How is Matamoros...?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny flank

Reaction score
So I'm gonna soon be in Brownsville TX for a while and was thinking about a day visit across the border to Matamoros. But I see there are all sorts of State Department warnings that it's not safe for gringos there, and lots of travel websites advise people not to go there.

What's the scoop? If I cross the border will I be kidnapped and dismembered or whatever? Is there a tour group in Brownsville that does day trips into Mexico?

I haven't crossed the border there in at least twenty years. Steeped in poverty and I did not have a good feeling about it then. We only went in a few blocks for meds and got right back out. Haven't been back since. I don't know what it's like these days.

There is a company in Brownsville that runs 5 hour historic tours with time given for shopping into Matamoros. But I am not seeing any recent reviews posted on them which might probably means that there are not a lot of people taking tours because of the warnings rather than the tour company not being a good one. 

But if you don't read Spanish then perhaps you could get a friend to look at the local newspaper from Matamoros and see if it publishes a crime report or if their local police department post one online. Those reports will give you a good idea of the relative safety at the current time and location.

I have a buddy that grew up there and he has a brother in Brownsville he is going to call this evening.
I will get you some up to date info. for you later today. Stay tuned!

He talked to his Brother in Matamoros and he said that it has been very peaceful there because there are a lot of Gringos vacationing there. I don't know why it would be more peaceful "because" there a lot of gringos running around but it sounds like the problems are nothing like they were 8-10 years ago. Have fun if you go!! :)

^^ Okey doke. Thanks. Maybe I'll give it a shot after all.

EDIT: If I get kidnapped and held for ransom, we can all take up a collection to get me out, right? :)

Lenny don't go with Plan B being dependent on getting money from this group! LOL!!!

I would go to the border and see whats going on. Maybe talk to some people if possible. See what the traffic looks like, (any motorhomes) good luck!!

I use to go with family as a kid 25-30 years ago. No way I'd go now

You might have had a great time, but then you went ahead and mentioned it. Experience tells me you're screwed if you do it now! Lol. If you do go, hope you have a fun and safe time.

57DE6FD6-52AD-41B9-B9B1-04FE8550304D.png

Despite the warnings about Mexico travels, I’m hoping to hook up with a caravan to Baja after the RTR.

Attachments

• 57DE6FD6-52AD-41B9-B9B1-04FE8550304D.png
    57DE6FD6-52AD-41B9-B9B1-04FE8550304D.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 29
Tbaldwin. There is a Facebook group rving in Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you keep going west to Deming, NM, and still want to go to Mexico, you might consider this: the Puerto Palomas crossing is very convenient and very safe. I just spent a month at the LoWs campground in Deming (Loners on Wheels), and they go to Palomas as a group every Tuesday. There is a business in Palomas, The Pink Store, and they run a big store and very nice bar/restaurant. Right around their store they have kind of a Gringo Services Plaza with pharmacy, optical, and dental offices all within one block. Nice people, very cheap, and safe. There is a parking lot that can accommodate even big rigs right before the border, so you can park there and walk in. The Pink Store you can see from the border, less than a block.

The Dire Wolfess

Matamoros is a dull border town with cheap hotels and good grocery stores a little farther on, including a Mexican H-E-B. The most visible effect of the violence is the drastic downtick of cross-border tourist traffic, which makes the downtown rather lifeless. At least that's how it was when I visited last December during an epic cold snap.

Playa Bagdad is decent, and you probably could camp on the beach. Watch for soft sand though!

Also the State Department info is infrequently updated, and thus does not accurately reflect reality. I prefer this website: http://www.semaforo.com.mx/ Except for domestic violence, Tamaulipas appears to be one of the safer states in Mexico.

From a friend who lives in Brownsville:

'I think it's ok during the day. Don't take the car. Progreso is better. It's like a sandboxed mall there. Even in the worst shit in 2010, the federales had snipers protecting shoppers. The lines coming back over the bridge in Matamoros can take hours on busy days."

Well, I found a tour guide who does day trips into Matamoros from Brownsville, so unless I have some weird last-minute paperwork issue, I'll be heading into Mexico on Wednesday morning.

Alas, I wanted to go see the Mexican War battlefields here in Brownsville, but they are all closed because of the shutdown. I don't know if they will reopen before I leave or not. I may have to resort to jumping the fence.    

:angel:

OK, spent the day in Matamoros. Tour guide was great, had a wonderful time. Didn't get kidnapped.  :)  Actually felt perfectly safe. There were visible heavily-armed Mexican police though.