• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

How should I price my van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoGirl

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on how to figure out at price for the van I want to sell?

I wasn't sure in which thread to post, so please accept my apologies if this is the wrong thread.

That’s a question I’ve not thought much about because I have never tried to sell one. The Only one I sold went to the junkyard. My thoughts I would think that you have to separate the vehicle from the build. Determine what the vehicle is worth and that Can often be determined by what they call Book value. That is usually determined by three factors; the year, the mileage, and the condition There are several “book value” guides out there, I would compare several before making a decision.l Then you have your build you can’t get a great price for your build unless you’re professional and things are top notch. Most of the bills I see you are amateur like mine and do not have much resale value, but you ought to at least get a good percentage of the value of the equipment like solar And electrical, plumbing, Refrigeration, of course that value is also determined by three factors the age of the equipment, its condition, And maybe what it would cost to replace. If it’s nearly new you can get maybe 90% Of what you paid for it. Of course the fact that it’s installed and working right away might have a little bit of influence on that price. But if the equipments older but still functioning well I think you’re looking at about 50% of what you paid for it. I don’t think you’ve ever be able to get anything for your time and energy spent building. Just my opinion for whatever it’s worth. I just like responding to these things and thinking about them I am by no means an expert. God bless The Nomads all of them.

tx2sturgis said:
Look for comparables on ebay, craigslist, and local ads, as well as kbb.com

I've put that on my to do list. Thank you! Kind of difficult to find comparables but I should be able to get a range of prices this way.

nature lover said:
That’s a question I’ve not thought much about because I have never tried to sell one. The  Only one I sold went to the junkyard. My thoughts I would think that you have to separate the vehicle from the build. Determine what the vehicle is worth and that Can often be determined by what they call Book value. That is usually determined by three factors; the year, the mileage, and the condition  There are several “book value” guides out there, I would compare several before making a decision.l Then you have your build you can’t get a great price for your build unless you’re professional and things are top notch. Most of the bills I see you are amateur like mine and do not have much resale value, but you ought to at least get a good percentage of the value of the equipment like solar And electrical, plumbing, Refrigeration,  of course that value is also determined by three factors the age of the equipment, its condition, And maybe what it would cost to replace. If it’s nearly new you can get maybe 90% Of what you paid for it. Of course the fact that it’s installed and working right away might have a little bit of influence on that price. But if the equipments older but still functioning well I think you’re looking at about 50% of what you paid for it. I don’t think you’ve ever be able to get anything for your time and energy spent building. Just my opinion for whatever it’s worth. I just like responding to these things and thinking about them I am by no means an expert. God bless The Nomads all of them.

Book value for the base vehicle...check
Value of equipment x % ...check
Ok. I got some figurin' to do
Thanks for your thoughts! I'm taking notes

Welcome to the forum, GG. If it's an unconverted van, the best place to look is cargurus.com. If it's been converted, you might check this website to look for something comparable. If it's been converted, it's still kind of a crapshoot, depending on what's in it.

https://conversiontrader.com/

Qxxx said:
Welcome to the forum, GG. If it's an unconverted van, the best place to look is cargurus.com. If it's been converted, you might check this website to look for something comparable. If it's been converted, it's still kind of a crapshoot, depending on what's in it.

https://conversiontrader.com/

Thanks! I have put CarGurus and conversion trader on my list!  :D