure.<br /><br />Add to that that I have to make sure that the van gets at least 4 stars in crash test ratings, 3 stars in rollover, has a good engine, not crappy gas mileage, and isn't known for having expensive problems (for that model year) like the blown spark plug problem on '97 to '03 Ford Econoline vans with the 4.6 and 5.4 triton engines, and certain problems on Chevy Express vans (2007: transmission failure, 2006: fuel injectors, for instance), and vehicles older than 1996 are out of the question unless they are known to have airbags.)<br /><br />How the heck do these people I read about with vans doing vandwelling find a good van? &nbsp;The person who found a 25 year old van in great condition in a junkyard. The guy who bought a 5 year old ford extended club wagon van in excellent condition from an auction for only $8,000. &nbsp;The guy who bought an old chevy van in great condition for only $2,000. <br /><br />I don't know, I know something for sure that sucks: &nbsp;I live in Tucson, AZ where there are just not many vans for sale here (and usually they are overpriced), so I have to go 100+ miles to Phoenix to look for vans (and thus spend lots of money on gas and possibly stay in a motel.)

Wow, a motel stay for 100 mile trip?....different strokes I guess. People usually make do with what they find, or have dropped in their lap. Unless your looking to buy new&nbsp;you may&nbsp;just have to bend a little on your expectations.

I dont think you are going to find any used van for a decent price without some problems.&nbsp; Youre gonna have to be willing to find one with all the major things in good condition (engine/trans/frame/electronics) and fix or pay to fix some smaller stuff.&nbsp; Even some rust on the body is not too hard to fix. Just make sure the money you pay is proportional to the amount of work you will have to put into it.

I'm just seeking to avoid paying $3000 for a rebuilt engine, $2000 for a rebuilt transmission, $1000+ for a new paint job, $1000+ for fixing a head gasket leak, $1500+ for fixing blown spark plugs ('97 to '03 Ford vans), etc... &nbsp; What I'm basically looking for is a van that's not going to become a money hole. &nbsp;Plus, I'd hate for the van to break down in the middle of nowhere, have a tow truck haul it to some small town where the mechanic there will rip me off (because I wouldn't have a choice) and I'd be delayed by a day or so.

I tink your expectations are pretty high. You actually live in an enviable place to find good vehicles....I live in southern NM and if I am looking for any kind of vehicle, I look in the Tucson or Phoenix CL first....Denver next....what huge varieties of stuff to look at.<br /><br />What you are going through is the learning or training process to find a good rig...if you hang around with us on here folks are continually putting up ads for vehicles they run across and you can see what folks are looking at.<br /><br />How about you go to the intro section and do up a howdy thread to let us know who you are and so we can welcome you. Then you stick around and join in the conversation about vehicles and you will pick up tips and get a better idea of what folks are living in and how much they pay,etc.<br /><br />If in your intro you give us an idea of the area you live, what you think you need, where you will be traveling or camping...price range you can spend, as many details about you and your needs as you feel comfy with, we can help you or at least guide you a bit in finding what you want.....the market is totally glutted with good deals as the economy continues to tank....on the other hand you live in an area, as I do where there are lots of large Hispanic families and they are a big market for vans of all kinds...<br />Any way, Howdy from me and welcome to the family,<br />Bri

i bought a barley used maintained fleet van a 100 miles from where i live ....<br /><br />i prefer ford econoline [e-series] vans 3/4 ton ....<br /><br />blkjak ....

I just dont think you will ever find a used vehicle within a low price range that will come problem free

i think you need to be $8,000 plus ....<br /><br />plus -&nbsp;after i do buy one i check alignment, ball joints, <br />front bearings, battery condition, flush cooling system, <br />flush transmission, flush rear end, clean fuel injection system, etc. ....<br /><br />blkjak ....

^ So much for the advice on the cheap rv living website: &nbsp;http://cheaprvliving.com/Howtochooseavehicle.html<br /><br /><span style="font-size: small;">"&nbsp;For $2000&nbsp;<br />or less you can buy a good used car, van or pickup"<br /><br /><br />Sorry, it's things like looking for a used vehicle that makes me feel cynical and untrustful, looking vehicle after vehicle with hope and having it dashed after I see the vehicle or I come home and do my research.</span>

we all have differing opinions on what a good vehicle is ....<br /><br />i guess that i am use to better reliable things ....<br /><br />blkjak ....

^ It's not so much the price but the amount of risk I'm taking on something (vandwelling, likely fulltime) that I don't even know will succeed or not.<br /><br />I'm not a dishonest person so I'd have a hard time selling a vehicle to someone if the vehicle had serious problems, as a result I'd lose significant money.&nbsp;

^ i understand ....<br /><br />gas is too expensive for me&nbsp; ....<br /><br />i could not sell a bad vehicle to someone but many people can ....<br /><br />blkjak ....

sometimes you have to look farther out than you had originally intended, sometimes pay more, sometimes change priorities, in options, almost always you'll have to learn to do some maintenance yourself, unless you're wealthy.<br /><br />&nbsp;I took me 2 years to find a van, and had to double my original price i planned to pay, and since have found many, many sources for vans for sale.<br /><br />Keep Looking, its out there somewhere.<br /><br /><br />

okay. here are some shopping rules:<br /><br />1)&nbsp; You have to limit your time.&nbsp; else you will search forever.<br />2)&nbsp; Find exact make and model and year.&nbsp; Use consumer reports, or other unbiased reviews.<br />3)&nbsp; Create a list of plus and minuses, and weight the decisions.&nbsp; How important 1 to 5.<br />4) Find something with a large community of enthusiasts.&nbsp; Others will be able to guide and diagnose problems.<br />5)&nbsp; If you can find a seller who will give you an oil sample in a jar (bring the plastic jar) then send off the oil to be tested.&nbsp; extremely rare to do this, but would be helpful.<br />6)&nbsp; use the basics.&nbsp; NO LEAKS.&nbsp; coolant is good looking.&nbsp; oil on dipstick is good looking.&nbsp; Starts and runs under stress (flooring it) with no issues.&nbsp; cold and hot.&nbsp; Brakes will stop you.&nbsp; no shudder, no pulsing brakes. Tires do not have cupping or weird wear patterns. &nbsp;<br />7)&nbsp; owners has receipts for all repairs, and records for oil changes, hopefully.<br />8) owner will stand by it.&nbsp; no issues.&nbsp; you can even do an ebay purchase, and get the ebay motors insurance thing.<br /><br />

blkjak said:
i think you need to be $8,000 plus ....<br /><br />blkjak ....
<br /><br />Blkjak I know you mean well and I love you fella but 8000 bucks is out of range for a lot of people. Maybe on a second van when you are saving up. For me it would take at least 4 years to save up that much. And I want to be out in &nbsp;my wheel home tomorrow! HA!<br />&nbsp;<br />I also am finding it hard to find a van.....actually any decent van.

I had got an older van, 98 ford hi-top passenger van. Only had 42,000 miles on it at the time. Paid $4,5oo, have put right at 10,000 miles on van. Only thing i have had to do is change oil. Got it off craigs list and there were several who had called on this van. When i called, the owner said the 1st one who shows up with cash gets the van.&nbsp; Did i mention i had been looking for a good year when i had bought this van. Found lots of vans with 100,000+ miles, rusty vans, and a lot of vans the owner was really proud of. Read $$$$. Hang in there, one day YOUR van will show up. Good luck.

blkjak - i think you need to be $8,000 plus ....<br /><br />"Blkjak I know you mean well and I love you fella but 8000 bucks is out of range for a lot of people."<br /><br />.... and 8000 bucks is not out of range for a lot of people ....<br /><br />i do mean well and i am not addressing those who are in a lower price range ....<br /><br />at any low price range it is a gamble it could be a good vehicle or it could be a troublesome vehicle ....<br /><br />we should address a specific price range ....<br /><br />blkjak ....

Got ya!!! Mine is lot lower LOL I get what your saying. So true. maybe my next one. I just need this one to run for one year and then I am good.

^hi she .....<br /><br />what is your price range for now ....?<br /><br />blkjak ....

I bought my 1987 Shorty Chinook conversion van with 85K miles and it had been garaged for it's entire life. I bought it in 2009 for $2700 and felt I paid top dollar...The only trouble I have had with it are things that wear out on every vehicle...nothing serious and I do my repairs long before the part breaks and leaves me stranded. <br />Something I learned as a mechanic and especially in charge of fleet maintenance...your Preventive (PM) Maintenance is critical to keeping a fleet out of the shop and on the road.<br /><br />If you keep looking you will find the right rig...I drove 1000 miles round trip with a friend to buy mine....<br />Bri