How many nomads are preppers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the reason I will never get rid of my home base, you can't imagine the lumber, plumbing, scrap metal, tools, hardware, fasteners that I have on hand for just about any project on my farm. I also keep a large stockpile of guns/ammo, food, water, and other living supplies that would not be able to be brought along on any of my trips.

If a SHTF scenario occurs while I am on the road, it would be a paramount mission of mine to return to the safety of my castle.

I do think it is naive not to have spare fluids, belts, tools, and supplies on any trip. I carry a small air compressor, a jack, and always have way more food/water/drinks than I will need.

ckelly78z said:
........, it would be a paramount mission of mine to return to the safety of my castle.

Assuming the castle has not already been looted or destroyed?   Too many scenarios to consider is the main reason I do not Prep.    Keeping an eye on what I carry and how long I could survive on what I have with me is the end limit of worry about what might happen out of my control.

i went to elite east coast boarding schools but definitely not a preppie.

Ticklebellly said:
Assuming the castle has not already been looted or destroyed?   Too many scenarios to consider is the main reason I do not Prep.    Keeping an eye on what I carry and how long I could survive on what I have with me is the end limit of worry about what might happen out of my control.

That's if they could even find my castle, it's off grid and doesn't even show up on Google maps with the address assigned to the property. Got a stashes across the US just in case though I always keep enough fuel onboard to return from anywhere in the US to my castle. Might have to plow few vehicles out the way from mass traffic jams but I can manage with 20k lb battering ram.
As ex infantry war vet I got plenty of food for few months at all time, I keep in shape and keep my skills sharp. I've seen growing up first hand what natural disasters can do in disrupting the system, not to mention the war zones I have been in and seen it.
Can't prep for all scenarios but you can adapt if you know how to or have done it before. :thumbsup:

That's awesome Weldman!

Having a well concealed home base is crucial. Having some strategic emergency caches along usual travel routes might be good too.

Among nomads, I wonder if it might make sense to have a group share a home base, allowing someone to always guard the property/supplies in shifts? A remote parcel of land with water access and just a simple structure for storage would be sufficient. If a shtf scenario develops everyone could return and hunker down in their rigs.

Weldman said:
That's if they could even find my castle, it's off grid and doesn't even show up on Google maps with the address assigned to the property. 

That's proper prepping!!!!   Lots of thinking ahead there.

badmotorscooter said:
That's awesome Weldman!

Having a well concealed home base is crucial.  Having some strategic emergency caches along usual travel routes might be good too.

Among nomads, I wonder if it might make sense to have a group share a home base, allowing someone to always guard the property/supplies in shifts? A remote parcel of land with water access and just a simple structure for storage would be sufficient.  If a shtf scenario develops everyone could return and hunker down in their rigs.
I think the nomads who are off grid already have a better chance than 75% of America as is. Groups work best if there is functioning unit cohesion along with actual great leader, hence there is no "I" in team (yes I know there is an "I" in winner).  Junk vehicles make great entrances to underground homes plus added factor of energy efficient. Worried about having someone to always guard, its called gorilla warfare, set traps up that alert you and find the most remote area possible. Set yourself up a range card with your traps, layout of the land and with other markers on the property (small stuff like rocks painted on one side that you can see at intervals) I can go on and on....
Now where did I put my meds :p

Mobility is a huge 'prep' in and of itself.
Fun fact but birds are technically 'dinosaurs'. A very compelling theory exists that the reason that some were able to survive after the asteroid impacted earths biosphere was their ability to traverse enormous distances and find food, unlike any other living creature.

I'm a full-steam, unapologetic building dweller and would have it absolutely no other way, but after having been impacted by back to back hurricanes and dealing with the chaos that caused (even with civilization and support services fully intact), I definitely got a taste of how being able to take a house on the road and live someplace else for a while was a tactical advantage and would be hugely valuable if things ever got really bad.

if big trouble comes down gas will be your worst nightmare.
mobility only happens in vehicles if the vehicle can get gas and if the roads are clear. big disasters the roads are dead ends with millions of vehicles....so....hunkering down is actually the best way to survive something huge happening.
Great if ya have wings tho :) Then ya gotta hope a water supply is not effected etc. Big troubles means everyone is mostly screwed!

You might be along with majority who run on gas but, there is another way besides gasoline or diesel. Some of us can convert to vegetable oil with our diesel engines. Lastly some of us also know how to ride horses that help to get around and a team of them can pull some loads. Hunker down if you may but the best defense is an offense.

I raised horses for a living :)
good luck finding vegetable oil long term. ain't happening.
I am talking a 'real disaster' when the world is chaotic.
a team of horses can pull a load only if the area is open to pull some wagon etc. A lone rider can continue, a wagon train ain't truly going anywhere.

a hunkered down offense is best in any true insane disaster but even then it will be a nightmare.
I watched a show on the 'breakdown' of society/resources/nuclear meltdowns will happen to reactors etc. if ALL goes insane. It was absolutely frightening. There is no true offense in the end. Location and dig in and survive and be able to move if your location is compromised and move to where? Ahhh, heck I can't think about truly. Those types of scenarios are gonna be end of days for most.

I have to balance reasonable amounts of energy/focus dedicated to long term living vs quality of my life NOW. I probably spend more energy on long term living than most people but applying a military type outlook on life, where everything is about survival, is not how I want spend my days. Nobody makes it out of here alive and I want a life as full of joy as possible.

I agree that there is all levels of prepping.   But the Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared" considers the immediate needs. 

Most of us who would go on the road in whatever vehicle we have are going to be venturing into a frontier.  It ain't your great great great grand parents frontier of the 1850's however.  Today there are  big box stores, gas stations, motels,
campgrounds with improved facilities etc about everywhere especially east of the Mississippi River.

To take loads of stuff is to go homesteading.  

On occasion some of the Mormon kids stop by my place on a Saturday morning doing their missionary work and explaining their faith.  I've asked them about their prepping and have been told that they should have 1 years worth of provisions laid by.  But in the event someone were to have a disaster (such as their home burning down)  materials could be given from these stores and later replaced.   So there is that consideration to prepping too.  And after awhile the stuff reaches it's end limit so it can be donated and used before that happens and thus rotated out and get used and not wasted.  

Prepping can and should be a reasoned activity.

agree MaTaLa...I so got into prepping and one day said, why? IF is a big word. 2 little letters. IF...I know I can live today and enjoy, the IF is in the future and I don't go there much anymore :) Older I get, the today is more important than the IF.

We are at the beginning of a SHTF situation and there is nowhere on this earth to get away from it.Record temps,floods,tornados,hurricanes,etc.

Every since I was a kid there were the people holding signs stating "the end is near". Hasn't happened yet. Having said that, IF I survive whatever it is that happens, we do have quite a bit of canned stuff to last awhile and a small arsenal to hold off the hordes IF it comes to that. I know I keep at least three months of coffee. :) If I am out traveling, hopefully I can supplement my stores with hunting and trapping.

HAHA, I hear ya :) If the SHTF ya might as well have some comforts before ya go down!

Spaceman Spiff said:
Most Mormons are peppers.
Almost all rural people are to some extent.  All ranchers are.  Most farmers are.  Even if they don't call themselves that or think of it that way; they have to prep because of their isolation.

To answer OP's question.  Not enough storage for long term prepping.  I can go 5 weeks if I have access to water, two weeks without water.  I don't have room for more calories or more than 14 gallons of water.
Speaking of "Mormons", I wonder how many of them are full-time Nomads? About the limitation of Nomad Prepper Supplies: It might help to establish "One Week Caches" in as many "secret spots" as One can manage. Sometimes they get "found" by Hunters, or Campers, (I had one that was found and the whole shebang was taken.), but if they are one week size that may leave you other ones to go to in time of need.