How much van to buy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldenbound

Reaction score
Hey everybody.
Well, I have about $7,000 saved for a van so far. Now I'm thinking what year/how much do I still need to save?

I think from the "reliable van" thread, I'm prejudiced against Ford Econolines. Don't think the engine barfing up spark plugs. I wouldn't even consider Dodge, so I won't even say anymore. That leave Chevy Express. Seems like a lot of people like them.

So, I don't want something too old. I want a van that can last 10-15 years. I"ll be about 54 when I leave for the road, so something to last until I'm pushing 70. Plus, I can't do my own repairs. I do maintain vehicles very well, and I have a professional mechanic who I trust to do the mechanical work.

So how old to go? What years did Chevy have those good 5.3 and 4.8 liter engines? If I got a say, 2008 van now, I'd have time to make sure it's in tip-top shape before launch date. If I get something relatively new, like 2012, I'll be saving for a loooong time. Rest of the year for sure. Then I'd have to rush to get the construction done.

Kind of throwing out a lot of thoughts here, but let's hear it. How much should I save and when should I start looking? What are the "good years for the Chevy Express?

One thing I do need to hear is "have patience!" That's hard for me, since I've wanted to do this for so long.

waldenbound said:
Hey everybody.
Well, I have about $7,000 saved for a van so far. Now I'm thinking what year/how much do I still need to save?

I think from the "reliable van" thread, I'm prejudiced against Ford Econolines. Don't think the engine barfing up spark plugs. I wouldn't even consider Dodge, so I won't even say anymore. That leave Chevy Express.  Seems like a lot of people like them.

So, I don't want something too old. I want a van that can last 10-15 years. I"ll be about 54 when I leave for the road, so something to last until I'm pushing 70. Plus, I can't do my own repairs. I do maintain vehicles very well, and I have a professional mechanic who I trust to do the mechanical work.

So how old to go? What years did Chevy have those good 5.3 and 4.8 liter engines? If I got a say, 2008 van now, I'd have time to make sure it's in tip-top shape before launch date. If I get something relatively new, like 2012, I'll be saving for a loooong time. Rest of the year for sure. Then I'd have to rush to get the construction done.

Kind of throwing out a lot of thoughts here, but let's hear it. How much should I save and when should I start looking? What are the "good years for the Chevy Express?

One thing I do need to hear is "have patience!" That's hard for me, since I've wanted to do this for so long.

All I can tell you from looking at them (mostly from afar) that if you get into the late 2010 and up vans you get that nice 6 speed tranny with them. 

Penske was selling 2010 's with 1ooK on up model for about 10K I think.  

From what I'm reading and I read all over the internet on them - if you keep any of the vans from the last iteration -from 2003 on in shape  - they'll last a long time.  I checked out an Expediters Forum - some of the vans on there had several hundred K on them.

I know there's a lot of bad feelings towards the Econolines but in my journeys through the internet I heard a lot of good things about them - they're just not very fun to drive! I would go with the Chevy/GMC as well.

waldenbound said:
Hey everybody.

I think from the "reliable van" thread, I'm prejudiced against Ford Econolines. Don't think the engine barfing up spark plugs. I wouldn't even consider Dodge, so I won't even say anymore. That leave Chevy Express.  Seems like a lot of people like them.

Work and save a little longer and get the best van with the lowest mileage you can and be able to do any maintenance you need to do right away. You want this this to last for 10-15 years. How many situations have you read about where people either chose to or were forced to head out with older, high mileage vehicles and then ended up having multiple, expensive, major mechanical problems that put an end to their plans? Especially if you will not be doing your own work, if it only takes you the few more months to the end of the year to get a better, newer vehicle, do it. I never heard of anyone being sorry that they wee better prepared and had a more reliable van. What's taking an extra couple months for construction compared to 14 years of better prepared travel?

gcal said:
Work and save a little longer and get the best van with the lowest mileage you can and be able to do any maintenance you need to do right away. You want this this to last for 10-15 years. How many situations have you read about where people either chose to or were forced to head out with older, high mileage vehicles and then ended up having multiple, expensive, major mechanical problems that put an end to their plans? Especially if you will not be doing your own work, if it only takes you the few more months to the end of the year to get a better, newer vehicle, do it. I never heard of anyone being sorry that they wee better prepared and had a more reliable van. What's taking an extra couple months for construction compared to 14 years of better prepared travel?

Ah, sage advice here. Yeah, I should just save until the end of the year, should have at least $16,000 by then. Then I'll see what $16,000 can buy. Obviously look at mileage, though I'm sure contractors put in a lot of miles per day. Look for rust. Then change all fluids, iffy belts and hoses. New tires before I leave.

For my build, I'm thinking about $500 for plywood, polyiso, reflectix. Then hire help to build the floor and walls. (Got some cool looking cork flooring!) Go to an RV service place and get a fantastic fan and floor vent put in . Get solar installed somewhere on my way down south.

Yep, I'm trying to plan this carefully, so my plans don't end up stuck in the mud.

Patience will get you much further but also think about the peace of mind that comes with a better vehicle. You won't be driving around wondering when the vehicle will break down and how much it will cost this time.

I don't know how reliable they are as they're fairly new, but you might also take a look at the Nissan NV, especially if you desire a high top. You stated that you're prejudiced against Ford Econolines, how about the Ford Transit? I believe Bob's recommendation would be to buy the best van you can afford.

introverting said:
..... how about the Ford Transit?  I believe Bob's recommendation would be to buy the best van you can afford.

First year for the North American Transit was 2015, and most sold new for $35,000 or more. So quite a bit more saving time to go for the OP if considering that route.
Probably the best van for living in ever produced by any manufacturer though.

DreamTransit1 said:
First year for the North American Transit was 2015, and most sold new for $35,000 or more. So quite a bit more saving time to go for the OP if considering that route.
Probably the best van for living in ever produced by any manufacturer though.

I originally wanted a Ford Transit, but a $35,000 vehicle to sit in the middle of a desert? I dunno, I'll check prices on used Transits after the Class of 2015 has a couple of years on them. I think they will be too expensive.

I'm not going to be able to save large amounts of cash in a few years, saving all I can now, and around fall/winter of 2017, I have to make a decision and buy something.

waldenbound said:
I originally wanted a Ford Transit, but a $35,000 vehicle to sit in the middle of a desert? I dunno, I'll check prices on used Transits after the Class of 2015 has a couple of years on them. I think they will be too expensive.

I'm not going to be able to save large amounts of cash in a few years, saving all I can now, and around fall/winter of 2017, I have to make a decision and buy something.

I went all out and got the tallest longest Transit with all kinds of options, but scrimped on the conversion.... all Harbor Freight and Home Depot/Lowes, plus mostly used beds and things. all secured in place with bungees, magnets, and cable ties.
But then again I'm becoming a van dweller by choice after a 40 year career practicing dentistry.
It'll be a while before "affordable" Transits hit the used market, but when they do they will be a great option.

introverting said:
I don't know how reliable they are as they're fairly new, but you might also take a look at the Nissan NV, especially if you desire a high top.  You stated that you're prejudiced against Ford Econolines, how about the Ford Transit?  I believe Bob's recommendation would be to buy the best van you can afford.

I really looked at those, too.

I know some don't care about mpg, but for me it matters, and all the reports that I could find on the NIssan NV pointed to average 12-13 mpg; which for me was a deal breaker.

DimondColorCloud said:
I really looked at those, too.

I know some don't care about mpg, but for me it matters, and all the reports that I could find on the NIssan NV pointed to average 12-13 mpg; which for me was a deal breaker.

I liked the Nissan NV but its a pretty small van actually and more costly because they're mostly newer. They're nicely laid out though. I checked out a NV site and people with the 1500's were getting as I remember 17-20 on the highway. The 1 tons on the other hand get horrible mileage.

My consideration about the Transit was cost, low clearance and small tires. It's also a unibody but they seem to be pretty tough. Ptjer than that, really a pleasure to drive.

I found that the Chevy/GMC's had nice power, a nice drivetrain, a big box, good clearance, a tough ladder and frame suspension and decent MPG for a van.  For what I'm doing - out on the dirt roads - they seemed like the right choice.

Since you did not mention capacity, let me suggest a 3/4 ton. I have a 1/2 truck, everything I do to modify it has to be super light. When you add up plywood and framing for shelves, food supplies, water, batteries, solar panels, generators, and the dozens of other things that make life easier, it soon overloads a 1/2 ton vehicle. You can put air bags and other suspension accessories on them, but the brakes are designed to stop 1/2 ton, (1000 lbs).
If I deduct my weight, (200), 10 gallons of water 80lbs, 20 gallons of gasoline 120 lbs. 5 gallons of propane 20 lbs. 2 batteries 120 lb, you see where this goes? So far I have used up 540 lbs. and that is no cabinets, food, clothing, camping / cooking gear.
Hauling weight around is going to cost you fuel economy. So the decision is how many comforts can you live without to get the best economy. Some can travel with a backpack, tent and sleeping bag, others need a 30' rv pulling a trailer.

"I want a van that can last 10-15 years."

This reminds me of a discussion way back in the '80s as I was thinking about buying a personal computer. What's the best one? Which is most up-to-date? Which one is right for me? And so on. My tech savvy friend said, "Look, stop treating this like it's the last computer you'll ever own. It's not. I know, they're expensive and you don't want to be replacing it every couple of years, but you will." And he was right.

Sure, a van is a major purchase, but you'll probably end up getting another one sooner than you thought. Unless you don't drive much.

MrNoodly said:
"I want a van that can last 10-15 years."

This reminds me of a discussion way back in the '80s as I was thinking about buying a personal computer. What's the best one? Which is most up-to-date? Which one is right for me? And so on. My tech savvy friend said, "Look, stop treating this like it's the last computer you'll ever own. It's not. I know, they're expensive and you don't want to be replacing it every couple of years, but you will." And he was right.

Sure, a van is a major purchase, but you'll probably end up getting another one sooner than you thought. Unless you don't drive much.

I know the right van will come around eventually. I can keep a vehicle going. I have a 14 year old Toyota Corolla that runs perfectly. I do plan on getting a 3/4 ton, cargo capacity is important. I'm thinking 300 lbs of constructions materials, batteries, water, fuel, 500 lbs. My personal effects, about 500 lbs. I'm shooting to bring on board 1,500 lbs. Oh, solar panels weight also.

As for "how much van," I'd go for an entire one. ;)

waldenbound said:
Hey everybody.

Well, having owned one of each (1978 Chevy g20 1984 E-350 and a Dodge B1500) 
I'm now pondering Chevy, Ford, Dodge and GMC...
I'll say one thing. I bought my Chevy van and 3 days later, the tranny left me...had to eat $700...but after that, van ran great, even went 5 miles on a blown water pump (Love that old steel horse 350)
You cannot ever predict what will happen when you leave the lot. 1,001 things and more could go wrong....Or nothing...When you buy used (With no warranty) well, you know it can happen...
Having read up on the spark plug issue, that was occurring on TRUCKS not vans...
http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/triton-engine/spark-plug-ejection.shtml

I can't explain why that site doesn't list the Ford vans, but they have the very same badly engineered engine and they blow the plugs in the exact same way. I have friends it happened too in their vans.
Bob

FWIW, I recently did a search about the spark plug issue in Ford trucks and vans and while you should be careful, it may not be an issue. I've read that GM trucks and vans can have weird electrical issues. Sure wish Toyota would sell its Hiace cargo van here in the U.S.

introverting said:
Sure wish Toyota would sell its Hiace cargo van here in the U.S.

I just saw one advertised on the Nashville CL. IIRC, it's coming from out of state somewhere...

introverting said:
FWIW, I recently did a search about the spark plug issue in Ford trucks and vans and while you should be careful, it may not be an issue.  I've read that GM trucks and vans can have weird electrical issues.  Sure wish Toyota would sell its Hiace cargo van here in the U.S.

OMG don't tell me that. I may be buying a van in two days!

Anybody, thoughts on this van (below)? Words of encouragement? Break a leg?
Good grief, I don't like car shopping, but I like having the car. :blush:

I found a 2011 Chevy Express 2500, 4.8 V8, it is a fleet vehicle, basic work van, cargo divider, barn doors, 110,000 miles. It has bins and things I can remove. Someone smoked in it, and on the outside there is a little ding with a little rust. Is the rust fixable? We don't use salt on our roads, (hurts the salmon), but it is awfully wet.

I have an appointment Tuesday to have my mechanic who I've known for over 10 years look at it. I'm not a hard-balling negotiator by any means, I do know they are NOT getting my car as a trade-in. I'm leaving my car at home. If I just get a mechanically sound van I will be happy.

Ok, nomad nation, what do you think?