How many nomads are preppers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I know about climate change is it always has changed and always will change. Adapt or die.

"sushidog" had some interesting Thoughts. Part of which follows: "Small, highly mobile, sustainable communities with diverse skill sets (such as prepared, independent, but like minded rubber tramps) can move, assemble in an area in short notice, and when threatened, can disassociate and dissolve back into the faceless crowd, making us impervious to a group attack, ensuring most survive. The key to the success of this strategy this would be reliable, secure communications. Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this, post internet/cell towers?"

"Independent but like minded Individuals." This seems like the basis for intermittent cooperation within mutually caring and mobile social constructs.

Uh..."...reliable, secure communications? Hmmm...different ways to use the latest technologies? Or the retro approach? Messenger Pigeons, CB Radio, Heliograph...laser relay? Or an imaginative system of all of these? I think Messenger Pigeons have to have a settled established base (roost) to go to but, even with this requirement might still be able to serve in some capacity. Dogs? Especially those breeds that were bred for tracking? Give them a sniff of message receiver scent (doesn't necessarily have to be a Human scent) and send them?

I think there is potential in "Telepathy" too. Who amongst Us has this talent?

Safety for "most" in dispersal would work, but maybe We should also consider skilled fighting defense, as a United People? I guess this depends on who is coming at Us and Our Location.

"sushidog" also shared: "Anyone who's seen the series Firefly or the movie Serenity knows what a reaver is. If you look like another reaver, the real reavers won't target you because they think you have nothing they want."

Hmmm. Interesting variation of "social camouflage" in this idea.

Dan 1 said:
To "SheketEchad". Don't give up on your personal quest to become "More and Better" through your learning to do with less. It looks like you have a Good Positive Spirit and ultimately your losses will be nothing, compared to what you gain.
Thank you, Dan.  I try and stay positive, or, as my kids say "Look at everything through rose-colored glasses".  I've also found it better to write about the rough spots, rather than talking to others always, as sometimes talking to people makes them feel compelled to try to solve things, rather than just listen. 
And when one considers how much even the least of us has here in the US, compared to much of the world, then my issues often feel mighty darn small when examined under that perspective.

If the gas pumps run dry and the grocery shelves empty, we've all gotta go to ground sooner or later. Might as well make it sooner and keep the tank and pantry full for Plan B. In the next couple of years, I hope to develop a small network of organic farmers who would accept me in such an event.

In the event of an economic crash, as long as the dollar doesn't hyperinflate and the FDIC keeps insuring bank accounts, I'm golden.

Regarding "slow emergencies"...I have drastically scaled back my consumption as a living protest against the rampant greed that is destroying our planet. The end goal would be to quit van dwelling altogether, sleep in a more natural shelter. Though I have ran into a guy who sleeps in a tiny camper towed by a solar-powered electric bicycle. That's about as green as the mobile lifestyle can get.

Only so much you can do in a van. But have a bug out van and solar is a nice prep perk.

I have a gravity water filter. I have a duffle bag with a month's food for 4 ppl. Life straw. I mean all the camping stuff is pretty much prepped stuff also.

ok we have already been asked nicely once. we are veering way off topic. the topic is "How many nomads are preppers". any post that is not on this subject will be deleted. so if your post is gone you know why. highdesertranger

SheketEchad said:
I used to be a prepper . . . when my husband died unexpectedly, and I lost my job within a year of that, it turned into almost an illness which I am trying to recover from: the fear that I might run out of something that I need to survive.  Going on the road is part of this for me - letting go of that fear and learning to live lighter. This is the really hard part for me, and it is painful, but I'm working on it. 

Ah, you're talking about self-awareness and what you've written is truly a golden nugget. Anyone who groks your words and takes them to heart would surely benefit. Thanks for sharing your experience so candidly. Truly a gem.

Sorry HDR,
I reckon the only true prepping would be a liveaboard yacht ready to go to sea at a moments notice. Windpower (both to power electricity and the boat) , aux small biodiesel engine, solar, large food hold (including seeds) , water maker from sea water and not many zombie's out that would know celestial navigation. Guess you could even grow food on islands you might find uninhabited later. ???? who knows.

rokguy said:
Sorry HDR,
I reckon the only true prepping would be a liveaboard yacht ready to go to sea at a moments notice. Windpower (both to power electricity and the boat) , aux small biodiesel engine, solar, large food hold (including seeds) , water maker from sea water and not many zombie's out that would know celestial navigation. Guess you could even grow food on islands you might find uninhabited later. ???? who knows.
As long as you could handle tsunamis and overly large storms. ;-]

No Bermuda triangles down under. I'd be more concerned about Cape Horn. You guys realise you could sail anywhere in the world.

It sounds like most who responded are not preppers.

I want to share a link to a book that was assigned in college in the 80's. It is about a boy who grew up during the Great Depression. Average people who experienced that era were not preppers, but had to be very resourceful. Maybe some of you will find it interesting.

A Nickle's Worth of Skim Milk...

http://www.librarything.com/work/2884716/reviews/145300259

Darn, I surely blew it on that one. Should have been "One if by van, two if by sea".

Well, there are a whole bunch of posts that were deleted here, so my last 2 posts #96 and #97 are totally out of context. But not too strange, I guess, for someone who posts a lot to the YARC thread. Hmmm ...