How many nomads are preppers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmotorscooter

Reaction score
With all the boondocking and many people having solar, it seems the nomadic life style would be a good fit for preppers/survivalists?

I have enough trouble prepping breakfast,let alone the end of the world.

Most Mormons are peppers.
Almost all rural people are to some extent.  All ranchers are.  Most farmers are.  Even if they don't call themselves that or think of it that way; they have to prep because of their isolation.

To answer OP's question.  Not enough storage for long term prepping.  I can go 5 weeks if I have access to water, two weeks without water.  I don't have room for more calories or more than 14 gallons of water.

Preppers generally have large stores of water, food and fuel. There is no place to store that stuff when you are in a van, motor home or trailer. I can easily go a month but after that.......

For a very short term disaster probably, but anything serious going on for longer than a few days or "maybe" a few weeks, I feel it's not a good way. Once it stretches into months, you're going to have a real problem keeping marauding hordes at bay (who will be beyond desperate for "your stuff"), fuel will be an issue fast if you need to stay on the move. An RV will be easy to spot and a major target when SHTF...

Spaceman, 5 weeks is a good amount of insurance.

That would give you a reasonable amount of time to figure out how to cope with a bad situation.

Even though I like being independent and living remotely, prepping requires to much storage room while staying mobile. I often do without but usually only for short periods. I don't think it possible to prepare or survive most end of the world scenarios. Even while in service in a Titan II missile silo the best we could hope for was six weeks survival, and truthfully who would want to live in the world that was left. I would rather try to prevent than prepare.

You guys are coming up with some very credible and reasonable opinions, much appreciated!

I carry enough food for approximately 1 month. especially if I supplement it with some wild game/fish. I was just raised that way. highdesertranger

Spaceman Spiff said:
Most Mormons are peppers.

Not so much anymore. They used to be big on food storage, but that was about the extent of their preparations. Nothing about fuel, tools, sanitation, etc. First the message was a 2-year supply of food, then it became a 1-year supply, then enough to make it through an extended job loss or natural disaster. The program lost its end-of-the-world urgency with the end of the Cold War and after Y2K came and went without Jesus returning. Now my Mormon relatives are no more or less prepared than the average person.

I believe, but am not certain, that the Amish and old-order Mennonite are preppers of a sort, believing in always having a 6 month supply of food on hand.

If you ever have a chance to visit an Amish grocery store, about any conceivable fruit or vegetable can be purchased dehydrated, in bulk, also a vast array of grains, cereals, flours, etc., also in bulk.

I always have at home, and carry when traveling, a supply of shelf stable foods for “just in case”.

I also carry a bug-out bag, with a couple of days worth of food for myself (Cliff Bars) and vacuum sealed for the dog, water purification tablets, Mylar blankets, first aid supplies, etc., which could be another thread.  :sleepy:

You never know what a day might bring, good to be prepared.

bullfrog said:
 in service in a Titan II missile silo 

I'm just curious--have you been to the Titan II Museum near Tucson? It was one of the most interesting places I've visited. It was odd for me, having grown up in the Cold War when these sites were the most super-secret places in the world, to now see tourists inside snapping photos with their cellphones.

I have enough with me, supplies wise, to last at least 6 weeks. Water? I have skills to harvest water in many situations. Shelter, heat, and enough fuel to move if I need to and can? Check. Am I a prepper? No, if I was a prepper, I would have a plan B should my van get destroyed in the Greatly Feared What If?

I don't claim to be anything but when I started visualizing my break from mainstream it included a heavy duty, yet practical, vehicle, capable of carry/towing heavy loads, 4x4, with mechanicals being easy as possible to repair. I also envisioned a remote, off grid parcel of land, to use as headquarters, with sustainable water and diverse topography.

I think I'm some kind of hybrid, lol. I pretty much got the vehicle/camper with the exception that the 7.3 powerstroke isn't the easiest to maintain....in a few days the property scouting starts.

I doubt that the real "preppers", who are basically pretty much paranoids and think society is coming to an end very soon, are a large segment of the RV population much less a large segment of the population as a whole. But they certainly are a vocal segment when it comes to using technology to get their messages out there.

There are quite a few people who have moved into vans and such who want to get away from the cities who are "fed up" with society but that is very different that being paranoid about the end of the world as we know it disaster stuff.

Of course "preppers" are not the same thing as having a disaster preparedness kit on hand. Those types of kits are something the government wants all citizens to have on hand for emergency situations.

Living a life with a delibertly reduced amount of reliance on technology is also not the same thing as being a "prepper" although you can of course be a prepper and also live that way. But not all preppers chose to actually live that way, they just want to be prepared in case they have to live like that.

I always keep a lot of beans because if there's a food shortage I could sprout them and have fresh vegetables that way. Bean sprouts are usually sweet and delicious. I also store water, but once I get into my van I won't be able to store as much. Really, if things go bad we'll probably run out of gasoline before we run out of food.

nomadic lifestyle truly doesn't fit real preppers format. Real prep is hunker down in a fortified living arrangement, stockpiles of food, batteries, solar, back up water supply situations, fuel storage, weapons/ammo storage, real stock med supplies like antibiotics on hand and much more. It is for long term survival when the SHTF.

thing is you can't store quantities needed in van or rv. And being nomadic you aren't hunkered down to really defend your stuff.

Preparedness for small disaster, sure....we do that. I have extra this and that in my rv for just in case. Can't go overboard cause there just isn't room. We kinda got into prepping a bit when we farmed. I had the means to kinda go into that area and researched water purification, etc. and as time went on I got more into screw the hunkering down and defending our lives against XYZ and just started adopting the live life on the road and roam free and if the SHTF then we survive as long as we can like everyone else and what goes down goes down :)