How stealthy can a Class B be?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2000 ClassB and don’t worry too much about it appearing stealth. It’s a normal width, not a wide body, but has all the normal Roadtrek graphics and markings. I just park where it would be normal to see other cars, vans, or trucks, and make it appear from the outside as if no one is inside.

To do that, this is what I do. I don’t park until I am ready to turn in for the night. So I’ll hang out elsewhere until then. A dead giveaway that someone is inside is the drawn curtains across the front windshield, driver and passenger doors, and the side entry doors. SO once I park, I leave all those curtains open. From driving or walking by, it appears that no one is inside when looking though those windows.

The back and two rear side windows are tinted very dark and you can’t really see inside, so they also look dark and appear to be unoccupied. I do close those curtains since it looks the same from the outside whether open or closed. If someone went to the front windshield and shined a flashlight at the rear bed, it would be visible. So I hang a dark curtain across the rear isle at the foot of the bed for privacy. With just the rear curtains closed, and the privacy curtain (actually a dark fabric shower curtain), I have complete privacy in the bed area.

For all intents and purposes, unless someone actually plastered their face on the windshield and used a flashlight, they would think the van is empty and just parked. This has worked well for me all this year in my travels, parking in the city and suburbs around New England. Park where the van won’t look out of place, and you’d be fine IMO.

While I don’t live in my van, I do travel a lot. Last summer, 10K miles, over 120-150 nights in the van, much of it overnight parking in the manner descried above. The added conveniences of a the Class B over a standard van, and not having an issue with being ’stealthly’ makes me feel it was the right choice for me. I have a bathroom, shower, can stand up, AC, generator, decent kitchen, and generous water and holding tanks.

Think of it as hiding in plain site, and you will find many places to park overnight.

If your plans are to be "stealthy" in the city, perhaps wouldn't work too well; dead give-away just by looks. I guess it depends what context of travel and region you're in. I often think stealth (unseen) is more important however when I'm *out* there, not being in the city is the plan.

One of the strategies to stealth is moving every day (cities). Even in B or C, including van. Police patrolling in areas may notice...and come knocking.

Things that are out of place are noticed. Eggs, over medium on a plate with bacon and hash browns are gorgeous. Those same eggs, on your brand new three piece suit are glaringly out of place and immediately noticeable to anyone who cares to look.

Every van is out of place in one context or another.

You're really only as stealthy as those who are looking choose to ignore you.

I agree with hepcat. thinking you are actually hiding(stealth) is highly overrated. anybody who wants to know, knows. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I agree with hepcat. thinking you are actually hiding(stealth) is highly overrated. anybody who wants to know, knows. highdesertranger

It's more important to 'blend in', then be stealthy. Exactly the same, but completely different ;)

A 36' RV is very stealthy if parked in a RV dealership lot, where as a white van would be out of place. The same RV parked at a construction site would stick out like a sore thumb, where the nondescript white van would fit right in. Either of these will stick out if parked in a quiet residential neighborhood. Blending in and choosing the right environment to do so is more important IMO than the vehicle chosen.

Any vehicle can blend in and be stealthy if the surrounding environment is chosen carefully.