How Many Miles are good and bad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterRoger

Reaction score
Have read that in addition to excessive mileage, extremely low mileage is just as much as a problem. Has anyone else experiences this?

Thinking of a class C older unit.

Well kinda depends on how old the vehicle is, I bought a 1995 3 years ago with 98k which I consider to be a low mileage vehicle.

There's a number that insurance companies use for RV policies, pretty sure it's 20 weekends. This categorizes the RV for a policy. So 200 mile weekends times 20 = 4000 miles annually ... 400 mile weekends times 20 = 8000 annually... etc. Perhaps this view can be helpful in determining high/low mileage vehicles, sort of a baseline for comparison purposes. With wagoneer's example, 1995 w/98K miles is about 4900 annual miles (98K/20yrs) so using the insurance company's profile you can see that it is a low mileage vehicle.

One good thing about slide in camper in California is it's considered cargo with the tailgate closed since I paid nothing for it WTH I just insure the truck.

I think you might be talking about a rig that wasn't used much. Sitting around isn't good for a lot of mechanical things. Seals dry out brakes rust. A generator can be total junk if it hasn't been run monthly. Whereas if you see 80,000 or more miles, you figure a lot of things were probably fixed already or it wouldn't be still going. It's something to consider.

can go either way. bought a 2007 class a with 9400+ miles on it. everything was fine. bought a 2005 class a with 33,000 and floor was bad, gen wouldn't run, had rust issues, slide toppers were shredded. It did however run excellent. I think a lot depends on where in the country you find one. Ladies and gentlemen... Todd and Margo.

Attachments

• DSC01356.JPG
    DSC01356.JPG
    88.9 KB